Middleton the GOAT aggie bballer

22,850 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by wacarnolds
wacarnolds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't at me
GCP12
AG
The ending of this game has been nuts
The Night Ag Cometh
AG
eb93
AG
From north of charlestown!
All or none. FIDO.
MarcAg
AG
One of the most underrated nba players currently.
Method Man
Jimi_Rod
AG
Baller.
DukeMu
31 pts in the playoffs. What a stud.

The Bucks are a more talented team because of Celtic injuries. Only Brad Stevens coaching is saving them. Stevens is up with Pop and Coach K as the best head coaches in the business.
Maroon U
Middleton, most times, will be overshadowed by Antetokounmpo, but KM is such an important part of the Bucks and their success.
claym711
AG
It's still shocking that Kennedy won 14 games with Middleton, Loubeau, Roberson, Elston, Ray, Dash, Branch, Hibbert, and Green. Even moreso that we kept him after that.
Isaih Smollett
They were picked to win the Big12
expresswrittenconsent
machine20 said:

They were picked to win the Big12

Lost at home to rice.
bobinator
AG
claym711 said:

It's still shocking that Kennedy won 14 games with Middleton, Loubeau, Roberson, Elston, Ray, Dash, Branch, Hibbert, and Green. Even moreso that we kept him after that.
Except he only had Middleton for 17 games and Roberson for 9 and even in those 9 he only played 12 minutes per game. Middleton wasn't himself that season (shot just 26% from 3, for example.) Branch transferred midseason so he only played 11 games, Jordan Green was a freshman and basically a non-factor. So you're really left with Loubeau, Elston, Ray, Dash and Hibbert that were real contributors for a full season and that's not a very good team.

I'm not going to do this whole song and dance again, but I just don't get the point of piling on Kennedy's first season with everything that happened, when it's so completely unnecessary.

It makes whatever other point you might be trying to make lose value because I don't think any coach, going through what Kennedy had to go through personally and with the injuries, would have had a good season.
bobinator
AG
Thinking we should have fired Kennedy after his first season is just a bad take. There are plenty of times we could have fired him that would have made sense or should have at least did something different than we did, but that's my point. Your "we should have fired him after the first season" take is so ridiculous that it makes anything else you say have less value.
bobinator
AG
Also, to the thread's point, I still think DeAndre is more accomplished at this point but Middleton is coming quick.
claym711
AG
It was obvious then that he was not the guy.
coldmoose
bobinator said:

Also, to the thread's point, I still think DeAndre is more accomplished at this point but Middleton is coming quick.

Agree on both points.
Sandman23
AG
claym711 said:

It is definitely obvious now.
It was obvious after about year 3 or 4 (depending on who you ask).
It was not obvious after year 1 and saying so is just being willfully obtuse.
------- Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2007
TXAggie2011
AG
Yeah, it is kind of irrelevant now as in it won't be the reason or a reason why Kennedy gets fired; but I definitely hate that we paint the first season with such a broad brush concerning the injuries. There were definitely games where guys like Middleton played very well but the team's overall performance stunk up the gym and we lost.

I think we've seen plenty of evidence since the first season to know Kennedy will struggle to get consistently great play from his teams, especially when faced with some adversity, and I think that happened in that first season.

But like Bobinator said, that means there is plenty aside from the first season to lead one to think we ought to have fired Kennedy by now.
expresswrittenconsent
Sandman23 said:

claym711 said:

BS.
looking back his resume before a&m is garbage and there were absolutely smart people here on forum 7 who complained that he was a big big step down from the level of mid major guys we had previously pulled (bcg/turge). However, most of us (myself included) didnt care about those flimsy resume because Byrne had hit on the two previous hires and mainly because he was bringing along a stud proven bagman recruiter in cyprien (keep in mind our fans were tired of getting out recruited by texas and baylor, so cyp was arguably more exciting than kennedy). But yes, after each of Kennedy's horrid first 3 seasons it was obvious he needed to be fired. Each of those first 3 seasons had 9th or worse conf finishes, had 150 or worse rpi (coming off 7 straight top 40 seasons),had no trip to the ncaa/nit and featured a home loss by 20 to UNT or Rice or Amarillo Tascosa.
expresswrittenconsent
TXAggie2011 said:

Yeah, it is kind of irrelevant now as in it won't be the reason or a reason why Kennedy gets fired; but I definitely hate that we paint the first season with such a broad brush concerning the injuries. There were definitely games where guys like Middleton played very well but the team's overall performance stunk up the gym and we lost.

I think we've seen plenty of evidence since the first season to know Kennedy will struggle to get consistently great play from his teams, especially when faced with some adversity, and I think that happened in that first season.

