Will Tyler Davis play in the NBA?

2,588 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by basketballaddict44
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Alex Caruso thread was a fun look back as he proved almost all of us wrong so let's call our shots now on Tyler. Personally I don't see him being an NBA player but it wouldn't shock me to see him eventually make the end of the bench with the right team, possibly the Spurs.
CypressAg09
AG
I think he may start off in the g league, but I believe his real basketball career will start in Europe. He seems to be a very determined and hard working young man that could work his way in to being an NBA player.
czar_iv
AG
I say, 'Yes'. The dude is just going to out-work everyone and make a team and a 10-year (or more) NBA career.
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
TXAG14
Doubtful. His future is in Europe.
JRB78
AG
I don't see him as a starter, but its not hard to imagine him someday making an NBA roster. I hope he does.
bobinator
AG
I think he will.
jeffdjohnson
10 years ago, yes. Today, it is hard to see it. Unfortunately this isn't the best era of NBA basketball for Tyler Davis' skill set. He would have been valued quite a bit even just 10 years ago.
bobinator
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

10 years ago, yes. Today, it is hard to see it. Unfortunately this isn't the best era of NBA basketball for Tyler Davis' skill set. He would have been valued quite a bit even just 10 years ago.
A counterpoint to that would be that it's easier to play in a few NBA games now than ever before. So if the question is just "Will Tyler Davis play in an NBA game?" I think there's a really good chance.

According to sports-reference, 540 players appeared in NBA games this season (compared to 450 ten years ago.)

For all the "everyone was wrong"-ing about Alex Caruso, he's a part-time player (played in less than half of the games) which isn't something that happened a lot ten years ago. So even if, at bare minimum, Davis can just snag a spot in the G-league, I could see him getting moved up for at least a few games.
expresswrittenconsent
jeffdjohnson said:

even 10 yrs ago he would have a hard time because he isnt really big enough to be a shot blocker and guard other 5's and he isnt really fast enough to guard NBA 4s.

i think his future is probably europe but i wouldnt put it past him to develop an outside game and a 3 pt shot and grind his way to a career as a bench big in the nba.
Method Man
TXAG14 said:

Doubtful. His future is in Europe.
Does he have a European game?
halfastros81
AG
I think he will. It might take a few yrs.
CactusThomas
AG
If the league has a spot for Jack Cooley, then there is a spot for Tyler Davis.
hoya-ag
AG
No.
hoya-ag
AG
I think this explains why.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-the-nba-abandoned-roy-hibbert/
Aston04
AG
Made an a$$ out of myself in the Caruso nba or not thread, so giving a prediction in this thread a hard pass.
cedar
Great guy and I hope he does but I don't see him ever making it in the NBA .
BBDP
AG
This board has become a lot less dogmatic about this stuff which show some maturity.

I agree with everyone above for the most part.

Alex was athletic and big enough to play multiple positions. He had to improve his game which is mostly work ethic..... everyone should have known Alex had a good chance.

Tyler has the work ethic without doubt...... and the skill. I think he lacks in size and athleticism. If he had one he would be a shoe in.
I think he can increase his athleticism a good deal still but one untimely injury and he could miss his window. I hope he makes it!
Hickory High
AG
In today's NBA, you can't be a 5 if you can't play above the rim every night, and you can't be a 4 if you can't hit a shot outside of 10 feet.

Tyler hasn't shown he can do either, unfortunately.
Method Man
His jumpshot will improve now.
TyperWoods
Hope so. Doubt it.
bobinator
AG
I actually think he's a better shooter right now than people think. He didn't shoot enough threes to have a sample size worth evaluating, but the fact that he shot 28 of them last year after shooting just one his first two seasons makes me think he must make them in practice.

At the college level his inside game was so valuable that him taking jumpshots made things too easy on the defense, but I think he's already been working really hard on it so I wouldn't be surprised to see that development continue.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Aston04 said:

Made an a$$ out of myself in the Caruso nba or not thread, so giving a prediction in this thread a hard pass.
Ah, that's no fun. Here...I'll post for you what you wanted to post...0% chance. Less than 0%. Less chance than hell freezing over, pigs flying, or A&M winning a men's national title in something that doesn't involve horses or batons. Feel free to bump this if I'm wrong. Signed: Pumpkinhead.
expresswrittenconsent
typical
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

jeffdjohnson said:

A counterpoint to that would be that it's easier to play in a few NBA games now than ever before. So if the question is just "Will Tyler Davis play in an NBA game?" I think there's a really good chance.

According to sports-reference, 540 players appeared in NBA games this season (compared to 450 ten years ago.)

For all the "everyone was wrong"-ing about Alex Caruso, he's a part-time player (played in less than half of the games) which isn't something that happened a lot ten years ago. So even if, at bare minimum, Davis can just snag a spot in the G-league, I could see him getting moved up for at least a few games.
This is a pretty good point by Bob. I think everybody agrees that Tyler doesn't seem to really fit the type of post player that the NBA is going for nowadays. But he seems to have a great work ethic and good character (like Caruso) and though the odds are still long, there do seem to be more potential opportunities to maybe step on an NBA court. Those 2-way G-League contracts are nice and Caruso, House, and Jalen Jones all managed to grab one of those to get on NBA courts.

It probably will largely depend on whether Tyler decides to just immediately go overseas and start earning some decent money right away, or he tries to grind it out in the G-League for at least a year or two as Caruso did to see how that goes. Or manages to catch one of those 2-way contracts right away.

Alex said that once you go overseas then typically you are 'out of sight/out of mind' on NBA scouting radar, so once/if we see Tyler go that route, then I'd guess that would probably be that. Worse case he'll be a guy like Elston Turner, Josh Carter, etc. earning a good paycheck in an international league.
Agnzona
Speaking of style of play would Dennis Rodman play in today's NBA?
mallen
AG
Good point. How often do we see American basketball players start overseas and then end up in the NBA? I would be curious to know the statistics. At this point, Tyler needs to be thinking about how long he wants to play overseas and if he's okay with just an overseas career because it's a realistic path that NBA might not be a possibility.

And if the overseas route doesn't position him well for a shot at the NBA, what alternatives does he have and how realistic are those alternatives?
Hickory High
AG
Agnzona said:

Speaking of style of play would Dennis Rodman play in today's NBA?
100% yes. He was a very very very very rich man's version of Tristan Thompson.

He could defend guards like Tony Allen, forwards like Kawhi Leonard, and posts like Draymond Green.

He could finish around the hoop as well as play above the rim, even at a height of 6'7.
basketballaddict44
I think he'll get a shot with a bottom-tier team eventually. While he lacks ideal height, he makes up for some of that deficiency in physical strength and game fundamentals. He strikes me as someone who will work on his jump shot and make it to the league on a short-term contract in a few years.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.