SG Brandon Mahan Info (Committed to A&M Today)

9,480 Views | 123 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Hop
Pumpkinhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Hometown: Birmingham, AL. High school class of 2017.
JUCO: Chipola College
Listed Height: 6'5"
College Eligibility Remaining: 3 years (is early qualifier out of JUCO). Can play immediately.

JUCO Season Stats:

Games Played: 30
Points/Game: 14.1
FG%: 50.9
3PT%: 50.3
FT%: 79.7
REB/G: 5.1
Assists/G: 1.7
Turnovers/G: 1.23

Other Notable Offers Out Of JUCO: Ole Miss, Auburn, Wichita State, Cincinnati, Dayton, Memphis, and SMU.

Specifically his 3-point shooting, Mahan made 88-175 attempts for the season. Averaged roughly 3 three point makes out of 6 attempts per game.

Highlight Video:

https://12thman.com/news/2018/4/18/mens-basketball-aggie-basketball-announces-addition-of-brandon-mahan.aspx

Quote:

COLLEGE STATION, Texas The Texas A&M men's basketball program has announced the signing of Chipola College standout Brandon Mahan who will join the Aggies for the upcoming 2018-19 season.

Quote:

"I'm excited to add Brandon to our program," Texas A&M head coach Billy Kennedy said. "He's an outstanding shooter who can also score off the dribble. He made 88 3-pointers in one of the best junior college leagues in the country. His size and athleticism make him a great fit for the SEC. He's got great upside and comes to Texas A&M with three years of eligibility."

Quote:

A 6-foot-5 guard, Mahan originally hails from Birmingham, Ala., where he attended Central Park Christian School before attending Chipola College in Marianna, Fla., where he played last season. During his lone campaign on the court at Chipola, Mahan helped lead the Indians to a 22-8 record and an appearance in the NJCAA Region 8 State Championship Final.

Quote:

Mahan averaged 14.1 points and 5.1 rebounds per game for Chipola while shooting 50.9 percent from the field and 50.3 percent from beyond 3-point range. Additionally, Mahan shot 79.7 percent from the free throw line while compiling 30 assists, 37 steals and nine blocks.

Quote:

He is among the top performers listed on the Watch List for 2019 JUCO Guards according to JUCOrecruiting.com but is eligible to compete next season.

Quote:

Mahan chose Texas A&M over Auburn and Ole Miss among others and becomes the second highly-regarded junior college player signed by Texas A&M this spring, joining NJCAA All-American Wendell Mitchell of Trinity Valley Community College.
Gap
AG
Title should say "signed" not "committed", correct?
Pumpkinhead
AG
Gap said:

Title should say "signed" not "committed", correct?
Yes, he signed an LOI. My mistake. I don't have Premium right now so can't edit title.
mcag83
sincereag
Nice pick up as a three point threat and we beat out two other SEC programs for him. Gig'em!
GE
AG
Love the three years of eligibility.
MarcAg
AG
Here is a longer video

johnnymiddleton11
If he doesn't lose confidence moving up from JUCO, I believe this is a great pick up for our team!

We need shooters and Mahan has a quick release, a great looking stroke, and good range. He also has the ability to create space off the dribble to free up his shot. Excited for his potential and I believe with Jones' reported issues, that this was the best move for the Aggies!

A few weeks ago it certainly didn't feel like BK and crew had a good recruiting plan moving forward, but with Mitchell and Mahan, things are looking up. Maybe things worked out at the last minute or maybe there was always a plan in place, either way I am happy how things are working out. Here's to hoping Gilder and Davis return and we can make another run!
Hop
Staff
AG
johnnymiddleton11 said:

If he doesn't lose confidence moving up from JUCO, I believe this is a great pick up for our team!

We need shooters and Mahan has a quick release, a great looking stroke, and good range. He also has the ability to create space off the dribble to free up his shot. Excited for his potential and I believe with Jones' reported issues, that this was the best move for the Aggies!

A few weeks ago it certainly didn't feel like BK and crew had a good recruiting plan moving forward, but with Mitchell and Mahan, things are looking up. Maybe things worked out at the last minute or maybe there was always a plan in place, either way I am happy how things are working out. Here's to hoping Gilder and Davis return and we can make another run!
Even if Gilder and Davis return, they are still short numbers. I don't expect them to fill the full 13, and they won't need to with this roster. There are no dead spots on the roster. They are at 10, and I would suspect they might bring in one more prospect to make it 11. That will give the staff four spots in the next class. Two are already filled, and I think Tyreek Smith is a leading candidate for another spot.