But like Bobinator said, that means there is plenty aside from the first season to lead one to think we ought to have fired Kennedy by now.

The revisionist history about year 1 is idiotic. The team was ranked in the top 25 for the first 5 or 6 weeks of the season. They started 8-1. Then we pulled a BK special at home vs Rice and went 4-14 in a conference we were predicted to contend for.
wacarnolds
AG
can yall slapdicks take this riveting conversation to one of the 800 other 'complain about kennedy' threads
claym711
AG
No.

Not possible to think about Middleton while Kennedy is still the coach.

Sorry you few couldn't see after year 1 his firing was inevitable. It was then and is now. Everything in between is a waste of time and resources. nobody gives a damn if you win 4 March games in 7 years. Evidence: recruiting.
wacarnolds
AG
claym711 said:

No.

Not possible to think about Middleton while Kennedy is still the coach.

Sorry you few couldn't see after year 2 his firing was inevitable. It was then and is now. Everything in between is a waste of time and resources. nobody gives a damn if you win 4 March games in 7 years. Evidence: recruiting.
it looks like someone is mad we won a conference title in 2016 and went to 2 sweet 16s
claym711
AG
Sorry your boy's tenure has been a total waste of time.
wacarnolds
AG
yup me and kennedy are tight
wacarnolds
AG
25 more pts for the goat
bobinator
AG
Whoever does branding for goats has done a tremendous job over the last 15 years. Used to definitely be something bad to be.
BBDP
AG
Bob
How young are you?
That started before 1996.
Movie came out called "The Legend of Earl 'The Goat' Manigault". Great movie!
Has been used since then a lot and before that in basketball arguments.
bobinator
AG
I'm sure it goes back a long time, but it's definitely become much more popular in recent years.
Sandman23
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Sandman23 said:

claym711 said:

BS.
looking back his resume before a&m is garbage and there were absolutely smart people here on forum 7 who complained that he was a big big step down from the level of mid major guys we had previously pulled (bcg/turge). However, most of us (myself included) didnt care about those flimsy resume because Byrne had hit on the two previous hires and mainly because he was bringing along a stud proven bagman recruiter in cyprien (keep in mind our fans were tired of getting out recruited by texas and baylor, so cyp was arguably more exciting than kennedy). But yes, after each of Kennedy's horrid first 3 seasons it was obvious he needed to be fired. Each of those first 3 seasons had 9th or worse conf finishes, had 150 or worse rpi (coming off 7 straight top 40 seasons),had no trip to the ncaa/nit and featured a home loss by 20 to UNT or Rice or Amarillo Tascosa.

....so you're saying that after his first 3 season it was obvious. Which is literally the thing I said. Nobody here is arguing that Season 1 was good, or that it was something other than bad, the point is just that it wasn't "obvious" at that point to anyone.
------- Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2007
expresswrittenconsent
No, I am saying that it was obvious after year 1, and it was obvious after season 2 and it was obvious after season 3. The performances were equally bad across all 3 seasons. Nothing became apparent at the end of year 3 that wasn't there from the beginning.
bobinator
AG
Kennedy must sit next to you at church. It was obvious from the year before he was hired he wasn't going to get it done. Excusing a first round loss to Florida State with that talent is the ultimate accepting mediocrity.
_lefraud_
AG
There was nothing wrong with the Kennedy hire, especially given the timing of it all. However, after the diagnosis, Branch bolting, and losing to Rice (and struggling to get to 60 in EVERY game), there was an opportunity for Byrne to step in and name Cyprien as interim coach (while working on a package for Kennedy), and then evaluate the situation in the Spring. However, Byrne had one foot out the door, and wasn't going to do anything regarding Kennedy, no matter how awful that season was.

It's really sad that someone like Byrne, who was well compensated during (and after) his employment, didn't do his job as Athletic Director. How do we get into a profession like this? A profession with apparently ZERO accountability.
expresswrittenconsent
_lefraud_ said:

There was nothing wrong with the Kennedy hire, especially given the timing of it all. However, after the diagnosis, Branch bolting, and losing to Rice (and struggling to get to 60 in EVERY game), there was an opportunity for Byrne to step in and name Cyprien as interim coach (while working on a package for Kennedy), and then evaluate the situation in the Spring. However, Byrne had one foot out the door, and wasn't going to do anything regarding Kennedy, no matter how awful that season was.

It's really sad that someone like Byrne, who was well compensated during (and after) his employment, didn't do his job as Athletic Director. How do we get into a profession like this? A profession with apparently ZERO accountability.

I think if we are going true hindsight then what Byrne should have done when Turge left in May was to promote Spinelli to interim coach for that season.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.