Robert Williams skipping combine

6,008 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wacarnolds
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Per yahoo sports.
BBDP
AG
I would think the combine would help his stock?
Ags #1
AG
How so? They know he can block shots and jump out the gym. What's left to prove?
PatAg
AG
exactly
MMantle
AG
Maybe, convince someone that he has even a modicum of an offensive game?

RR
Tobias Funke
AG
MMantle said:

RR

Boy we sure love to **** on our own here, don't we. He has some developing to do, but saying he doesn't have a modicum of an offensive game? Get out of here
Bayside Tiger Ag
No need for him to attend.
All you have to do is look at his footage against UNC.

Maybe a windmill dunk or two, too.
PatAg
AG
MMantle said:

RR
That's not something you do at the basketball combine.
superunknown
AG
Maybe he's already got a guarantee he's happy with? I was kinda hoping he'd drop to the spurs but if he's got a guarantee it's unlikely.
Method Man
He'd be a better fit for Rockets than Spurs. JMO
Serious Lee
Ags #1 said:

How so? They know he can block shots and jump out the gym. What's left to prove?
exactly. hes being drafted on measurables. no reason to give them another reason to pick him apart when he doesnt jump 47 inches or have that reported 7'4 - 7'14 wingspan.
BBDP
AG
I agree if you are a top pick .... but if you are late 1st round (even middle) and your numbers are freakish (which I expect his are), then you go and show people you are a freak. IMO.
Skip the events you want but show up and get measured on the things you are good at.
GE
AG
Method Man said:

He's a Capela starter kit with a slightly different skillset
MidTnAg
AG
Projections I have seen so far have Robert being drafted between #12 and #16.
Not sure why he completely opted out of the Combine.

He probably did not want to go thru any of the physical drills because they would not improve his draft status or might even lower it.

Regarding the non-physical activities, maybe he was worried about the measurement process or the medical testing (includes that dreaded drug screen test).

Maybe he just did not want to participate in those exhilarating interviews.
Gap
AG
Why is this important? Last year, only 3 of ESPN's projected top 10 picks attended the NBA combine. Kevin Durant says it is worthless.
MidTnAg
AG
I don't care what Durant said, his opinion is not shared by the vast majority of collegiate players. It was worthless to him and other superstars. They can only decrease their stock, not increase it.

Only two college players considered for the Combine opted out this year.

Arizona's (7' center) Deandre Ayton, the consensus #1 pick opted out. He definitely had no reason to attend the Combine. Robert is the only other. Not sure what he was afraid of at the Combine. Any chance of him landing into the Top 10 was probably completely blown.

There will be 68 college students at the Combine. Only 2 that could have been aren't.
And there are many more who wished they were.

68 out of 70 is a pretty high percent in favor of the Combine.
That means it is very important to vast majority of college students.

Hogg, Davis, and Gilder were sure hoping to be at the combine, especially Hogg.

Wonder where Hogg will be watching the Combine from?
Wonder if his agent has gotten him any tryouts in Europe? Or China? Or Never-Never Land?
expresswrittenconsent
BBDP said:

I agree if you are a top pick .... but if you are late 1st round (even middle) and your numbers are freakish (which I expect his are), then you go and show people you are a freak. IMO.
Skip the events you want but show up and get measured on the things you are good at.

Weird that you seem to think he won't be able to meet with any teams or workout for any teams.
BBDP
AG
Do you think he will get measured by everyone of them?

Combine is the best way to climb in the draft at this point... .. but you can fall also.
Bondag
AG
GE said:

Method Man said:

He's a Capela starter kit with a slightly different skillset
He is Capela with a wingspan and a vertical game without trying.
t - cam
AG
Think he ends up top 10.
PatAg
AG
MidTnAg said:

I don't care what Durant said, his opinion is not shared by the vast majority of collegiate players. It was worthless to him and other superstars. They can only decrease their stock, not increase it.

Arizona's (7' center) Deandre Ayton, the consensus #1 pick opted out. He definitely had no reason to attend the Combine. Robert is the only other. Not sure what he was afraid of at the Combine. Any chance of him landing into the Top 10 was probably completely blown.

There will be 68 college students at the Combine. Only 2 that could have been aren't.

Wonder if his agent has gotten him any tryouts in Europe? Or China? Or Never-Never Land?
I don't think you know anything about the combine besides the facts you just google searched.
DukeMu

RW is going to the Clips in every mock I've seen. No reason to go to the combine. There's already an agreement.
Aston04
AG
PatAg said:

MidTnAg said:

I don't think you know anything about the combine besides the facts you just google searched.

