Donovan

3,596 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mikesyracuse1
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just sayin'
Double Diamond
Kind of in a tough spot. Can't see how OKC doesn't give him more time. Well liked and though we'll of.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Pray he doesn't get fired this offseason because we don't have an opening.
Double Diamond
Billy gets another NBA gig the minute he is fired or sits. Nothing attractive open in college. OKC is a loser with Westbrook and Mello. The world of basketball knows this.
expresswrittenconsent
donovan would be a bigger get than jimbo.
even if we were to have an opening at the same time he was available i dont think we would pay enough to get him.
and even if hop and bobinator's BBQ sauce biz were to take off and allow them to become the tony buzbee of aggie hoops making money no issue, i still think donovan would tell us, "thanks, but i have better options".
Double Diamond
Yea Billy Donovan seems like a dream that can't happen. Just a different level from Jimbo. And Aggie football a different level to Aggie hoops. I don't see why Donovan does back to college. Has been good at OKC, in a really tough position.
Method Man
Maybe he can BK's assistant. Replace the old offensive genius.
expresswrittenconsent
Method Man said:

Maybe he can BK's assistant. Replace the old offensive genius.
christ, the servers would melt down from the arguments about whether billy d or billy k get the credit for the wins.
Double Diamond
Anyone not thinking it was Donovan would need to have their IQ checked. Even the Billy Kennedy BBQ crew would have no choice but admit Kennedy had met his match. Donovan is a good coach trying to coach a loser of a player in Westbrook.

Give Donovan Rubio with Paul George and something else he would better off. Mello also was a bad add.
GE
AG
Even when you don't have an opening sometimes you do have an opening if the right opportunity arises. There have to be backchannels that can be worked to see if there is even a glimmer of a hope.
Pumpkinhead
AG
He seemed like he was pretty burned out and sick & tired of the college game when he left, particularly having to roll around in the AAU scene recruiting mud and dealing with all that B.S. So maybe a longshot he ever comes back to college.

Double Diamond
I think it's a long shot as well. But it's also tough in the NBA with building a team. If I were OKC I'd keep Donovan and rid myself of Westbrook, totally rebuild. Tell Billy he is safe through the rebuild. I'm certain this wasn't what Billy signed up for, but he didn't know Durant would go belly up and bolt. Leaving him with a star you can't win with. George was never gonna resign with OKC so that's done. Either move Anthony or ride out his last year.
Mike Elko
AG
Somebody on this thread reeeaaallly hates Westbrook. (I won't say who.)
expresswrittenconsent
AustinAg2012 said:

Somebody on this thread reeeaaallly hates Westbrook. (I won't say who.)
it is interesting that he hasnt considered the possibility that donovan is just flat getting out coached this series.
Double Diamond
What would you suggest Donovan do? He was given a roster that isn't gonna play defense like Utah's will.
DukeMu
Method Man said:

Just sayin'

To sleep, perchance to dream.
DukeMu
Double Diamond said:

Anyone not thinking it was Donovan would need to have their IQ checked. Even the Billy Kennedy BBQ crew would have no choice but admit Kennedy had met his match. Donovan is a good coach trying to coach a loser of a player in Westbrook.

Give Donovan Rubio with Paul George and something else he would better off. Mello also was a bad add.
The GM really has hamstrung Donovan.
greg.w.h
AG
It's hardly Westbrook's fault. Just no there there. He was fine with KD and Harden before the ownership failed at life.
Harry Dunne
Harry Dunne
greg.w.h said:

It's hardly Westbrook's fault. Just no there there. He was fine with KD and Harden before the ownership failed at life.
They are screwed. PG is gone to the Lakers and they are stuck with Carmelo and his $28M salary for another year. With as bad as he has played, I doubt he will pass on that option. Their best hope is that he really does want a ring and opts to leave for a contender and chooses to opt out. But either way they are back to Russ chasing triple doubles for a 1st round loser.
Harry Dunne
DP
awschux
AG
Someone in college is going to hire Donovan and they are going to win a lot of conference and NCAA titles.

Lets make sure it is A&M who has the foresight and wisdom to act quickly and be ahead of the curve on this one and not constantly playing catch up to the smarter AD's.

Really need to have Donovan on our court at Texas A&M and NOT on Louisville's.
Pumpkinhead
AG
awschux said:

Someone in college is going to hire Donovan and they are going to win a lot of conference and NCAA titles.

Lets make sure it is A&M who has the foresight and wisdom to act quickly and be ahead of the curve on this one and not constantly playing catch up to the smarter AD's.

Even if he wanted to coach again in college...a guy like Billy Donovan would come to a Texas A&M...for why?

The football equivalent of Donovan deciding to go to Texas A&M would be like Jimbo Fisher taking the football head coach job at Texas Tech. We are not a major destination in basketball. And Texas A&M is not going to go throw a ridiculous '10 year $70 million' contract to try to insanely money-whip a whale hoops candidate. A&M will do that that kind of thing for football, but not basketball.

And why stop at wishing for Billy Donovan?...let's first go make a $100 million fully guaranteed offer to Brad Stevens (Celtics coach) and see if he'll bite. Donovan is second rate compared to Stevens.

Or...why not Pop? Heck, he's turning 70 years old and maybe with this whole Kawhi thing is looking to finish out his golden years on a college campus kissing the butts of AAU handlers and shoe executives on the recruiting trail and convince 18-year olds to stop smoking weed.
awschux
AG
You must have worked in the Hyman AD.
LawHall88
AG
Donovan's last contract at Florida paid him $4 million a year. Anyone who thinks we'll pay that for a basketball coach is ... not living in reality.
awschux
AG
I guarantee you with100% certainty that Texas A&M will pay a basketball coach well over $4MM per year within the next 5 years.

THE ONLY QUESTION IS: Will Texas A&M be AHEAD of the curve or BEHIND the curve??
mikesyracuse1
Pumpkinhead said:

awschux said:

Even if he wanted to coach again in college...a guy like Billy Donovan would come to a Texas A&M...for why?

The football equivalent of Donovan deciding to go to Texas A&M would be like Jimbo Fisher taking the football head coach job at Texas Tech. We are not a major destination in basketball. And Texas A&M is not going to go throw a ridiculous '10 year $70 million' contract to try to insanely money-whip a whale hoops candidate. A&M will do that that kind of thing for football, but not basketball.

And why stop at wishing for Billy Donovan?...let's first go make a $100 million fully guaranteed offer to Brad Stevens (Celtics coach) and see if he'll bite. Donovan is second rate compared to Stevens.

Or...why not Pop? Heck, he's turning 70 years old and maybe with this whole Kawhi thing is looking to finish out his golden years on a college campus kissing the butts of AAU handlers and shoe executives on the recruiting trail and convince 18-year olds to stop smoking weed.

Can you imagine how many people Pop would tick off in his first week on campus!

Mikesyracuse1
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.