Tyler Davis declares for the NBA draft

5,738 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Method Man
SpecAg08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Per numbers:

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Article/Texas-AM-basketball-Tyler-Davis-declares-for-the-NBA-Draft-116607373

Good luck TD.
85AustinAg
AG
If he doesn't sign with an Agent, doesn't that mean he's just testing the waters?
SpecAg08
AG
It appears you are correct. From the article:

"Davis doesn't have an agent, and it is currently unknown if he will sign an agent. If he remains unsigned, he will be eligible to return to Texas A&M for his senior season."
Double Diamond
If I were Tyler. I'd go. If you go undrafted I bet you get a FA signing. How much does your stock improve? Not a Kennedy bash, but really Davis isn't gonna be taught to play above the rim or become more athletic. I doubt Kennedy can improve his shooting. But who knows bet it's just a feed back deal.
hurleyag
AG
Double Diamond said:

If I were Tyler. I'd go. If you go undrafted I bet you get a FA signing. How much does your stock improve? Not a Kennedy bash, but really Davis isn't gonna be taught to play above the rim or become more athletic. I doubt Kennedy can improve his shooting. But who knows bet it's just a feed back deal.
Coming back would be more so for finishing his degree, not to improve his chances of playing professional ball.
Double Diamond
Can always get a degree. I mean it's not crazy to think Tyler could go in the 2nd round. Mavs took that big slow center out of Purdue in the 2nd round.
hurleyag
AG
Double Diamond said:

Can always get a degree.
Not for free via a basketball scholarship.
Double Diamond
Make some money and he can swing the payment.
Olsen
AG
I'll never forget this play!

Thanks for the memories Tyler!
_lefraud_
AG
hurleyag said:

Double Diamond said:

Can always get a degree.
He's probably less than 20 credits away from his degree (if that many). Also, I know some schools have created programs to help fund former athletes coming back to finish their degree, as they can earn APR/Graduation credit (I think) if someone finishes their degree.

I agree with Ben, that he really can't improve his stock, so from a basketball standpoint, it would be best for him to seek playing professionally...

However, as many on here, I'm a huge fan of his, and as much as I want a coaching change, I'd love to see Davis come back and cement himself as one of the top 5 players to ever suit up for the Ags (he might be there already).
greg.w.h
AG
If Tyler were to be drafted it likely would be because of the strength and conditioning work he put in leading into the 2017-2018 campaign. That was truly impressive and definitely improved his game.

I agree he is not going to become an above the rim player and he's a tad short for center so the notion of "rim protector" doesn't quite fit today. But he has a solid foundation physically to learn on top of. I would guess getting drafted is a bit of a long shot. But I wish him the absolute best. He was our rock this year.
bobinator
AG
Whether he can improve his stock sort of depends on whether you think he has the potential to be an NBA player anyway.

If he hears from scouts that he could be an NBA player if he had an outside shot because that's the way the game is trending, then he probably could improve his stock some. He flashed a three point shot at times this year, but another offseason of work and he could improve it even more. I'm not going to doubt Tyler Davis' offseason work ethic.

If he's hearing that his future is overseas anyway, then maybe he can't.

Either way, best of luck to him, one of the hardest working players I've ever seen.
wacarnolds
AG
hurleyag said:

Double Diamond said:

Can always get a degree.
I believe all the professional leagues now provide some sort of continuing education assistance for their players
94chem
I'll never forget how his coach came up with a game plan that required him to guard lightning-quick midgets on the perimeter in the biggest game of the season.
Gap
AG
This has been expected since last season. It is very common. You get a draft grade and to see where the NBA evaluates you, don't hire an agent, and make a decision after that.
atm0812
AG
Double Diamond said:

If Hogg and Davis come back and play the 4 & 5 together, it would really open things up for Tyler down low. Combining increased success in the post from better spacing with the opportunity to get better at the midrange (possibly even 3 point) jumper could make Tyler much more attractive to nba teams.

That being said, he (and any other junior) should absolutely "test the waters" and see what type of feedback the nba gives him. It would be foolish not to at least ask.
bobinator
AG
I do think we should maybe get staff to edit the thread title to "test the NBA waters" or "without an agent" or something
Pumpkinhead
AG
When Caruso talked about why he stuck it out in the states in the G-League making peanuts vs going to Europe, he said once you go overseas your NBA chances significantly drop. Out of sight = out of mind. So he stuck it out in the states and finally broke through with that 2-way contract.

