Coach Kennedy is the most successful

8,602 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by t - cam
4ZORRO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Coach in the History of A&M. In the last 3 years has carried us to the Sweet 16 two times. Has never been done before in the history of A&M. Gig 'em.
Sananag
That speaks volumes.
Method Man
Sucky history.
Double Diamond
Oh yea? His league record doesn't count? Just two games in March make him the best?
peace
S
oh yeah, what about that ''body of work'' often mentioned regarding a coach's tenure?
Double Diamond
Turgeon or Gillispie both won more overall games over a theee year stretch. But four games makes him the best to this person.
t - cam
AG
Double Diamond said:

Oh yea? His league record doesn't count? Just two games in March make him the best?

He's won a conference title. It's not nothing.
Aggie87
AG
This year he took a Final Four caliber team to the Sweet 16 and got their asses kicked. After a miracle beatdown of UNC.

Two year ago he took a team to the Sweet 16 and got their asses kicked, after a miracle comeback against Northern Iowa.

Both times it was more players somehow clicking and/or not giving up, rather than any quality coaching. Then coaching got our asses kicked each time.
Double Diamond
Nope. But the other two years weren't a thing of beauty. And his one conference title was at the peek of a down league.
t - cam
AG
Aggie87 said:

This year he took a Final Four caliber team to the Sweet 16 and got their asses kicked. After a miracle beatdown of UNC.

Two year ago he took a team to the Sweet 16 and got their asses kicked, after a miracle comeback against Northern Iowa.

Both times it was more players somehow clicking and/or not giving up, rather than any quality coaching. Then coaching got our asses kicked each time.

This team was never a final 4 team. They got a high ranking based on beating teams that were overrated.
Double Diamond
Was still a season full of madness. I agree this wasnt a " final four team" is laughable. Way more goes into a final four run than roster. I've kind said you guys overate this roster. I'd still take the 20+ seasons out of Gillispie or Turgeon.
t - cam
AG
Double Diamond said:

Was still a season full of madness. I agree this wasnt a " final four team" is laughable. Way more goes into a final four run than roster. I've kind said you guys overate this roster. I'd still take the 20+ seasons out of Gillispie or Turgeon.

I hated the turgeon seasons. The way this season played out seemed to be a typical turgeon season. We had long losing steaks almost every year. Seemed like we were always pulling ourselves out of the fire back then.
Double Diamond
The Big 12 vs. this league. I know yall love the SEC I just don't see it as the pressure cooker. And Turgeons teams while problematic at times, had more toughness. And yea I like Turgeons personality better. I like coaches who are sour and pissed off. Makes me feel like they care. I know Kennedy cares, but I don't care for his personality. Yea I'm shallow like that.
GE
AG
Double Diamond said:

BCG yes, Turge no. I wouldn't trade Kennedy for Turgeon straight up.
Double Diamond
Says so much about you. You overate rosters and what recruiting services say. Turgeon is every bit the better bench coach.
EXCELL
1) Coach Kennedy is the most successful coach since Mark Turgeon
2) Coach Kennedy is the most successful coach in the past 7 years

FIFY
pantherag
AG
OP not this again. smh All that means is we have a very poor history.
t - cam
AG
EXCELL said:

1) Coach Kennedy is the most successful coach since Mark Turgeon
2) Coach Kennedy is the most successful coach in the past 7 years

FIFY

He is at worst the third best coach in a&M's history based on results. I certainly don't think he's great but he has captained the ship of 2 of our 4 greatest seasons in the last 50 years and what is easily the best win and the best tournament moment of our schools history.
wacarnolds
AG
Double Diamond said:

There's not a single coach out there that is judged by league record. Don't be dumb
TempleAg97
AG
GE said:

Double Diamond said:

You wouldn't trade 4 NCAA tournaments in 4 years for 2 in 7??
wacarnolds
AG
4ZORRO said:

Coach Kennedy is the most successful coach in the History of A&M.

BCG essentially batted 1.000 in his 3 years here, so you can't beat that without at least a final four. But I'll take Kennedy's accomplishments over any of the other coaches. I think the next guy kills it when we get around to giving him the chance.
Method Man
Did you make the tourney?
How far did you go?
Honestly, I'm also influenced by how many times it looks like you got worked by a team you should be competitive with and vice versa AND how engaged your team is.
wacarnolds
AG
TempleAg97 said:

GE said:

Double Diamond said:

You wouldn't trade 4 NCAA tournaments in 4 years for 2 in 7??

In 20 years, very few people will hold any of Turgeon's teams dear. A lot of great Aggies came through the program and some memorable games/moments, but forgettable years imo. Love guys like Sloan, Roland, BD, Walkup, Holmes, on and on, it's a shame they couldn't get over the hump.
wacarnolds
AG
Method Man said:

How far did you go?
Honestly, I'm also influenced by how many times it looks like you got worked by a team you should be competitive with and vice versa AND how engaged your team is.