Yeah, he didnt research his posts at Evans like the rest of us reputable texags posters!!
CreedBratton
MidTnAg said:

There is no reason to have your jimmies this rustled over RW opting out of the combine.
LawHall88
AG
Quote:

Robert Williams | Texas A&M | C | Age: 20.5
There's no greater collegiate casualty in the draft than Williams. While he hasn't done himself any favors with his up-and-down motor, combine no-show and the fact that he's already on his second agent, A&M also robbed him of opportunities to play to his strengths.
1. Played PF not C, with no spacing
College basketball and the NBA look like two different sports at times, and A&M was a perfect example of that with two non floor-spacing centers in Williams and Tyler Davis playing next to each other and a prototype stretch-4 in DJ Hogg at the 3. Williams played almost exclusively power forward -- a rare position for him at the NBA level.
There's one stat in particular that tells the story of how Williams wasn't used appropriately. At 6-foot-10 with a massive catch radius, elite agility and explosive leaping ability, Williams was used in only 16 pick-and-roll possessions in 30 games, according to Synergy Sports Technology. Sixteen. That's just over one pick-and-roll possession every two games, and he rolled on only nine possessions all year. Nine rolling possessions in 30 games for the draft's best lob-catcher who finished a ridiculous 73.7 percent of his shots at the rim.
Why so few pick-and-roll opportunities? With Davis camped out in the paint and at times only one other shooter on the floor, there was no room for Williams to roll when A&M did decide to put him in ball screens. Williams didn't always screen or dive as hard as he could, but part of that is a function of him knowing it was unlikely he'd have an open lane or an accurate lob thrown his way.
The Aggies used Williams as a high-low passer or stuck him in the short corner, giving the still-raw center little opportunity to use his freakish tools. Playing him at the 4 on defense also put him out of position to protect the rim at times. Although he's the best jump-shot swatter in the draft, he didn't quite learn the ins-and-outs of team defense at the center spot in two years at the collegiate level.

Where does Williams see himself positionally?
"Honestly wherever I'll make money is where I see myself," Williams told ESPN during the NCAA tournament. That will certainly be at center in the Clint Capela mold.
2. Poor guard play
"I feel like I'll do well in the NBA because you got elite passers," Williams said. "You got guys like James Harden -- great passers."
Williams didn't have that with the Aggies, as A&M's guard play was uninspiring, to put it nicely. Far too many possessions looked like this:
Eventual starting point guard TJ Starks finished the season with 72 assists and 85 turnovers, regularly breaking free of the offense to create his own. With nowhere to roll and no one to throw him lobs, Williams floated, which bled over to other aspects of his game.
"It's just all effort, man, and that's honestly what I've been trying to improve on," Williams said. "This postseason my teammates have just been telling me I've got to keep my effort up, no lacking. I just try to keep that up and lead them."
Over the last five games of the season -- including three NCAA tournament bouts -- Williams gave scouts a glimpse of what he can be at the NBA level, as he averaged 15.2 rebounds and 4.8 blocks per 40 minutes, all while playing out of position.

How will it change in the NBA?
Situation will be key for Williams, who needs to be in a structured environment with strong vets to live up to his sky-high potential. But even outside of that, any NBA coach with a modern outlook figures to see Williams' value as a rim runner, lob catcher, switch-defender, rim protector and rebounder.
It will help to feed Williams a few lob attempts per game figures to keep him engaged on the defensive end of the floor, where he has the potential to be elite. Williams also has quite a bit of untapped potential as a passer, which could manifest itself in short roll situations when surrounded by shooters. While not every big man projected in the lottery fits where the NBA is headed, Williams is the ideal type of modern center that shines when surrounded by shooters and quick decision makers. He is loaded with tools and natural talent, and a playoff team with a winning culture could be smart to jump into the back-end of the lottery to steal the center, who is without a doubt a top-10 talent.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23591050/five-potential-nba-draft-steals-break-next-level
GigEmATL
AG
Sure wish we could have used him in the pick and roll more often.
eag2412
AG
This to me is the biggest condemnation of the coaching staff. Two years with an elite level talent and they couldn't figure out how to utilize/motivate him.

Doesn't matter who we recruit or get to transfer in, I don't believe that this staff has the schemes/adaptability to play and coach to the strengths of their players.
Wicked Good Ag
We had two centers playing at same time. Neither feed off of each other without solid point guard play which wasn't there for a huge portion of the SEC season in terms of getting offensive from the 5
Forum Troll
AG
Quote:

Williams was used in only 16 pick-and-roll possessions in 30 games, according to Synergy Sports Technology. Sixteen. That's just over one pick-and-roll possession every two games, and he rolled on only nine possessions all year.
Don't post on this board often but saw this on ESPN. What a complete joke.

Also on a somewhat related note, CBB should institute defensive 3 seconds.
Bondag
AG
Quote:

Williams was used in only 16 pick-and-roll possessions in 30 games, according to Synergy Sports Technology. Sixteen. That's just over one pick-and-roll possession every two games, and he rolled on only nine possessions all year.
We had two 5 players on the court. While TD is developing mid range game, no one had to follow either Tyler or Rob out the the 3 point line so the lane was always clogged when we would try to roll or post up because they could sag so far off.
wacarnolds
AG
DukeMu said:

RW is going to the Clips in every mock I've seen. No reason to go to the combine. There's already an agreement.

Yeah they a couple picks at the backend of the lottery and it seems like everyone has him going to LAC with one of those picks. Great opportunity for Robert
wacarnolds
AG
Bondag said:

Quote:

We had two 5 players on the court. While TD is developing mid range game, no one had to follow either Tyler or Rob out the the 3 point line so the lane was always clogged when we would try to roll or post up because they could sag so far off.
according to kenpom, TD and RW were only only the court together about 40% of the time at the end of the season. They were just as likely to be on the court with either TTM or Hogg at the 4 as they were to be out there together.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.