Memphis fans think Penny Hardaway is their savior

9,380 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by LawHall88
Heisenberg01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Heisenberg01 said:

Obviously Clyde's the best of them all, but guys like Rashard Lewis, Jimmy Butler, DeAndre Jordan, Stephen Jackson, Emeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Dwight Jones, Chris Birdman Andersen, BJ Ford, and Booby Gibson are no slouches. A lot more talent than Memphis has pumped out.

I'll hang up and listen...

Young Houstonians in the league... Kelly Oubre, Justise Winslow, Andrew Harrison...

Stephen Jackson, Chris Andersen, and DJ Augustin? How on Earth are you claiming those guys?!

Memphis has Penny, Lorenzen Wright, Branden Wright, Thaddeus Young, Bingo Smith, and several other young guys in the league.

I'm not saying it's "better" than what Houston has produced, but Memphis has a very rich history in basketball, produces lots of good/great players, and is more than just Penny Hardaway.

Augustin played at Fort Bend Hightower! Is that not Houston?

If you're going to go with the "young guy" approach, how do they compare with De'Aaron Fox and Justin Jackson as prospects?

You named Thaddeus Young, a couple of journeymen, and a guy born in the 40's as an example that Memphis is more than Penny Hardaway.

Take out Jackson, Anderson, and Augustin if you want. My list still crushes yours. Memphis basketball is Penny Hardaway. Deal with it.
_lefraud_
AG
Heisenberg01 said:

_lefraud_ said:

Heisenberg01 said:

Obviously Clyde's the best of them all, but guys like Rashard Lewis, Jimmy Butler, DeAndre Jordan, Stephen Jackson, Emeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Dwight Jones, Chris Birdman Andersen, BJ Ford, and Booby Gibson are no slouches. A lot more talent than Memphis has pumped out.

I'll hang up and listen...

Young Houstonians in the league... Kelly Oubre, Justise Winslow, Andrew Harrison...

Stephen Jackson, Chris Andersen, and DJ Augustin? How on Earth are you claiming those guys?!

Memphis has Penny, Lorenzen Wright, Branden Wright, Thaddeus Young, Bingo Smith, and several other young guys in the league.

I'm not saying it's "better" than what Houston has produced, but Memphis has a very rich history in basketball, produces lots of good/great players, and is more than just Penny Hardaway.

Augustin played at Fort Bend Hightower! Is that not Houston?

If you're going to go with the "young guy" approach, how do they compare with De'Aaron Fox and Justin Jackson as prospects?

You named Thaddeus Young, a couple of journeymen, and a guy born in the 40's as an example that Memphis is more than Penny Hardaway.

Take out Jackson, Anderson, and Augustin if you want. My list still crushes yours. Memphis basketball is Penny Hardaway. Deal with it.

Augustin is from NOLA, was forced to Houston (for about 6 months) because of Katrina. Jackson is from Port Arthur and I have no idea how you're trying to claim Birdman. And since you missed it the first time, I'm not saying Memphis is "better".
Heisenberg01
AG
Yes, it's not better. It's worse! So what is your point?
_lefraud_
AG
You claim Houston had cranked out a lot of high end NBA talent, yet you only could list 4 guys, and a bunch of journeymen.
Heisenberg01
AG
So I named 4 compared to your 0 for Memphis. What is your deal. My point was that Houston basketball was more than Drexler. Which I proved with at least 4, and then you can debate the rest. Memphis has 0 high level basketball players in the modern era besides Penny Hardaway. I'm no Houston sports homer by any means, but you are beyond obtuse. You have some kind of agenda or bias against Houston that you really need to let go of.

Houston had 5 players drafted in 1 year recently. It is pretty legit basketball and bigger than 1 guy. Memphis cannot compare to that kind of talent pool. Memphis basketball is not bigger than 1 guy. It is 1 guy, Penny Hardaway!
Iowaggie
AG

expresswrittenconsent
Does Brown have a show cause from SMU? Why would the AD be ok with him as a consultant but not full asst?
Double Diamond
Larry Browns problems are recruiting. A consultant can't recruit. I'd make him an assistant who can't recruit. Penny should be a very hands on recruiting head coach. Let Larry stay back and work with players.
Faustus
Pleasantly surprised that the Penny thread turned into that Memphis v. Houston vicious fight.
CactusThomas
AG
Heard MJG was a finalist for the position.
PoppaB05
AG
Yes, but completely upset that the Gerald Green, the most Tine player ever, was left off the Houston list. Just a complete travesty.
Iowaggie
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Does Brown have a show cause from SMU? Why would the AD be ok with him as a consultant but not full asst?
He had a 2 year show cause. That has expired.
Iowaggie
AG
Double Diamond said:

Larry Browns problems are recruiting. A consultant can't recruit. I'd make him an assistant who can't recruit. Penny should be a very hands on recruiting head coach. Let Larry stay back and work with players.
That's the problem with being a consultant; you can't work with student-athletes as a consultant.
mikesyracuse1
Penny's recent comments about one and done players coming to Memphis. I guess we'll find out soon.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Bolt/Penny-Hardaway-says-Memphis-basketball-is-elite-destination-for-one-and-dones-117648511

"There's no one better to coach one-and-dones than me and Mike Miller," Hardaway said Monday on the College Hoops Today Podcast, noting that both he and Miller both have NBA experience. "If you're trying to get to the NBA, there's no one better to get you there than me and Mike. That isn't a slight to any coach, but we've been there. We know what it takes."

Mikesyracuse1
Iowaggie
AG
I think admin at Memphis are a little worried about their coach doing a Hennessy promotion, especially if a psuedo ad has the logo in the background. And by worried, I mean I bet they want some free Hennessy.

https://instagr.am/p/Bnt92aOh-l4
wacarnolds
AG
Once met girl from Tennessee. Her boobies were filled with Hennessy.
Iowaggie
AG
Larry Brown has been added to Penny's staff.

Should help keep the NCAA away.
Iowaggie
AG
Faustus
Word is he's already been rung up for a tech.
Iowaggie
AG
Rasheed Wallace is no longer with team with no explanation given.

The local media wanted Penny and now the local media is crushing Penny.

mikesyracuse1
Iowaggie said:

Rasheed Wallace is no longer with team with no explanation given.

Rasheed Wallace is working from home remotely. No explanation means they have fallen out with each other.

Penny started making excuses like this after their last loss, but he's off the rails now. Definitely a bad look.

Mikesyracuse1
GrayMatter
AG
Fast sinking ship.

He's gotta realize he ain't Iverson and this isn't the 90's.
frenchtoast
It's a pretty awkward spot for Memphis, given that Penny is a hometown hero. I think he'll get another year, but it wouldn't shock me if he's gone after this season. With the exception of a couple of games, they've been unwatchable.
wacarnolds
AG
Would have been cool to see Penny work out. Sucks that it appears to be heading down a path that ends in failure.
Double Diamond
Wallace won't get his vaccine.
mikesyracuse1
Double Diamond said:

Wallace won't get his vaccine.

And there's more to it than that.

Mikesyracuse1
Iowaggie
AG
Good news: Memphis basketball/Penny has joined the elites like SEC football, the Cowboys, Lakers, and random teams from all over to be skewered by Mr. Go 30. A guy I think is really funny but nary gathers a smirk on the football page.

https://instagr.am/p/CZDCt6ZIX05
LawHall88
AG
More good news, as Memphis beats Tulsa 83-81 as Tulsa has the worst end of game possession you might ever see (who could see it coming, with Frank Haith coaching):
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.