Memphis fans think Penny Hardaway is their savior

9,381 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by LawHall88
MarcAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Memphis fans going crazy over hiring Penny Hardaway makes me think back to UH fans losing their crap when they hired Clyde Drexler to coach. Hopefully works out better for Memphis.

I see people talking about how impressive it will be when he walks into a kid's living room. Their fans didn't like that I tweeted out the kid will be like "my dad was a fan but I don't know who you are". Seriously a 17 year old recruit was 4 years old when Penny last averaged over 5 ppg.
Double Diamond
Who knows. He will get 100% support to try and make it work.
Double Diamond
The difference between Penny Hardaway and Drexler are night and day. Hardaway is a coach. This is certainly a large jump, but Penny is a coach. Going from junior high head coach to high school to AAU. I'll say this as well, Drexler didn't run Houston high school and AAU hoops. Penny does and will have a major recruiting hot bed on lock down. Already flipped one recruit and word is will have the top 19 kid who was all Kentucky till this locked up.

You have no idea what your talking about Marc. Penny is a legend down there. Nobody cares about his nba 5 points a game. James Wiesmen the top 2019 recruit and long time Kentucky lean doesn't care and is said to now be going to Memphis one reason Penny.
94chem
Little Penny bobblehead night will be awesome.
MarcAg
AG
What do you mean I have no idea what I'm talking about? I dont think I really voiced any opinions or predictions. I never he is going to fail. Never said he would do well or door poorly. I have no clue. I'm just saying it's very similar to when Houston hired Drexler and their fans went crazy.
AgEfan
Looks like Diamond posted then went and did 3 minutes of internet search and became a Penny Hardaway expert and came back.

I agree with Mark it's very similar to UH. Not saying the results saying the hype. They were going ape sh*t when they hired him. It was going to turn that program into national champion people thought because what kid wouldn't want to play for UH now. I'm sure Penny will recruit well especially in the city but the real thing is finding out how good of a coach he is. Big difference from coaching HS and AAU and coaching Div 1 basketball.
bobinator
AG
I think the questions that are going to determine how this goes are:

A) How well does the coach the x's and o's at first? He's going to get some dudes for the first couple of years, so how much can he develop them/coach them/get them to play together/etc? Like are they going to just be pretty good, or are they really good?

but then

B) How well does he recruit after his ties to the AAU scene start to dry up?

I could easily see this being a situation where they're really good for a few years, but then they start to come back down. Having close AAU ties can kick start a college coach, but after that you're still playing the same game as everyone else and a lot of them have more experience doing it.

But we'll see, maybe he'll be great. Good on Memphis to go for it.
general ulysses
AG
Josh Pastner was an AAU legend and coached there with mixed results
Gladiator-91
AG
At least Memphis is trying to get better at the coaching spot. Wish we would try that.
Know Your Enemy
AG
MarcAg said:

Hopefully works out better for Memphis.
Why?
mdanyc03
AG
I think it is a brilliant hire.

I think Penny will always recruit well in Memphis. Yes, he has the ties to the current AAU players but he is absolutely a hero in Memphis. He is from there, he is the best basketball player to ever come out of there, he came back to live there, he invested his money there, he owns a barbershop there, he built a $20 million rec facility there, he coached middle school basketball there, he completely controls grass roots basketball there, he built Team Penny into one of the top youth basketball programs in the country. He is a legend there and it is irrelevant if Memphis kids remember seeing him play in the NBA or not.

The key to success at Memphis is recruiting Memphis. If he regularly gets most of the top players from Memphis they will be a consistent top 20 program. Tubby Smith was a complete disaster there because he refused to embrace Memphis. Penny on the other hand, IS the embodiment of Memphis basketball.

