BCG meets donor

5,546 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by sharpdressedman
Aston04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2018/03/31/amazing-story-woman-saved-life-college-basketball-coach

And some classic BCG footage---- 3:43- "Stop! Is that a sprint? Get out."

Love that guy. Will be praying for a full recovery.
mazzag
AG
No lov for him but glad he has a second chance for his health.
Pure Aggie
AG
What a azzhole thing to say.

Ashamed of you
mazzag
AG
Why? I don't wish him ill will. I just don't have any love for him. I'm an Aggie. Not a stepping stone. He's very fortunate to have this opportunity. My roommate from A&M's dad had a heart transplant years ago. I applaud organ donors and I am one.
aginlakeway
AG
mazzag said:

Wow. Life is not basketball.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
mazzag
AG
No it's not. And it's not basketball bias. OP said I love this guy.
EliteZags
AG
mazzag said:

Why? I don't wish him ill will. I just don't have any love for him. I'm an Aggie. Not a stepping stone. He's very fortunate to have this opportunity.

lulz I'm sure you would've turned down the UK job
Johnny2Fan
He doesn't have to like bcg. If you don't like that to damn bad.
Double Diamond
Happy for Billy. Hope he can coach again.
Triple-T
AG
Outside of Shebly Metcalf, BCG was the greates tthing to ever happen to A&M BB. I will never forget the good times and positive upturn he gave us.

Gig 'em, Coach.
Double Diamond
Teams always played with effort.
Buford T. Justice
AG
mazzag said:

I completely agree.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
OldAg68
AG
Great story - not so much about Billy but about the generosity and faithfulness of the donor.

We have three kidney donors and two recipients in our church family. It truly is the gift of life.

I still remember exactly where I was when I heard on the radio that Billy was leaving for UK. Sort of like hearing your high school girlfriend was dating someone else.
Double Diamond
It sucked when Gillispie left, but it was Kentucky. If any of you had the opportunity to go to the top of your profession you would as well.
The Debt
I got really excited thinking some Aggie donor was meeting with BCG and vetting him to return to CS
isitjustme
AG
Double Diamond said:

It sucked when Gillispie left, but it was Kentucky. If any of you had the opportunity to go to the top of your profession you would as well.
Agree, but it fell to BCG only after Billy Donovan and Rick Barnes (rumor has it) showed they didn't have the nads to take the pressure associated with the Kentucky job. So in this case, some had the opportunity to go to the top of their profession and passed. I admired BCG for having the courage to take that job, but alas, it did not work out for him there.
Double Diamond
Barnes had it too good at Texas. And Donovan had seen the fishbowl that Kentucky basketball is.

It's so strange how Texas is viewed as such a good job. I guess it's getting paid a lot with little pressure and live in Austin. Because you know you'll get very little fan support outside of you being crazy good. College basketball in Texas is just not a most see for the majority.
mazzag
AG
OldAg68 said:

Great story - not so much about Billy but about the generosity and faithfulness of the donor.

We have three kidney donors and two recipients in our church family. It truly is the gift of life.

I still remember exactly where I was when I heard on the radio that Billy was leaving for UK. Sort of like hearing your high school girlfriend was dating someone else.

I remember the radio guys talking about him & Arkansas. Bill King said he'd be crazy to leave what he had here (we would've built a statue in his honor) and Texas is his home. Everyone wants to hang on to "of course he'd leave us for Kentucky" but he had one foot out the door already when we played in that S16 game. I'm thankful he brought life back to mbb program, but some refuse to remember he had a wandering eye. And not just at the Fox & Hound.
TyHolden
AG
left kidneys
_lefraud_
AG
mazzag said:

OldAg68 said:

I remember the radio guys talking about him & Arkansas. Bill King said he'd be crazy to leave what he had here (we would've built a statue in his honor) and Texas is his home. Everyone wants to hang on to "of course he'd leave us for Kentucky" but he had one foot out the door already when we played in that S16 game. I'm thankful he brought life back to mbb program, but some refuse to remember he had a wandering eye. And not just at the Fox & Hound.

He was using Arky for leverage, nothing more. He was working with a realtor on finding a place to build in B/CS.
Double Diamond
What I heard as well ^.
buffalo chip
S
BCG made TAMU men's basketball so much fun! I have always wanted him back, without his demons.

