Brandon Mahan is an Aggie

4,342 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DallasAggie87
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good news. The Aggies land the guy they wanted.

Quote:

COLLEGE STATION, Texas The Texas A&M men's basketball program has announced the signing of Chipola College standout Brandon Mahan who will join the Aggies for the upcoming 2018-19 season.

"I'm excited to add Brandon to our program," Texas A&M head coach Billy Kennedy said. "He's an outstanding shooter who can also score off the dribble. He made 88 3-pointers in one of the best junior college leagues in the country. His size and athleticism make him a great fit for the SEC. He's got great upside and comes to Texas A&M with three years of eligibility."

Mahan averaged 14.1 points and 5.1 rebounds per game for Chipola while shooting 50.9 percent from the field and 50.3 percent from beyond 3-point range. Additionally, Mahan shot 79.7 percent from the free throw line while compiling 30 assists, 37 steals and nine blocks.

Mahan chose Texas A&M over Auburn and Ole Miss among others and becomes the second highly-regarded junior college player signed by Texas A&M this spring, joining NJCAA All-American Wendell Mitchell of Trinity Valley Community College

Aggie Basketball Announces Addition of Brandon Mahan
beerad12man
AG
Honestly, this is shaping up to where if Tyler comes back, we might be better in 2019 than this year(after Wilson went down, maybe not the team with Wilson). Robert Williams is a tough blow, but we should have a better backcourt with Mahan and Mitchell now.
The Night Ag Cometh
mhayden
The backcourt was pretty darn good with Wilson and Starks -- it just didn't have the depth to overcome injury.

Assuming Gilder comes back (because I see no real way that he doesn't), this season will hinge on Davis' decision.

If he returns, then this is a legitimate tournament roster with potential to make the second weekend.

If he doesn't, it's a bubble roster with potential to make the tournament.

That speaks to the roster. Adjust accordingly for coaching.
RoseRichAg01
Aston04
AG
Kid's tape is impressive. YES!!!!! Silent assassin.Now just get Davis & Gilder back and look out next year!

Aston04
bobinator
AG
Good news, if Davis doesn't come back, the game plan certainly becomes really easy.

Make it rain on 'em.
jeffdjohnson
beerad12man said:

Honestly, this is shaping up to where if Tyler comes back, we might be better in 2019 than this year(after Wilson went down, maybe not the team with Wilson). Robert Williams is a tough blow, but we should have a better backcourt with Mahan and Mitchell now.

If Davis/Gilder come back AND If Kennedy adjusts the lineups to go small/up-temp, then this team could be very good. Ironically, they could be much better than last season. I don't want to call Williams "addition by subtraction" as I expect him to have a good career in the NBA but the Williams/Davis combo was a weird pairing. Terrible floor spacing and couldn't guard small teams. Williams particularly wasn't put in the best position to maximize his talents. He needs to be a lob threat off pick and rolls, surrounded by shooters. Instead he just helped crowd the paint around Davis.

I just hope Kennedy doesn't try to jam a "traditional" PF next to Davis. I would like to see some 3 guard lineups with a 6'7" guy like Flagg (very athletic) next to Davis. Of course if Davis doesn't come back, we are screwed so it doesn't matter anyways.
mcag83
Aston04
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

beerad12man said:

If Davis/Gilder come back AND If Kennedy adjusts the lineups to go small/up-temp, then this team could be very good. Ironically, they could be much better than last season. I don't want to call Williams "addition by subtraction" as I expect him to have a good career in the NBA but the Williams/Davis combo was a weird pairing. Terrible floor spacing and couldn't guard small teams. Williams particularly wasn't put in the best position to maximize his talents. He needs to be a lob threat off pick and rolls, surrounded by shooters. Instead he just helped crowd the paint around Davis.

I just hope Kennedy doesn't try to jam a "traditional" PF next to Davis. I would like to see some 3 guard lineups with a 6'7" guy like Flagg (very athletic) next to Davis. Of course if Davis doesn't come back, we are screwed so it doesn't matter anyways.
Agree with Jeff. Really weird losing a possible lotto pick and getting better for it for next season. But this may be the case- IF Davis is back

And yes, no Nebo next to Davis. Give him backup 5 minutes. Use Jasey lightly, unless he's gotten a lot better.
big papi
AG
We could have 3 of the 5 guards on the floor at a time with Flagg (3/4) and Nebo (4/5) splitting time at 4. I don't know what Walker has in him after red-shirting -12th Man website roster has him at only 200 lbs at 6'9, so he needs to gain weight

G
starks
mitchell
mahan
gilder
chandler

F
Flagg
Walker
Nebo

C
Davis/Nebo/Jasey
Aston04
AG
I don't think it would be crazy to use Mahan at 4 as well. Not the slasher type. Just wants to bomb from outside. Have Davis/Nebo & guards assist if he gets in a battle protecting the paint.
DukeMu
Aston04 said:

I don't think it would be crazy to use Mahan at 4 as well. Not the slasher type. Just wants to bomb from outside. Have Davis/Nebo & guards assist if he gets in a battle protecting the paint.