I don't really see the analogy to Clyde at all. Maybe if you combined Clyde and John Lucas it would be something similar but still the two situations are just completely different. Houston is an economically vibrant city that brings in people from all over America and the world. Completely different mentality than a "left behind" city like Memphis that doesn't have nearly as much to hang its civic pride on besides its home town heroes that embrace the city in the way that Penny has.
Double Diamond
The fans going crazy is similar but that's it. Penny is a coach. Again maybe not at this level, but is a real coach. Drexler being hired was like doing a bit.
AgEfan
Double Diamond said:

The fans going crazy is similar but that's it. Penny is a coach. Again maybe not at this level, but is a real coach. Drexler being hired was like doing a bit.

But if Memphis or any other team on that level hired a HS and AAU guy they would be laughed at. The difference is this guy played in NBA and he is their own. He certainly is unproven as a coach. Doesn't make it a bad hire. Time will tell
bobinator
AG
I still just don't like this general trend of hiring guys without college coaching experience. I know that for certain schools it might make sense for one reason or another, but I just don't like it as a general trend.
Double Diamond
I'm not crazy about hires like this either. I just think it's vastly different than Drexler or even Mullen. I think Memphis was so badly fractured and the Tubby hire was such a bad fit.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, like I get it for Memphis. I also kind of get it for Georgetown. The game is the game, I just don't particularly care for it.
Double Diamond
And both Georgetown and Memphis are again hiring coaches. Mullen and Drexler and Holberg had never coached. Yes it's a jump and both might fail in spectacular fashion. I kind of am enjoying seeing Calipari's formal school put a damper on his recruiting plans.
BBDP
AG
I'm pretty sure Mullen was a coach on the court.
CactusThomas
AG
mdanyc03 said:

I think it is a brilliant hire.

I think Penny will always recruit well in Memphis. Yes, he has the ties to the current AAU players but he is absolutely a hero in Memphis. He is from there, he is the best basketball player to ever come out of there, he came back to live there, he invested his money there, he owns a barbershop there, he built a $20 million rec facility there, he coached middle school basketball there, he completely controls grass roots basketball there, he built Team Penny into one of the top youth basketball programs in the country. He is a legend there and it is irrelevant if Memphis kids remember seeing him play in the NBA or not.

The key to success at Memphis is recruiting Memphis. If he regularly gets most of the top players from Memphis they will be a consistent top 20 program. Tubby Smith was a complete disaster there because he refused to embrace Memphis. Penny on the other hand, IS the embodiment of Memphis basketball.

Yeah I tend to agree. Put yourself in the position of Memphis fans - I would absolutely be excited.
Method Man
YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT MARK AG.
Double Diamond
Memphis adding Mike Miller. A person without a college degree, but is " working on one." So now we add people working on degrees.
Sex Panther
AG
Penny will always be awesome just because of Lil Penny
McNuggets
One player-coach that I expect to actually do very well is Ewing.
Triple-T
AG
Maybe we should just hire Shaq.
expresswrittenconsent
McNuggets said:

it will be interesting to see how he does. The fact that he couldn't get an nba gig after a decade on the bench is a bit of a concern.
mikesyracuse1
expresswrittenconsent said:

McNuggets said:

it will be interesting to see how he does. The fact that he couldn't get an nba gig after a decade on the bench is a bit of a concern.

I wasn't sure about this hire either but after seeing some of his games this year, if he can get talent to come to Georgetown, he may do a good job.

Mikesyracuse1
Iowaggie
AG

I think it's a good indicator that they are getting a huge deal on Penny.

They were paying Tubby $3 mm/year, with 3 years remaining.
With the fire, they stretch that to $1.5mm over 6 years.

Penny's contract is reportedly $1.5 mm/year, so they are paying 2 coaches what they were paying the 1.
Iowaggie
AG
Also, the proverbial word on the street is Penny has asked Larry Brown to be the assistant coach.

Larry Brown has said (reportedly), he's open to it.

The administration in Memphis is having some concerned discussions about bringing LB on staff.

