Assistant turnover?

6,227 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Double Diamond
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone going to answer for our recruiting drop off?
GE
AG
Unless 2018 starts to shape up and we land a 2019 post or two soon, a change would seem necessary.
bobinator
AG
I agree we need an assistant dedicated to limiting our turnovers.
Method Man
Double Diamond
How many assistant robots does Kennedy get?
GE
AG
Double Diamond said:

I don't think robots is capped. Assistant coaches eligible to recruit and actually coach practice I believe is limited to three.
Hop
Staff
AG
I assume he meant to say "reboots".
DukeMu
GE said:

Double Diamond said:

I don't think robots is capped. Assistant coaches eligible to recruit and actually coach practice I believe is limited to three.
I'm pretty sure Nick Saban has 8 special assistant robots.
TMartin
Ultimately......Scott Woodward.
GE
AG
Method Man said:

I don't know that the drop off is as much of a drop off as you think.
2015 - great class.
2016 - drop off, just Williams but should have had Caldwell too
2017 - great class, especially considering Wilson
2018 - solid class, especially considering Nebo
2019 - Good start to the class

All that being said - NEED THE NEXT TYLER DAVIS
Belton Ag
AG
Double Diamond said:

That reminds me, I need to rescubscribe to HBO with Westworld starting this weekend.
Method Man
A second season may be good but that was a good ending for the series.
Aston04
AG
GE said:

Method Man said:

2015 - great class.

pretty optimistic view of 2019 class. So far it's started pretty slow to me. Are either commits in the top 100?
GE
AG
Aston04 said:

GE said:

Method Man said:

2015 - great class.

pretty optimistic view of 2019 class. So far it's started pretty slow to me. Are either commits in the top 100?
Harris I believe will be another TJ Starks based on his tape. Furthermore, the good start comment was in reference to people offered as well as our two commits
Pumpkinhead
AG
GE said:

Aston04 said:

GE said:

Method Man said:

2015 - great class.

Harris I believe will be another TJ Starks based on his tape. Furthermore, the good start comment was in reference to people offered as well as our two commits
Thanks goodness Stansbury left when he did and we got Malagi instead. Otherwise, instead of TJ Starks whom Malagi pulled in for 2017, we'd have had that fruit loop Mitchell Robinson in our 2017 class who'd at first looked great on paper but then turned all last summer into a circus and never played a minute for us.

Right Method?

Aston04
AG
GE said:

Aston04 said:

GE said:

Method Man said:

2015 - great class.

the pg commit seems similar to the pgs who have failed here- undersized and not a great shooter. Hopefully he can create, despite his size.

Simply sending offers is no reason for buzz. I haven't heard we are close to closing some top 100 guys (of course that's typical for BK on guys he has gotten). We will see... If we get 1 true stud in the next 4-5 months I will flip to optimistic on the 2019 class. Here's hoping!
Double Diamond
*reboots* dumb autocorrect.
Double Diamond
Has anyone seen what the top of the SEC is doing? So Kennedy keeps up with fringe top 100 types and lower level transfers? Call me doubtful this works. I'm not saying the team needs one and dones, but it's pretty much proven with this coach that much higher talent is all that works.
GE
AG
Double Diamond said:

Has anyone seen what the top of the SEC is doing? So Kennedy keeps up with fringe top 100 types and lower level transfers? Call me doubtful this works. I'm not saying the team needs one and dones, but it's pretty much proven with this coach that much higher talent is all that works.
If you can do it on a consistent basis you can be extremely successful with top 75-100 range players as upperclassmen. It's not a viable solution to expect them to make it happen as freshmen and sohpomores, but as seniors and juniors it is.

A year or two ago I did an analysis of productivity in multiple domains across the SEC. 3-star seniors were generally more productive than 4-star sophomores in terms of production.
Double Diamond
I'd be shocked if the fringe top 100s weren't coached by a good to elite coach. Jay Write makes it work, but is elite. Still mixes in five stars though.
Hop
Staff
AG
Double Diamond said:

Who are the SEC coaches that do more with less?
_lefraud_
AG
GE said:

Double Diamond said:

If you can do it on a consistent basis you can be extremely successful with top 75-100 range players as upperclassmen. It's not a viable solution to expect them to make it happen as freshmen and sohpomores, but as seniors and juniors it is.

A year or two ago I did an analysis of productivity in multiple domains across the SEC. 3-star seniors were generally more productive than 4-star sophomores in terms of production.

