2018-2019 schedule/opponents

3,947 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wacarnolds
wacarnolds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who we playing? Obviously the SEC teams and the Vancouver tournament (with Washington, Minnesota, Santa Clara)

Are there any other non-conf games scheduled?

**Updated 6/3/18**

2018-2019

Nov. 15 at Gonzaga
Nov. 18 Minnesota (Vancouver)
Nov. 19-20 Washington/Santa Clara (Vancouver)
Dec. 8 Boston College (Reed)
TBD at Oregon State (Moda Center in Portland)
Jan. 26 Kansas State (Reed)

2019-2020

TBD Gonzaga (Reed)
TBD Oregon State (Reed)
TBD Boston College (away)
TBD B12 Opponent
Method Man
Schedule release date
bobinator
AG
If Texas isn't coming to Reed for the Big 12/SEC I'm going to fight someone.
mikesyracuse1
bobinator said:

That's the next logical choice, which means we probably won't play in the challenge.

Mikesyracuse1
GE
AG
bobinator said:

Would prefer someone relevant like Tech or TCU
bingram1230
AG
I would just prefer a home game at this point in the challenge.
GE
AG
bingram1230 said:

I would just prefer a home game at this point in the challenge.
No kidding.
mhayden
You guys aren't interested in forfeiting a home game in the series for the honor of playing somewhere like Kansas!?
miller0926
AG
Here's the Big 12 Home/Away splits for the Challenge the last 4 seasons (14-15,15-16,16-17,17-18)

Baylor: A, H, A, A
Iowa St.: H, A (A&M), A, H
Kansas: H, H, A, H (A&M)
Kansas St.: A, H, A, H
Oklahoma: H, A, H, A
Oklahoma St.: A, A, H, A
TCU: A, H, H, A
Texas: A, H, A, H
Texas Tech: H, A, H, A
West Virginia: H, A, H (A&M), H

A&M: DNP, H, A, A

So it looks like Kansas and West Virginia should be 2 of the 5 Big 12 teams having to go on the road this year. On the other hand, Baylor and Oklahoma St. should both be due for home games. If you further take out Iowa St. to avoid a rematch, I think we're left with 5 possibilities: Kansas St., Oklahoma, TCU, Texas, Tech
wacarnolds
AG
Props for the analysis
WoodAg
Nicely done.
Would take any of those 5 at home.
bobinator
AG
I'd add that I'd think it's more likely we'd get Texas, Kansas State or Oklahoma since they were at home last year. Obviously we've seen that some teams do end up with multiple away games or home games, but you'd think it would be more likely than Tech or TCU going on the road again.
clendenin
AG
Already announced Texas A&M, Washington, Santa Clara, and Minnesota. 4 more teams could be added.

November 18-20, 2018 Vancouver, B.C., Canada

Vancouver Showcase Tournament
bobinator
AG
yeah, the OP mentioned that...
clendenin
AG
bobinator said:

yeah, the OP mentioned that...
Mentioned again because they say more teams could be added.
gordo97
AG
Texas would be nice in the big12 challenge
wacarnolds
AG
Based on this week's announcements, here is where things stand for OOC games the next 2 years

2018-2019

Nov. 15 at Gonzaga
Nov. 18 Minnesota (Vancouver)
Nov. 19-20 Washington/Santa Clara (Vancouver)
TBD at Oregon State (Moda Center in Portland)
TBD B12 Opponent (presumably a home game)

2019-2020

TBD Gonzaga (Reed)
TBD Oregon State (Reed)
TBD B12 Opponent

Still think we need another solid OOC game to round out a potential tournament resume, and obviously they should be working on improving the fall home schedule, so get a good team to Reed and kill 2 birds with 1 stone
LawHall88
AG
The Gonzaga game for 2018-19 is scheduled for November 15.
wacarnolds
AG
LawHall88 said:

The Gonzaga game for 2018-19 is scheduled for November 15.
Updated.