T&P to BCG and Ms. Downey. I hope it turns out well for both. An incredible sacrifice by a total stranger... Incredible.
Hop
Staff
AG
Double Diamond said:

BCG got cold feet and tried to call Byrne. He wouldn't take his call. BCG went through donor intermediaries to reach Byrne, and Byrne told them he wouldn't take Billy back. The damage was done.
GE
AG
Hop said:

Double Diamond said:

BCG got cold feet and tried to call Byrne. He wouldn't take his call. BCG went through donor intermediaries to reach Byrne, and Byrne told them he wouldn't take Billy back. The damage was done.
Byrne was and idiot to be so stubborn.

saddens me to think what a really good coach could have done with Turgeon's best team that BCG gave to him that first year.
expresswrittenconsent
Yeah, that first Turge team was similar to this past season. Final 4 type talent. Multiple inexcusable 20pt blowout losses but a few performances that really showed their potential. We shoulda never been an 8 seed. We should have been a 3 or 4 seed and not have had to face westbrook and love until the 3rd or 4th round of the dance.
QCAg93
AG
I agree with some of the above comments. Even though I heard he was a jerk it was the first time I was ever excited about Aggie basketball. Tony Barone was coaching when I was there and followed the coaches thereafter without much fanfare. But WOW his players were exciting to watch. I like a team who is aggressive defensively and not afraid to foul out or almost foul out. It was another lesson where a GREAT defense can be done by almost any team with just an average offense can win a lot of games. If Johnny deserved a statue for Kyle Field he deserves something for Aggie basketball. He put us on the map for sure.
Method Man
Yeah. Byrne was a proud fool who thought he could easily replace BCG. Very talented at winning at sports no one really cares about.
Method Man
Wish our boosters had loved BCG like they do BK.
mikesyracuse1
Hop said:

Double Diamond said:

Some of the backstories to the BCG exit is jaw dropping but true. A really sad way to exit after so much success in a short time.

Mikesyracuse1
Ags #1
AG
Bcg really wanted to back out from coaching at one of the most historic basketball schools of all time? And then Byrne wouldn't take him back?
Hop
Staff
AG
Method Man said:

Wish our boosters had loved BCG like they do BK.
YOu know, all of the blame doesn't fall on the university and donors. BCG wasn't easy to deal with and not the best communicator outside of basketball. The university tried to give him what he wanted, but he jumped on the Arkansas interest and then Kentucky.

Also, BCG wasn't as confident in private as he was publicly, He was very nervous about 2007-2008 losing Law, AK, and Marlon, and concerned he raised expectations so quickly that he couldn't live up to that 2007 team. That's why he was so quick to chase those other opportunities.

When I was told at the time that BCG was calling Byrne from Lexington before he was announced the head coach, I was praying that Byrne would swallow his pride and take the call. But while we are rightfully upset with Byrne, it was BCG that pushed Byrne into a corner in the first place..
6-4-3
AG
Well stated, and I believe your summary is accurate. Boy it was fun while it lasted though. Senior Day for our last home game was one of my favorite Aggie sports memories of all time. What a team. What a ride.
Method Man
He wasn't in a corner, though. A lot of head coaches are primadonnas. He was the talent. Not Byrne. Yes. Nothing is ever 100% someone's fault when egos are involved. If the guy who gets you in the top 10 calls, you take it. Look at Donovan. He was rumored to take UK job and then got cold feet and went back to Florida. Imagine being so proud you put that over the success of your program.
Hop
Staff
AG
Method Man said:

He wasn't in a corner, though. A lot of head coaches are primadonnas. He was the talent. Not Byrne. Yes. Nothing is ever 100% someone's fault when egos are involved. If the guy who gets you in the top 10 calls, you take it. Look at Donovan. He was rumored to take UK job and then got cold feet and went back to Florida. Imagine being so proud you put that over the success of your program.

BCG wasn't honest with him about the Arkansas job, and he wasn't honest with him about the Kentucky job. Then the guy calls from the campus of UK wanting to come back. WAs it another play for more money or another basketball facility? Don;t act like what Byrne did was out of left field. Yeah, I think he should have taken the call, but if you are Byrne and you already have Turgeon's agent on the line, do you jeopardize that deal for a guy that has been very volatile and not honest with you....and he had been volatile long before the Arkansas/UK opportunities came around. BCG was a bit nuts. That's what made him so great as a coach, but it also made him a nightmare of an employee. Yeah, Byrne should have dealt with it because BCG was getting results...but there were issues.

I'm not saying what BCG did was wrong. He did what many of these coaches do. They play both sides for more money and more facilities. But at some point an AD has to take that into consideration. Does BCG come back home and then starts into the same schtick? I'm not defending Byrne because he owed it to all of us to take BCG's call at the very least. But I'm not going to say Byrne was without ANY merit to tell BCG to stay at UK.

As we've seen since he took the UK job, BCG was out of control and not stable. We all assume that BCG would have continued to create 2007-caliber teams had he stayed at A&M, but there was a good chance he was going to lose it whether he was at A&M, UK, Tech, or Ranger.
Double Diamond
I think this came down to Byrne thinking he was a basketball whisperer. A bit of Byrne tired of Gillispies behavior. And just plan old ego. I think Gillispie burned so hot he was going to burn up regardless. However, staying at A&M would've bought him time and extended his career a tad. I don't buy a lot of stuff that went on at Tech. I think it was an excuse to move off a coach they quickly found was hard to deal with. Kentucky was just a bad fit. Outside of health Ranger has gone well. Outside of Jeff Goodman telling me they don't like Gillispie at Ranger either. Goodman was always fast to bring out the Gillispie hit pieces. Has an axe to grind over something.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.