JRB78
BattlinB
AG
He will help get over Hogg fast, and 3 years of eligibility. How is his work ethic?
johnnymiddleton11
I would feel privileged to watch those two play another year in Aggieland. Gilder was nowhere near his normal athleticism after that knee injury and Davis is one of the best Aggie hoopers to come through in my time watching the hoops team.

They are both warriors and always give full effort. They would be great role models for the youngsters.

Wish the best for them both, and if the NBA comes calling I hope they go for it, but again would love to see those guys back in the maroon and white!
Method Man
Posting on this thread because pumpkinhead deserves it.
expresswrittenconsent
johnnymiddleton11 said:

They are both warriors and always give full effort. They would be great role models for the youngsters.

other than the couple of times admon has been suspended.
hoya-ag
AG
With Starks, Mitchell, Mahan, Chandler, and Gilder (assuming he returns), we should be able to piece together a pretty good (not great) back court.
johnnymiddleton11
I think with the continued improvement of Starks, the return of Gilder, the addition of Mitchell, and the depth that Chandler adds, we are looking at a better than "pretty good" backcourt. AND if Mahan can ball like his tape suggests he can and learns to play good D1 defense, we have the potential to be very good. And even great in terms of A&M basketball history.
bobinator
AG
johnnymiddleton11 said:

we have the potential to be very good. And even great in terms of A&M basketball history.
Is this like a light and dark side of the force thing? Like the more negative that some people get, the more positive you get?
AG
I don't care if it is at the NJCAA level, 50.3% 3PT and 80% FT should instantly make him one of our best shooters and goodness, is that needed. Excited to watch him play!
PJYoung
AG
It's exciting that BK and staff pulled this class out of the fire.

If Gilder and Davis return next season should be fun.

johnnymiddleton11
When I said very good and potential for great, I was speaking in terms of our back court potential going forward in comparison to past backcourts of Aggie history. Not in terms of how our entire team performs during a given season.

I am rooting for Kennedy, but I am not sure we will ever have a great overall season during his time here. I am also not sure we will ever have a great season during any other coach's time here unless attendance picks up and money put into the hoops program increases.

I am not sure why Aggie basketball isn't more popular with our Aggie sports fan base, but I hope that one day when I watch a game on tv or attend in person, that I see more butts in the seats during games that aren't against Kentucky or even when we aren't ranked in the top 15. It was pretty appalling to me seeing some of the home attendance this season when we were highly ranked. Doesn't matter who you are playing, I wish these kids saw more consistent support, especially when they are having a good season.

We always talk about lack of effort. One of the easiest ways to make kids play harder is to fill the stands and create an exciting basketball atmosphere. Reed arena is not what I call an exciting basketball atmosphere. Turge always complained about attendance and he was absolutely right.

I wish other Aggies loved basketball as much as we do. I wish the Aggie majority just loved it half as much as we love football. Then things might get really exciting.

Given the support for the program, I would say that historically we have actually overperformed in the last 15 years.
johnnymiddleton11
In terms of attendance, we are the 3rd largest university in the US. This season we ranked 60th in average basketball game attendance. There's definitely an issue there. It's even more upsetting given that this was easily a top 10 season all time for Aggie Hoops and was led by some very exciting youngsters.

Preaching to the choir I know, but we always complain about the coach and player effort. My question is:
What about the other factors that are holding Aggie Basketbsll back from what we all on here want it to be?
bobinator
AG
I mean we can get as far into the weeds as we want here, but we were poised to have really good attendance this season until we imploded. There were VERY few tickets left for most of the saturday conference games, but it's because people bought up the six pack things when we were ranked really highly and then we tanked and people decided not to go, and our skid also killed student attendance.

The support is what it is, other schools have found a way around it, we have to also.
bobinator
AG
Anyway, more back to the original point, I think this backcourt could be fine, but I dunno about it being an all-time great A&M backcourt. But maybe. If Starks takes a big step forward I guess it could be, Gilder is one of the better guards we've ever had, so maybe.
expresswrittenconsent
Tell me what other large texas public schools have 12k attendance for scrub home games in the 2nd week of December. As much as you might hope and wish we could get 10k in reed for a game vs Savannah Tech (and I do too) that isnt actually limiting the forward progress of the program.
We spend nearly 4 mil annually on Kennedy and staff. We have top tier facilities. We are top 25 in resources spent on men's hoops.
The fans dont show up because the coach is bad. Skip all the arguments on this board and just look at the raw numbers. Fans vote with their wallets and attendance under BK has been consistently about 30-40% worse than what it was under the 2 previous coaches.
Gap
AG
We tried a coach that wasn't afraid to tell our fan base that they suck.