A 4 out 1 in team has won 2 out of the last 3 national championships.
DukeMu
bobinator said:

Good news, if Davis doesn't come back, the game plan certainly becomes really easy.

Make it rain on 'em.

51.6 3FG%.

but only 13.6 ppg in JUCO.

Maybe some instant offense off the bench.
skaggsjw
AG
DukeMu said:

Aston04 said:

Oh by the way, our point guard is really good in space. Don't muck it up for him. Don't want to see Davis and Nebo on the court simultaneously unless we are getting killed on the boards or playing a big team.
MarcAg
AG
skaggsjw said:

DukeMu said:

Aston04 said:

Oh by the way, our point guard is really good in space. Don't muck it up for him. Don't want to see Davis and Nebo on the court simultaneously unless we are getting killed on the boards or playing a big team.

I want to see them on the court together a lot.

So you didn't want Rob and Davis on the court together?
Method Man
Silly
skaggsjw
AG
If you can tell me Nebo is as dominant a defender and rebounder as Williams, I'll happily back down. Maybe Davis will be a better shooter knowing it's a missing element in his NBA resume.
MarcAg
AG
skaggsjw said:

If you can tell me Nebo is as dominant a defender and rebounder as Williams, I'll happily back down. Maybe Davis will be a better shooter knowing it's a missing element in his NBA resume.

I'm going to say something that is going to get ripped for sure, but Rob was an overrated defender. He was a good shot blocker but an average on ball defender. Yes I know he was defensive player of year in conference.
BBDP
AG
Rob's shot blocking changed the game while he was in there.
Hop
Staff
AG
MarcAg said:

skaggsjw said:

I'm going to say something that is going to get ripped for sure, but Rob was an overrated defender. He was a good shot blocker but an average on ball defender. Yes I know he was defensive player of year in conference.
Rob was not an overrated defender. He "protected" other defenders and changed 70% of shots in the paint.
Aston04
AG
Rob was "overrated" in the sense that his fundamentals on defense were often very poor at times. Still a huge difference maker though, obviously.
MarcAg
AG
I'll stick by my statement that he wasn't a great on the ball defender. Great help defender.
DukeMu
A&M opponents only shot 45.6% on 2 pt FGs, and many of the shots made were mid-range shots.

Ags inside D primarily failed when our perimeter D tanked - ex. Michigan.
DukeMu
skaggsjw said:

IF Nebo can hit the midrange, they can play hi-lo...or switch that with Davis at high post (because he can hit the midrange) IF Nebo can finish.
skaggsjw
AG
Agree...but it probably needs to be Nebo taking most of the 15 footers given that Davis very likely has superior post moves.

There's a guy in the NBA right now who Williams could be every bit as good as, if not better...plays for the Rockets. Clint Capela.

Clint worked his tail off the last three years, though. If Williams works as hard as him, he'll be better.
mallen
AG
MarcAg said:

I'll stick by my statement that he wasn't a great on the ball defender. Great help defender.
Rob was a great on ball defender more often than not but was definitely inconsistent and took plays off.
txag72
AG
If Nebo (or anyone) can hit the mid-range jumper, he'll be the first since I can't remember. THAT would be a difference maker along with a 40% 3 point shooter.
Aston04
AG
Really excited about all the shooters we are adding to the roster. Appears Mitchell, Mahan and Walker can all shoot.

Really will help too in end of game situations. Hopefully no more passing the ball to Davis when the other team is going to foul.
sincereag
Agreed. Really like all the guards we have on next year's roster. Adding Mitchell and Mahan with Starks should solidify our backcourt for the next two years.
DallasAggie87
AG
Hop said:

MarcAg said:

skaggsjw said:

Rob was not an overrated defender. He "protected" other defenders and changed 70% of shots in the paint.
Not to mention a very good defender in regards to passing lanes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.