JW3

5,970 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DukeMu
johnnymiddleton11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone have insight into John Walker III? Anyone witnessed him playing since he left high school?

His ceiling seems very high. His high school tape is impressive. Very versatile. Can handle the ball well for a guy his size.

Method Man
He weight about 150 when he got on campus.
aggiesrulegigem
My son showed me some videos of him practice (played AAU with him) as spectacular as he was in high school
Method Man
Link?
aggiesrulegigem
I have it on a message I could email it to you
Hop
Staff
AG
On Walker, there seems to be some optimism within the program about his ability to contribute next season. Maybe that's why the staff hasn't been more vigorous about finding another big man. I don't know. Until I see him, I can't comment.
GE
AG
Hop said:

On Walker, there seems to be some optimism within the program about his ability to contribute next season. Maybe that's why the staff hasn't been more vigorous about finding another big man. I don't know. Until I see him, I can't comment.
He moves well for his height and is smooth on offense based on his HL videos and seeing him in shootaround situations. Don't know how he is on defense. Doesn't seem to have the girth to pound down low so hopefully he has the combination of length and quickness to be effective defending the perimeter
Hop
Staff
AG
GE said:

Hop said:

He moves well for his height and is smooth on offense based on his HL videos and seeing him in shootaround situations. Don't know how he is on defense. Doesn't seem to have the girth to pound down low so hopefully he has the combination of length and quickness to be effective defending the perimeter
I would assume Walker is your stretch four while Davis/Nebo/Jasey are your pounders in the paint.

Aggie09Derek
AG
Agree. No way Walker can be a 5 unless going very very small.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Villanova just won the national championship with 6 of the scholarship players (SIX!) having redshirted their freshman season at Nova for various reasons (to gain weight, injury, qualification issues, etc). The difference between how Nova built their team and Kentucky puts together its teams under Cal is pretty much apples and oranges. Thus the article below is titled 'Plus-One more than One-And-Done'

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/with-six-redshirt-players-villanova-basketball-is-more-plus-one-than-one-and-done/2017/12/19/6c1e7cdc-df76-11e7-89e8-edec16379010_story.html?utm_term=.dab8b7e39585

So redshirting isn't necessarily the kiss of death (as I used to think), assuming the kid does have some legit talent, and the above article talks about some of the advantages. But we'll see with Walker.
GrayMatter
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

So redshirting isn't necessarily the kiss of death (as I used to think), assuming the kid does have some legit talent, and the above article talks about some of the advantages. But we'll see with Walker.
Getting players to buy into that line of thinking is hard. I'm not so sure that it would work too well at schools that normally don't make the NCAA tournament on a regular basis. Guys transfer or pick schools where they know they're going to play. Most players aren't patient enough to work on their game for the betterment of their futures.

I've always thought it is incredibly hard to win the tournament with a bunch of "one and done" freshman.

With the NBA thinking of changing the "one and done" rule, I'm wondering if Jay Wright's method will catch on with other programs.

The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
mallen
AG
If JW can add about 20lbs of muscle (currently listed at 200) and develop some decent post up moves then perhaps his offensive game could compare to Chris Silva (South Carolina) who was versatile with a mid range game as well good post presence.
aggiesrulegigem

I don't think Chris has this in his skill set
Jumbo Fister
AG
See from the limited highlight videos I've seen I always assumed him to be a pseudo Brandon Ingram type player

Quick for his size, lanky, good handles and shot. Not necessarily in terms of ceiling or production lol
aggiesrulegigem
Most definitely
Jumbo Fister
AG
In that case, does he really need to add a ton of muscle and work on his post game?
aggiesrulegigem
Maybe just get to 210 but in terms of post moves no not as much
johnnymiddleton11
That was a nasty move! If he has handles like that and shoot the ball decently, there's no reason for him to bulk up too much. Stay long, lanky, and quick. Basketball is much more of a finesse game these days and players with this kind of potential can be very good.

Hope this kid loves the game and commits to working on his craft. The sky is the limit for a player with these kinds of natural gifts!
hoya-ag
AG
Would be nice if he can back up Flagg at the 4 this year.
aggiesrulegigem
Just found out he's up to 208 in weight impressive came in 167
Oak Forest Ag
GE
AG
aggiesrulegigem said:

That's big enough to get out there and not get killed. Probably will fill out to the 220s/230s within a couple years.

I'm excited to see what this kid can do.
aggiesrulegigem
I agree
aggiesrulegigem
https://instagr.am/p/Bkg79nngzVj

Few clips I mentioned about jw just posted
Method Man
This kid could be a steal.
aggiesrulegigem
Yeah has the tools just gotta work
rlb28
AG
aggiesrulegigem said:

kevin durant is listed at 240. i don't see how.
aggiesrulegigem
What are you talking about ? KD came into the league at 220
Serious Lee
https://twitter.com/Sw****Du1/status/1011958261053042688

id be surprised to say the least, but this does give hope that he can be a contributor this year
GrayMatter
AG

The kid doesn't look like he needs a whole lot of weight to be productive. He seems athletic enough that he can play offense and defense better than most.
Hop
Staff
AG
GrayMatter said:

The kid doesn't look like he needs a whole lot of weight to be productive. He seems athletic enough that he can play offense and defense better than most.
He weighs about 40 pounds more now than in that clip.
DukeMu
Could be a solid backup behind Flagg. Ranked 399 composite from last year's class. Decent length - a good motor can help make up for strength. Midrange fadeaways look cool, but they're not a good basketball shot.

Too many question marks and too much turnover to expect much over 0.500. So much new talent to integrate, and we're not talking top 100 RSCI talent. Would be shocked if A&M makes the NCAAT.

Can this team create space? Is that a priority with Kennedy?

DukeMu
So much is uncertain, and looking up and down the SEC coaching lineup, there are no longer any days off, gimmies. No Johnny Jones in sight.

Just going to buckle up for a bumpy ride and hope for the best.

School
Current Coach
Years
Alabama Crimson Tide
Avery Johnson
2015-
Arkansas Razorbacks
Mike Anderson
2011-
Auburn Tigers
Bruce Pearl
2014-
Florida Gators
Mike White
2015-
Georgia Bulldogs
Tom Crean
2018-
Kentucky Wildcats
John Calipari
2009-
LSU Tigers
Will Wade
2017-
Mississippi State Bulldogs
Ben Howland
2015-
Missouri Tigers
Cuonzo Martin
2017-
Ole Miss Rebels
Kermit Davis
2018-
South Carolina Gamecocks
Frank Martin
2012-
Tennessee Volunteers
Rick Barnes
2015-
Texas A&M Aggies
Billy Kennedy
2011-
Vanderbilt Commodores
Bryce Drew
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.