Playing in Spokane Thursday Nov. 15 and then Vancouver on Sunday gives some credence to the idea that it would be one big west coast swing
GrayMatter
AG
bobinator said:

Hop?
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
Mustang1
AG
Just announced Boston College
12/8/18 Reed
2019 BC
Chuck Gay
AG
I'm surprised to see another major conference opponent added. Kudos to our guys for adding BC.
wacarnolds
AG
Mustang1 said:

Just announced Boston College
12/8/18 Reed
2019 BC
wacarnolds
AG
According to Andy Katz' initial power ranking, our schedule next year includes:

#1 Gonzaga
#7 Kentucky
#9 Kansas State
#11 Auburn
#24 Mississippi State
#26 Minnesota
#28 LSU
#29 Washington (potential tourney matchup)
#32 Florida
Serious Lee
had no idea zags were supposed to be THAT good. LSU and Miss state will both be top 15 teams IMO.
dallasiteinsa02
They have Kansas St. up on the 12th man website as coming to Reed.
wacarnolds
AG
Uncle Gunnysack said:

had no idea zags were supposed to be THAT good. LSU and Miss state will both be top 15 teams IMO.
a couple different rankings have given them the top spot. From Kentucky Sports Radio

Quote:

1) Gonzaga Bulldogs
Key Returnees: Killian Tillie, Rui Hachimura, Zach Norvell, Josh Perkins, Corey Kispert
Key Departures: Jonathan Williams III
Key Additions: Brandon Clarke (transfer), Joel Ayayi, Filip Petruev

I haven't seen another national poll with Gonzaga at No. 1 (most do have them in the top five however), but the Zags are here for a few reasons. For starters, they return four starters off a 32-win team that made the second weekend of the tournament for the fourth straight year. And had it not been for an injury to Killian Tillie, they probably would have blown past Florida State to the Elite Eight and maybe beyond. They're also the only school as best I can tell who had two legitimate first round draft picks (Tillie and Rui Hachimura) choose to skip the draft and return to school. They also return a wing in Zach Norvell who averaged 13 points per game last year, and their only significant loss (Jonathan Williams III) might be addition by subtraction. He'll be replaced by San Jose State transfer Brandon Clarke, who is a more versatile player who will likely make them even more dynamic offensively.

Some do still have concerns about the Zags point guard play, but they have the size, athleticism, talent and experience to hang with and beat anyone in college basketball. Two years after playing for a national championship, they are my favorite to win it all in 2018-2019.
local newspaper recapping some of their rankings

Quote:

The Zags have climbed as high as No. 2 in NBCSports.com's and FanRag Sports' latest rankings. Gonzaga is ranked No. 3 by Yahoo! Sports, No. 4 by ESPN and No. 5 by CBSsports.com.

Those five outlets have Kansas at No. 1. ESPN, CBSsports.com and Yahoo! put Duke at No. 2.
Gonzaga was projected as high as No. 5 when the first preseason polls were releasedshortly after Villanova defeated Michigan for the national championship in early April.

Draft decisions prompted major changes in several polls. Villanova slipped from No. 2 to No. 10 in ESPN's poll after Donte DiVincenzo and Omari Spellman opted to remain in the draft. Nevada jumped up three spots to No. 6 with the return of the Martin brothers, Cody and Caleb.

Gonzaga and Kentucky have the fourth-best odds, at 10-1, of winning the national championship, according to www.Bovada.lv. The Zags were 20-1 on April 3. In the ensuing eight days, forwards Killian Tillie and Rui Hachimura announced they were returning to Gonzaga.

Bovada lists Duke at 11-2, Kansas 8-1 and Villanova 9-1.

I wonder how much is the pollsters thinking Gonzaga is a true #1 and how much is there being no clearly established powerhouse that can be slotted there. Wherever they end up being ranked by the polls to start the season, it's a solid bet that they'll eventually be a very high seed in the tournament and they'll certainly be a great early season test for our new team
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.