Commission on College Basketball calls for reforms to sport

1,831 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Method Man
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What do we think of these ideas?

Commission on College Basketball calls for reforms to sport

Quote:

The commission called for the NBA and its players' association to change rules requiring players to be at least 19 years old and a year removed from graduating high school to be draft-eligible. The rule was implemented in 2006 despite the success of straight-from-high-school stars such as LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett. The commission did, however, say that if the NBA and NBPA refuse to change their rules in time for the next basketball season, it would reconvene and consider other options for the NCAA, such as making freshmen ineligible or locking a scholarship for three or four years if the recipient leaves a program after one year.
Quote:

The commission did take a piece of the baseball model and recommended that basketball players be allowed to test the professional market in high school or after any college season while maintaining college eligibility. If undrafted, a college player would remain eligible as long as he requests an evaluation from the NBA and returns to the same school. Players could still leave college for professional careers after one year, but the rules would not compel them to do so.
Quote:

When it came to enforcement, the commission recommended harsher penalties for rule-breakers and that the NCAA outsource the investigation and adjudication of the most serious infractions cases. Level I violations would be punishable with up to a five-year postseason ban and the forfeiture of all postseason revenue for the time of the ban. That could be worth tens of millions to major conference schools. By comparison, recent Level I infractions cases involving Louisville and Syracuse basketball resulted in postseason bans of one year.
Quote:

Instead of show-cause orders, which are meant to limit a coach's ability to work in college sports after breaking NCAA rules, the report called for lifetime bans. The commission also said that coaches and administrators should be contractually obligated to comply with NCAA investigations.
Quote:

As for agents, the commission proposed that the NCAA create a program for certifying agents and make them accessible to players from high school through their college careers.
Quote:

The NCAA should require greater transparency of the finances of what it called non-scholastic basketball events and ban its coaches from attending those that do not comply with more stringent vetting, the report said. Such a ban could wipe out AAU events that have flourished in showcasing future talent.
wacarnolds
AG

Quote:

if the NBA and NBPA refuse to change their rules in time for the next basketball season, it would reconvene and consider other options for the NCAA, such as making freshmen ineligible
unbelievably stupid... so I half expect the NCAA to implement this

LouisvilleAg
AG
Quote:

The commission did, however, say that if the NBA and NBPA refuse to change their rules in time for the next basketball season, it would reconvene and consider other options for the NCAA, such as making freshmen ineligible or locking a scholarship for three or four years if the recipient leaves a program after one year.

Whoa! Locking a scholarship for three years would kill one and done immediately. Not too many schools would take a player at a detriment for a guaranteed two years of a loss of scholarship.
wacarnolds
AG
Rest of the suggestions seem fine (I like allowing undrafted players back into the draft), but seems like they're missing the forest for the trees by not addressing player compensation.

G-League just upped their salaries 40%, now $7k per month for the 5 month season, plus housing and insurance. They're coming for the talent and the schools can only build so many hot tubs and barbershops.
_lefraud_
AG
The NCAA just needs to lock in the scholarship for two years, or make it where if a guy goes pro after one year, that scholarship isn't available for at least one season. The G-League is going to be WAY more attractive than going to college. The NCAA can't wait around for the NBA, as the NBA is only going to do what is best for the NBA, they don't care two cents about the college game.
BQ_90
AG
Quote:

the commission recommended harsher penalties for rule-breakers and that the NCAA outsource the investigation and adjudication
The people that give the NCAA their power will never let this happen ie, the member schools

They don't want anything changed in enforcement of the NCAA "rules"
expresswrittenconsent
Does this group have any power or is this just a nice piece of meat for the sports media?
Aston04
AG
LouisvilleAg said:

Quote:

The commission did, however, say that if the NBA and NBPA refuse to change their rules in time for the next basketball season, it would reconvene and consider other options for the NCAA, such as making freshmen ineligible or locking a scholarship for three or four years if the recipient leaves a program after one year.

Whoa! Locking a scholarship for three years would kill one and done immediately. Not too many schools would take a player at a detriment for a guaranteed two years of a loss of scholarship.
No- it would just bring more parity to college basketball. Blue bloods would pass on some mega stars and they would end up more often at places like us or below us on the food chain.

I doubt that rule would ever go into place. UK, Duke, Kansas, UNC, etc. would never allow that to happen.

PascalsWager
AG
_lefraud_ said:

The NCAA just needs to lock in the scholarship for two years, or make it where if a guy goes pro after one year, that scholarship isn't available for at least one season. The G-League is going to be WAY more attractive than going to college. The NCAA can't wait around for the NBA, as the NBA is only going to do what is best for the NBA, they don't care two cents about the college game.
I don't understand this at all. There's nothing the NBA can do to make the G league interesting or meaningful. Part of following sports is following a guys career/narrative. I have a college memory of virtually every guy playing in the NBA playoffs. That is worth a LOT to me, other fans, and the NBA. They're not just selling the entertainment product; they're selling the player's story. And the story begins playing college basketball. I will never watch the G league.

