So Asst. Coach Amir Abdur-Rahim is Peacing Out

4,902 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Method Man
Deputy Travis Junior
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did we like him? I can't even remember what the midseason pot-banging looked like
hoya-ag
AG
https://georgia.247sports.com/Article/Georgia-basketballs-Tom-Crean-reportedly-close-to-hiring-Amir-Abdur-Rahim-from-Texas-AM-118315659
Pumpkinhead
AG
Deputy Travis Junior said:

Did we like him? I can't even remember what the midseason pot-banging looked like
As long as someone was not the athletic director, a player, someone on the coaching staff or board of regents, a booster with any influence, responsible for ticketing or promotional marketing, or involved in any way with concessions or the design and management of the sports facilities/parking...if the person was not any of those cases...then there is a small chance nobody on TexAgs often 'pot-banged' about him or her.
Pumpkinhead
AG
And interesting news BTW.
Deputy Travis Junior
Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks pumpkin.

So anybody else relieved that this scrub is leaving?
TMartin
Will somebody with head coaching abilities (Stansbury type) be hired?
mallen
AG
Abdur-Rahim is from Marietta, Georgia where he played high school basketball. He also coached at Georgia Tech for a stint. Crean is looking for assistants who can recruit the state and Rahim fit the bill.
Method Man
His contribution will be missed...I think.
agcrock2005
AG
Method Man said:

His contribution will be missed...I think.
sharpdressedman
Looks like a very good move for him. Coaching longevity is ephemeral, and he very likely sees both a good opportunity in the present and an employment search in his near-term Aggie future.
Basketball and Chain
AG
This staff needed a shake up
phorizt
So I guess we have no chance with his nephew now
GE
AG
A change was necessary, but not necessarily Amir. Chew and Amir seem to both be primarily coaching/development coaches while Maligi is primarily a recruiting coach. Hopefully we can go get someone who is a good mix of both elements but more on the recruiting side than the others.
Tobias Funke
AG
"Longevity is ephemeral" is a very strange phrase
Artimus Gordon
Cross from UTA. Is he stil available?
Hop
Staff
AG
I think he went to TCU.
MarcAg
AG
Hop is correct. We missed the boat on Cross.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Gonna miss Coach Amir. Had the chance to meet him multiple times and was always super kind and appreciative of everyone that supported he team. He's a good coach and better person, and I wish him the best with his career
Mikeyshooter
AG
MarcAg said:

What are the chances that BK would hire an assistant with head coaching experience? It's clear he's not going to step away anytime soon. So why would he hire someone that could be a logical choice to take his job?
DukeMu
Basketball and Chain said:

This staff needed a shake up
Wait - doesn't that mean there's no ACs left from 2016?
DukeMu
MarcAg said:

Damn. Huge miss.
DukeMu
Mikeyshooter said:

MarcAg said:

What are the chances that BK would hire an assistant with head coaching experience? It's clear he's not going to step away anytime soon. So why would he hire someone that could be a logical choice to take his job?
You mean because he's done it before...

..and reneged on the *alleged* deal?
Aston04
AG
DukeMu said:

Mikeyshooter said:

MarcAg said:

His hand was forced when he hired Rick. It was either a big shake up or good chance he was done.

Not same scenario now. So, I doubt a splash hire like that will be made. A head coach looking over his shoulder next year doesn't maximize his chances of hanging on to the job longer.
GE
AG
Aston04 said:

DukeMu said:

Mikeyshooter said:

MarcAg said:

His hand was forced when he hired Rick. It was either a big shake up or good chance he was done.

Not same scenario now. So, I doubt a splash hire like that will be made. A head coach looking over his shoulder next year doesn't maximize his chances of hanging on to the job longer.
If Kennedy fails here in the next couple years, I would doubt we would replace him with someone from his staff, even if that person has head coaching experience. More likely we would go external for a current head coach.
Mikeyshooter
AG
I don't think he's concerned about failing and losing his job to someone on staff. I think he's concerned about doing just good enough and being asked to step down when there is a competent coach on staff to take over for a smooth transition.
Method Man
I agree. BK is a mercenary who cares more about himself than Aggie basketball. Note...all coaches are mercenaries not just BK, but some of our coaches are treated like they're Ags. They're not. They sure like our money, though.
mhayden
I've wanted BK gone for quite some time but even I can't fault the guy for not wanting to hire a potential replacement.

I wouldn't want to do it in my career, I certainly can understand why he wouldn't want to either.

BK isn't a very good coach but I don't expect him to turn down money. It's our AD handing him the $$$ and the keys.
TyperWoods
Robert Montgomery Knight is available, tanned, and rested. Has proven track record as HC.
Method Man
I agree with all that. I'm simply pointing out this man cares about A&M more than he cares about us and that we should put A&M over him. He's not an Ag. He's been paid more than fairly for his results.
mhayden
Method Man said:

I agree with all that. I'm simply pointing out this man cares about A&M more than he cares about us and that we should put A&M over him. He's not an Ag. He's been paid more than fairly for his results.

No doubt. But that's gone on here since the dawn of time. If you questioned the direction of the program under Turgeon you were burned at the stake... until Turgeon left and then everyone knew all along that he was tanking the program.
AgsNguyen
AG
OK I saw atleast a 2-4 times a game last year BK would yell out something or signal a defense and a black assistant coach would come up to him and talk into his ear. Then BK woud turn around and call a different defense. Wasn't tht Abdur Rahim? He would sit right next to BK on the bench.
Steeple
it will be a lot easier for him to recruit than if he stayed for BK's final lame duck season
Deputy Travis Junior
Lol. Unless he decides to retire he's got at least 3-4 more years here, even if he misses the NCAA Tournament in every year.

That Sweet 16 was huge for his job security
Method Man
Every assistant is black...except the old dude.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.