Heisenberg01
AG
There are a couple of other differences between Clyde and Penny's situation that haven't been mentioned. One is the size of the cities that they are "legends" in. It takes an hour and half to drive across the Houston area. Most high school kids only knowledge of Clyde at the time was he was a hell of a player for Portland and "didn't he play with the Dream at some point?". Penny is known all across Memphis on a personal basis due to his coaching there still and the much smaller size of the city. Penny can probably go by every major Memphis basketball power in a day. Also the city of Houston was cranked out a lot of high level NBA talent. Penny has pretty much been The Guy for Memphis for this generation.

Also, Penny was always a much more marketable persona. Even though Clyde was the better basketball player, he never got the endorsements or attention that Penny got. A large part of that was Shaq playing in Orlando, but Penny certainly capitalized. His charisma could play out big on the recruiting front.
Serious Lee
clyde is such a lazy comparison. they hired him to recruit. something drex never did. end of story.

oh, he also has actually coached young hoopstars before.
AgEfan
Uncle Gunnysack said:

clyde is such a lazy comparison. they hired him to recruit. something drex never did. end of story.

oh, he also has actually coached young hoopstars before.

Actually it's not lazy at all. Both were nba stars, with no collegiate coaching experience, hired by their slam mater, and all the fans went crazy.

They hired him to recruit? Not to coach? Penny recruiting for his AAU team is hardly the same as recruiting for college. So actually you just made another comparison that is similar.

Nobody said he will fail like Drexler.
But to say it's no comparison is lazy by you.
Double Diamond
Yea it's lazy as Penny has coached unlike Clyde Drexler. And Penny is majorly involved in Memphis and has deep recruiting ties. Drexler hadn't been involved in Houston basketball in a long time. Had no coaching experience or coaching ties.
_lefraud_
AG
Heisenberg01 said:

There are a couple of other differences between Clyde and Penny's situation that haven't been mentioned. One is the size of the cities that they are "legends" in. It takes an hour and half to drive across the Houston area. Most high school kids only knowledge of Clyde at the time was he was a hell of a player for Portland and "didn't he play with the Dream at some point?". Penny is known all across Memphis on a personal basis due to his coaching there still and the much smaller size of the city. Penny can probably go by every major Memphis basketball power in a day. Also the city of Houston was cranked out a lot of high level NBA talent. Penny has pretty much been The Guy for Memphis for this generation.

Also, Penny was always a much more marketable persona. Even though Clyde was the better basketball player, he never got the endorsements or attention that Penny got. A large part of that was Shaq playing in Orlando, but Penny certainly capitalized. His charisma could play out big on the recruiting front.

Can you give a list of all the high level NBA talent the city of Houston has cranked out?
Heisenberg01
AG
Obviously Clyde's the best of them all, but guys like Rashard Lewis, Jimmy Butler, DeAndre Jordan, Stephen Jackson, Emeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Dwight Jones, Chris Birdman Andersen, BJ Ford, and Booby Gibson are no slouches. A lot more talent than Memphis has pumped out.

I'll hang up and listen...

Young Houstonians in the league... Kelly Oubre, Justise Winslow, Andrew Harrison...
_lefraud_
AG
Heisenberg01 said:

Obviously Clyde's the best of them all, but guys like Rashard Lewis, Jimmy Butler, DeAndre Jordan, Stephen Jackson, Emeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Dwight Jones, Chris Birdman Andersen, BJ Ford, and Booby Gibson are no slouches. A lot more talent than Memphis has pumped out.

I'll hang up and listen...

Young Houstonians in the league... Kelly Oubre, Justise Winslow, Andrew Harrison...

Stephen Jackson, Chris Andersen, and DJ Augustin? How on Earth are you claiming those guys?!

Memphis has Penny, Lorenzen Wright, Branden Wright, Thaddeus Young, Bingo Smith, and several other young guys in the league.

I'm not saying it's "better" than what Houston has produced, but Memphis has a very rich history in basketball, produces lots of good/great players, and is more than just Penny Hardaway.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.