Kennedy has 2 sweet 16s, the most impressive NCAAT win in school history, one of the greatest wins in NCAAT history, and our only conference title since whenever.

Any formula you use that doesn't put him at #2 is crap
claym711
AG
Haha. 4 wins in March in 7 years doesn't mean crap. It's a failure. In fact, it's garbage results. A miracle comeback doesn't even sniff one of the greatest wins in NCAAT history, and beating UNC in the round of 32 is meaningless with the following result. Kennedy has done nothing but set the program back.
wacarnolds
AG
claym711 said:

Haha. 4 wins in March in 7 years doesn't mean crap. It's a failure. In fact, it's garbage results. A miracle comeback doesn't even sniff one of the greatest wins in NCAAT history, and beating UNC in the round of 32 is meaningless with the following result. Kennedy has done nothing but set the program back.

It's sad that people can't enjoy success because they hate the coach on a personal level. Feels like you take it too seriously at that point and need to find something more productive to do with your time.
Topher17
AG
wacarnolds said:

Method Man said:

How far did you go?

Kennedy has 2 sweet 16s, the most impressive NCAAT win in school history, one of the greatest wins in NCAAT history, and our only conference title since whenever.

I mean, BCG and Turgeon never had a losing conference record, something BK has accomplished four times in seven years in a much weaker conference, but okay.

He may have won more games in the tournament the two times he's been, but four games shouldn't qualify someone as a better coach when he clearly isn't better at x's & o's or sustaining program success. He's been here seven years and has fewer postseason appearances (lets not act like the CBI counts) than Turgeon and the same number as BCG, who was only here three years. You could argue BK against Shelby, but I don't buy him being better than the other two previously mentioned. Judge the body of work, not four games out of seven years.
wacarnolds
AG
Topher17 said:

wacarnolds said:

Method Man said:

How far did you go?

I mean, BCG and Turgeon never had a losing conference record, something BK has accomplished four times in seven years in a much weaker conference, but okay.

He may have won more games in the tournament the two times he's been, but four games shouldn't qualify someone as a better coach when he clearly isn't better at x's & o's or sustaining program success. He's been here seven years and has fewer postseason appearances (lets not act like the CBI counts) than Turgeon and the same number as BCG, who was only here three years. You could argue BK against Shelby, but I don't buy him being better than the other two previously mentioned. Judge the body of work, not four games out of seven years.

Better ain't got nothing to do with it. BK may have failed more than Turgeon, but he accomplished more, which is how I'd define "most successful"

To put it another way, you don't have to have the highest batting average to win MVP.
t - cam
AG
One thing should be pointed out. I don't think many on here would clarify as a Kennedy Homer but most that defend him do so only to point out the fact that while not great he isn't nearly the awful coach some want to pin him as.
PatAg
AG
wacarnolds said:

Double Diamond said:

There's not a single coach out there that is judged by league record. Don't be dumb
You mean besides every coach in existence?
PatAg
AG
wacarnolds said:

Topher17 said:

wacarnolds said:

Method Man said:

How far did you go?

Better ain't got nothing to do with it. BK may have failed more than Turgeon, but he accomplished more, which is how I'd define "most successful"

To put it another way, you don't have to have the highest batting average to win MVP.
Hopefully you arent in charge of any businesses.
wacarnolds
AG
PatAg said:

wacarnolds said:

Double Diamond said:

You mean besides every coach in existence?

No one gives a **** about BCG's conference record or Turgeon's conference record.

Hell we won the damn conference and half the people here will argue it's overrated because Kennedy happened to be the one to do it
wacarnolds
AG
PatAg said:

wacarnolds said:

Topher17 said:

wacarnolds said:

Method Man said:

How far did you go?

Hopefully you arent in charge of any businesses.

Hopefully!
EXCELL
He finished 7th or WORSE in 5 of his 7 years here after assuming a program with a nice string of NCAA tourney appearances and was picked to win the conference in his first year ....

BUT he finished NINTH .... freakin' NINTH. He was 4 of 14 in conference play that year.

He's had FOUR seasons of less than .500 in conference play ... FOUR of seven.

Yeah ... he's awesome. Greatness in action.

My God. You Kennedy Kissers just amaze me.
EXCELL
Quote:

No but your overall stats in the other areas better be consistently excellent.

4 out of 7 LOSING seasons in conference play ain't excellent
5 out of 7 seasons in 7th place or WORSE ain't excellent
And he inherited a program with SIX CONSECUTIVE NCAA tourney appearances.

MVP my a$$

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.