Off Season Program Discussion: LSU

1,653 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Double Diamond
_lefraud_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In his first season, Will Wade had LSU playing very competitive, going 8-10 in conference, which was T9th. He had to piece together a roster, which he did with transfers and a solid recruiting class, #17 class in the nation for 2017. It didn't take him much time at all to get players and put together a roster, interesting.

Wade followed up the 2017 recruiting class, by landing the #4 recruiting class for 2018. Expectations should be fairly high in Baton Rouge, as Wade returns nearly everyone, and brings in a ton of talent for the second straight year, he will also have the big man from Oregon who sat out all last season.

LSU is a solid job, located in the heart of some athletic players year in year out. They have solid history, but have really been on the back burner the past couple of decades thanks to football. My concern with Wade is that he is pulling players from other parts of the country, not just Louisiana. Of course, LSU will have to overcome the great and well researched "GOM" conundrum to ever cut down the nets in April.
bobinator
AG
I could use a lot more words, but the short version of my opinion of LSU is that they're about to be a big problem as long as Wade doesn't implode.
Hop
Staff
AG
Vandy also recruited lights out last cycle. There will be movement in the pecking order next season and beyond.
Method Man
LSU always recruits lights out and rarely does anyting. Fin.
Method Man
That doesn't mean Wade won't be successful.
bobinator
AG
Hop said:

Vandy also recruited lights out last cycle. There will be movement in the pecking order next season and beyond.
I think this will be pretty fascinating over the next couple of years. There's been some hires that seem good, but there are only so many wins to go around.
Pumpkinhead
AG
As the hires of Shaka Smart (Texas), Bruce Pearl (Auburn), Ben Howland (Miss State), etc. have recently shown...even if the recruiting looks great, doesn't mean a quick turnaround is in the cards. All three of those guys above started pulling in 4/5-star rated recruits right out of the gate. And...

Then there is a guy like Cuonzo Martin who the Vols ran out of town and had a 'good recruiter/mediocre X's/O's' reputation. And he got Mizzou back into the NCAA in Year 1 despite losing his highest profile 5-star guy on the first day. So who knows. As Bob said, math says every game somebody loses and somebody wins. For every riser, there has to be a sinker.

If Kennedy is truly outmatched by all the other SEC coaches, then it shouldn't take much longer for him to sink to like 6-12 or worse during SEC conference play. Which will eventually get TexAgs out of the current ambiguous 'He made the Sweet Sixteen two of the last three seasons but we still hate him' situation one way or the other.
GE
AG
I'm with MM
DogCompany74
AG
If Kennedy is truly outmatched by all the other SEC coaches, then it shouldn't take much longer for him to sink to like 6-12 or worse during SEC conference play. Which will eventually get TexAgs out of the current ambiguous 'He made the Sweet Sixteen two of the last three seasons but we still hate him' situation one way or the other.

Wanna bet?
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
GE
AG
DogCompany74 said:

Wanna bet?
Wanna bet what?
DogCompany74
AG
Pumpkin said:
"Which will eventually get TexAgs out of the current ambiguous 'He made the Sweet Sixteen two of the last three seasons but we still hate him' situation one way or the other."

I doubt anything he does will stifle the debate .
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
bobinator
AG
Trying to pull this back in, what do we think of Wade? Seems like a really good coach, but also kind of a clown. That crap with Louisiana-Lafayette was ridiculous.
PJYoung
AG
bobinator said:

Trying to pull this back in, what do we think of Wade? Seems like a really good coach, but also kind of a clown. That crap with Louisiana-Lafayette was ridiculous.

If I was a fan of LSU I would've loved it.

And yeah, he looked like a clown to everybody else.

I am guessing he is less of a clown as (or if) the program becomes respectable.
mdanyc03
AG
Quote:

Expectations should be fairly high in Baton Rouge, as Wade returns nearly everyone, and brings in a ton of talent for the second straight year,
That depends on if Waters is back. He was by far their best player. I believe Duop Reath was a senior and he was probably their second best player.
LSU Baseball Fan
Waters will definitely be back. He's not the type of player that gets drafted high as a freshman.

We are super excited for next year, espcecially with the football program being a joke until Yaw Yaw gets canned. Wade has completely turned our program around from the dark days. Last year's team was very competitive, despite being the least talented LSU team in a long time. I'm excited to see what Wade can do with this talented team.

I'm hoping he's the next Billy Donovan that can build us back up to our former glory. We have a rich basketball history. Just need the right man at the helm.
Double Diamond
Wades a good coach.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.