Quote:

Texas A&M coach Mark Turgeon knows basketball excitement, and he wasn't feeling it in College Station. At least, not to the extent he believed the program deserved. "We didn't know how to cheer at a basketball game; I guess it's called yell down here," Turgeon said.
expresswrittenconsent
Yep and he made the dance every year and 3000 more fans showed up per game than under the guy who fails to make the dance 70+% of the time and has a sub 0.500 conf record.
Weird how people will gladly pay to see a whiny jerk who wins and won't show out for a really really really nice guy who doesnt.
Hop
Staff
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Yep and he made the dance every year and 3000 more fans showed up per game than under the guy who fails to make the dance 70+% of the time and has a sub 0.500 conf record.
Weird how people will gladly pay to see a whiny jerk who wins and won't show out for a really really really nice guy who doesnt.
Showed out for Turgeon? That's a good one. The guy left because his program wasn't supported. Attendance dropped significantly just because they lost to Texas at home in that last season.
expresswrittenconsent
Hop - whats funny is that both of our posts can be true. Does that break your brain?

With your feet in the air and your head on the ground.....
Pumpkinhead
AG
Turgeon was a good coach here, won 24 games a season for four straight years. One certainly got the hint that he wanted to coach at a school more into hoops than A&M is, and he jumped to one of those places when he got the chance...and that rubbed some folks the wrong way...but he was a good coach.
HUDAT361
Wow we have someone who might hit 2/2 at the line for once.. billy k will find a way to screw thay up
GE
AG
HUDAT361 said:

Wow we have someone who might hit 2/2 at the line for once.. billy k will find a way to screw thay up
Both of our recent additions are 80%+ FT shooters. Team % is going up. I've always believed that to have a good team FT% you have to recruit guys who can shoot them and have them be the people that get fouled. Usually more guard oriented teams will shoot a higher %.

If you look at individual cases, I would love to see the analysis of coaches who constantly have good FT shooting teams but who have players who couldn't shoot them as freshmen. That would be an indication that coaching plays a major role in free throws beyond recruiting.
LesterHaze

He looks like he can handle a little in transition. He won't create any half court offensive space dribbling in the SEC. None.

He's a catch and shoot guy. Think Larry Scott or Michael Schmidt.
LesterHaze
Hop said:

expresswrittenconsent said:

Showed out for Turgeon? That's a good one. The guy left because his program wasn't supported. Attendance dropped significantly just because they lost to Texas at home in that last season.

Well hey, that's a pretty good one too, Hop. Attendance dropped for Turgeon because with a ridiculous first season roster of Davis, Jordan, Elonu, Jones in the front court and Sloan, Carter, Kirk, Holmes, Walkup in the backcourt, we were getting blown out at halftime in a lot of games. We lost 64-37 to unranked Oklahoma. We were 5-8 in conference at one point and had to scramble to.500 to make the NCAA tournament.

The Turgeon product was a HUGE performance drop off from the Gillispie era and meanwhile Byrne was increasing ticket prices. Even without the ticket price increase, Turgeon was a shoulder shrug hire from a wow standpoint. The fans were miserably turned off by the obvious downturn in court play as well as the whiney new coach.

There is a reason that Turgeon has a career 60% winning percentage. Factor out all of the easy non conference wins and the dude is clearly sub .500. With all of the excitement and momentum we had at the time, I still can't believe that Byrne hired that random .500 goofball.
TXAggie2011
AG
I think you're confusing seasons but as to the last paragraph, apart from his stint with Jacksonville State***, Turgeon has coached in 3 different schools and he's got a 56% or better conference winning percentage in all of them.

He's almost 200 wins above .500 overall as a coach, and has a winning record in both the NCAA tournament and for whatever is worth, the NIT.

We can talk, again, about where he fits on the scale, but easily below .500 other than easy nonconfence opponents...that's a stretch.

***He was 25-29 overall in 2 seasons with JSU, 15-19 in conference.

They improved from 8-18 and 3-13 to 17-11 and 12-6 in year two.
Aston04
AG
We have tons of open ships. We have coach that values protecting media image of the program. We aren't releasing our one top 100 recruit, with tons of other spots free, unless BK had something to directly gain from it.

It's a completely reasonable assumption that releasing Jones was important to help seal the deal for Mahan.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.