But who in the Kennedy Era fits this mold? I guess Caruso? The problem is that it isn't enough. The problem is that Kennedy needs great or even elite talent to be successful, but even then, it's always not enough (2015).
_lefraud_
AG
Hop said:

Double Diamond said:

That's kind of tough to answer generally speaking, because no coach does more with less consistently, but coaches who have done more with less for a given season include:

Pearl, Barnes, Wade, Drew, Kennedy (before fired), Fox (before fired), Frank and Conzuo, Anderson

When has Kennedy EVER done more with less?
GE
AG
_lefraud_ said:

GE said:

Double Diamond said:

But who in the Kennedy Era fits this mold? I guess Caruso? The problem is that it isn't enough. The problem is that Kennedy needs great or even elite talent to be successful, but even then, it's always not enough (2015).
Caruso, Gilder, Davis, Hogg, Trocha. House and Jones and Wilson fir that mold to a certain extent in that they were talented players who had experience to go along with the talent.
Double Diamond
Davis and Gilder are top 50 players AC was a top 100. I think there is more than enough Data to suggest Kennedy has to have a maximum amount of talent to be successful. Certainly not suggested one and dones. That's totally not called for or realistic. Maybe Kennedy can find NBA talent out of fringe 100s and three stars.
_lefraud_
AG
Yea, none of those fit you 75-100 mold.

Davis/Hogg were both top 30 players
House was a top 25 player (transfer)
Jones was not a top 100 player (transfer)
Trocha was not a top 100 player
Wilson was a top 60 player (transfer)

Caruso and Gilder are your examples, although both were good enough (do to lack of talent) to player much earlier than their Jr years.
Hop
Staff
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Hop said:

Double Diamond said:

That's kind of tough to answer generally speaking, because no coach does more with less consistently, but coaches who have done more with less for a given season include:

Pearl, Barnes, Wade, Drew, Kennedy (before fired), Fox (before fired), Frank and Conzuo, Anderson

When has Kennedy EVER done more with less?

I didn't say Kennedy did more with less. I challenged your implication that other SEC coaches do more with less. And I am amazed at your list. A coach that just got fired with the SEC player of the Year with a .551 overall record and ZERO NCAA Tourney wins in nine years is on your list of overachievers? Another fired SEC coach on your list that had ONE NCAA Tourney win and one play-in game win in 12 years. He had two all-SEC players in recent years (Moody, Henderson).

Pearl? The man that has been bringing in 5-stars left and right to Auburn and hasn't won an NCAA Tourney game? Wade? He had a losing SEC record in his first season in the SEC. He's grabbing 4 and 5-stars this offseason so that argument can never be made. Drew and his 12-20 record and overall losing record despite inheriting talent in his first season? I mean, this is so ridiculous it's not even in the realm of legitimate argument.
Double Diamond
No I personally think the SEC is really a weak league on anyone coach doing more with less. It's actully a league full of coaches pretty average. Pearl hasn't generated the turnaround he was brought in to do. Martin did a lot to get that team to a final 4. But has been pretty average.

Will Wade is now the new recruiting guy. Looks like that's his thing. I've heard most basketball people like him as a coach. Though do VCU guys do anything?

Rick Barnes is a good coach and flipped Tennessee around quickly without a lot of high end talent.
Double Diamond
Micheal White isn't recruiting up to Florida levels. See how that works out.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
I know it shouldn't, but sometimes it surprises me at the lengths y'all will go to try and **** on Kennedy only to have it blow up in your faces. It's mind boggling.
Wearamaskaggie
AG

"When you haven't told someone why you think Kennedy is a horrible coach in 5 minutes."
Double Diamond
Discussing the fact the coach at Texas A&M can't functhin without large amounts of talent, isn't hatting on Kennedy, it's a proven fact after closely watching him work.
Method Man
Stop misspelling stuff just to make people mad.
Method Man
He's had one season in seven that he achieved to the level of his talent. That's not what this thread is about. The recruiting has fallen off with a staff of recruiters.
GE
AG
Method Man said:

He's had one season in seven that he achieved to the level of his talent. That's not what this thread is about. The recruiting has fallen off with a staff of recruiters.
It has and it hasn't. Wilson, Starks, Chandler and Flagg were all great additions for '17. Mahan, Mitchell and Nebo all look promising for '18.

Couple projects in Jasey and Walker seem to have the tools to develop into good players as they progress.

Decent start to '19 with Harris and Wheeler
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.