Caruso also said the lifestyle and facilities/perks were actually much nicer in college than the G-League life.

If I was advising Davis, my general thoughts would be:

1) if he no shot of getting drafted this year AND he is willing to pretty much give up on an NBA dream, AND graduating is not a priority (tired of school), then go pro overseas and probably can make some good money.

2) if he thinks based on NBA feedback that he has at least a good shot to get one of those 2-way G-League contracts, then go pro and get that path going to chase an NBA dream.

3) otherwise, if he has an NBA dream and his only choices are to be a high profile player who is the focal point of a team in D1 next year, finish degree, plus the niceties of being a college athlete vs the G-League life making very little with less perks... I would tell him to just stay in school and play things out that way one more year.
bobinator
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

When Caruso talked about why he stuck it out in the states in the G-League making peanuts vs going to Europe, he said once you go overseas your NBA chances significantly drop. Out of sight = out of mind. So he stuck it out in the states and finally broke through with that 2-way contract.
Your own (and your family's) financial situation can play a big role here also that's often overlooked. If making even some money would make a big difference to your family, then sometimes grinding it out making peanuts isn't an option. Some guys can easily make six figures playing overseas which for some of their families could be life changing money.

I'm not speculating on people's financial situation, just saying that that's often an overlooked part of the equation for some guys.
Mayhaw Jelly
AG
bobinator said:

I do think we should maybe get staff to edit the thread title to "test the NBA waters" or "without an agent" or something

That was the title of the article. 247 looooves attention.
MarcAg
AG
I think it would be a big mistake to stay in the draft. But he has to do what he feels is best.
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Your own (and your family's) financial situation can play a big role here also that's often overlooked. If making even some money would make a big difference to your family, then sometimes grinding it out making peanuts isn't an option. Some guys can easily make six figures playing overseas which for some of their families could be life changing money.

I'm not speculating on people's financial situation, just saying that that's often an overlooked part of the equation for some guys.

Good point Bob. Yeah, even if going overseas is not a good route to chase an NBA dream, if you need to start earning money now then you gotta do what you gotta do.

But if you are choosing between G-League life vs college life, my impression is G-League life compared to life as a college athlete....basically sucks. Listened to Van Gundy recently talk about the unique challenges of coaching in G-League because literally your entire roster...nobody wants to be there. The pay is minimal.

So unless you can get one of those nice 2-way contracts like Caruso and Jones have, the better pay and some actual NBA game experience that comes with those contracts, i wouldn't necessarily recommend hopping over to G-League if you can afford to let things play out longer.
MidTnAg
AG
I hope he does not sign with an agent and thoroughly test the waters. Then he will have a very difficult decision to make. I believe there is about a 30% chance he returns for his senior year.
Wizard
Hearing he isn't going to be the only one to do this (may be at least two-three more).
MarcAg
AG
Wizard said:

Hearing he isn't going to be the only one to do this (may be at least two-three more).

There really is no reason not to do it. It's a great chance for scouts to evaluate you and give you feedback on what you need to do to improve your stock.
GE
AG
Wizard said:

Logan said on premium like a month or two ago that he expects Admon, Tyler, and DJ to all do it but in no way does that mean they are gone
Pumpkinhead
AG
MarcAg said:

Wizard said:

There really is no reason not to do it. It's a great chance for scouts to evaluate you and give you feedback on what you need to do to improve your stock.
If you are a college junior with any kind of pro potential, seems like a no brainer to declare (without hiring an agent) and go through the pre-draft scouting process. There is no downside to gathering as much information as possible.
mikesyracuse1
Nothing new here.

It's a good move and he needs to do this and so does DJ. It will give them both good feedback for future decisions.

They'll both have until the end of May to make a decision. Unless something changes in the next few weeks, I still expect them to return.

Mikesyracuse1
cedar
he gone. wish him luck. he's doing the right thing and as a poster above said he's not the only one leaving. now if we could only get kennedy to leave.
TAM85
Plano West grad =/= poor
94chem
So, what's Elonu up to these days?
MarcAg
AG
94chem said:

So, what's Elonu up to these days?
Putting up 5 pts and 4 rebs a game in Greece.
Matsui
AG
How much is he getting paid for that?
TMartin
Good for him..What is it Davis would be coming back to next year?
MarcAg
AG
Matsui said:

How much is he getting paid for that?
Im sure its more than I am making sitting at my desk currently.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.