Meanwhile I can't name 10 baseball players outside of my team. Because I don't have time to follow random Albuquerque Isotope games. I don't know what 26 year old rookie the Diamondbacks called up. In fact, I don't know a single Diamondback. Once my team is gone from the postseason I have no one to relate to and stop watching baseball (the TV ratings reflect this). The MLB draft is irrelevant, the minors are irrelevant (serve only for player development and hide the best young stars in the middle of nowhere and off of TV), and college baseball is irrelevant.

The fact that there is practically no larger baseball universe outside of MLB hurts baseball. Meanwhile NCAA football and NCAA basketball only help the popularity of the NFL and NBA. Even if it comes at the cost of player development, college revenue sports add to the entertainment product.
Gig Em5014
AG
Pascal,

You make some really good points and I agree with you for the most part. But, as we've seen with Trae Young and Ben Simmons recently, ESPN is using NBA storylines to promote college basketball. I could see a scenario where one & dones start heading straight to the G league and ESPN begins really promoting those games. Right now there's not a ton of interest because it's seen as a league of fringe players and an undrafted diamond in the rough or two. Imagine if they had 6 or 7 of the top 10 picks spending a year developing. Imagine Ben Simmons and Markelle Fultz working back from their injuries in the G League? I'm afraid ESPN would begin pushing G League games as the NBA is the money maker in the basketball world (except for 1 month and that only makes CBS/Turner Broadcasting money).

I still don't think I would personally watch but I would imagine that many of the diehard NBA fans would tune in to see their up and coming star play a few meaningless minor league games.
_lefraud_
AG
PascalsWager said:

_lefraud_ said:

I don't understand this at all. There's nothing the NBA can do to make the G league interesting or meaningful. Part of following sports is following a guys career/narrative. I have a college memory of virtually every guy playing in the NBA playoffs. That is worth a LOT to me, other fans, and the NBA. They're not just selling the entertainment product; they're selling the player's story. And the story begins playing college basketball. I will never watch the G league.

Meanwhile I can't name 10 baseball players outside of my team. Because I don't have time to follow random Albuquerque Isotope games. I don't know what 26 year old rookie the Diamondbacks called up. In fact, I don't know a single Diamondback. Once my team is gone from the postseason I have no one to relate to and stop watching baseball (the TV ratings reflect this). The MLB draft is irrelevant, the minors are irrelevant (serve only for player development and hide the best young stars in the middle of nowhere and off of TV), and college baseball is irrelevant.

The fact that there is practically no larger baseball universe outside of MLB hurts baseball. Meanwhile NCAA football and NCAA basketball only help the popularity of the NFL and NBA. Even if it comes at the cost of player development, college revenue sports add to the entertainment product.

Yea, season ticket holders don't care about where a guy went to college, and they certainly won't care if they came from the G-league. NBA has targeted the younger/diverse demographic for their audience, and yea, they don't care about any kind of story line prior to a player's career.

The NBA is pumping a ton of money into the G-League, and as mentioned here, the NBA is going to want to fine talent to fill these rosters. $7,000 a month is going to sound very attractive to anyone in the top 30 or so of the recruiting rankings
DukeMu

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23311712/commission-college-basketball-shares-recommendations-ncaa

In a direct reference to the recent NCAA investigation into academic fraud at North Carolina, the commission recommended the NCAA have jurisdiction into that area. She said the loophole that all students, not just athletes, were able to benefit from the fraudulent classes should not be a legitimate defense.

"NCAA-Formed CBB Commission: End 1-and-Done, Give Lifetime Bans to Cheaters"

wacarnolds
AG
Is this why the laugh/cry emoji was created?

Method Man
I would let the for sure studs go to G league. Don't need em. The game is fine without them. College is still a better option for most. I liked Bryan Davis or Tyler Davis more than Deandre anyways.
mikesyracuse1
Method Man said:

I would let the for sure studs go to G league. Don't need em. The game is fine without them. College is still a better option for most. I liked Bryan Davis or Tyler Davis more than Deandre anyways.

Syracuse lost Bazley, who had signed with the orange to the g league.

He thinks he's a trendsetter

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2018/03/darius_bazley_ditched_syracuse_for_g-league_in_hope_of_starting_trend_but_expert.html

Mikesyracuse1
Method Man
Good for him. He's probably not but the college game won't miss him.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.