When do we hear on Davis and Hogg?

8,599 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by basic8
Electric
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know there is a date to declare for the draft but if they go the Euro route I guess that doesn't matter.
EKG1996
AG
NBA Draft early entry entrant withdrawal deadline is June 17.
Pioneer
Hogg? No way, too slow and not ready.
Hope Tyler stays, too.
GenericAggie
AG
Pioneer said:

Hogg? No way, too slow and not ready.
Hope Tyler stays, too.

Can't shoot
Turnovers
Lazy
Bad defensively

Ags #1
AG
Maybe not nba but oversees
Double Diamond
Go make some cash.
LawHall88
AG
Tyler was born 25 years too late. In the grind it out NBA of the 1980s, he could be a contributor. In today's spread the floor European ball style, he's a tough fit. Williams can make it because of his athleticism. Tyler is a worker, but lacks the quickness and jumping ability, I think, to be that effective as or rebounder or rim protector, and the Michigan game showed that he would have a very tough time defending ball handlers away from the basket.

That said, I hope I'm completely wrong. No one works harder or deserves it more than Tyler.
Blazer
AG
Sadly, I think both may be gone
Electric
AG
Not deabating whether they have an NBA career. Wondering when hey announce if they are leaving
mikesyracuse1
As of today, I expect them both to be back and 4 of the 5 starters back in the lineup next season.

Three senior starters in the SEC is less common now.

Mikesyracuse1
basic8
Every team in America, including DII, has multiple players think their going pro...."playing in Europe" isn't welfare available to 1,500 players per year, just because they want to leave college, and their handful of fans think they're talented enough.

"There is always Europe" is just not as simple as it reads. But hell, there is the Big Ball league.
GE
AG
mikesyracuse1 said:

As of today, I expect them both to be back and 4 of the 5 starters back in the lineup next season.

Mikesyracuse1
Good to hear. I expect the same. If Hogg can carry some of his intensity from the last 1/4 of the season into his senior year he has a chance to really make himself some money. Has a chance to get in better shape for next season as well considering he was hurt most of summer 2017
CapCityAg89
AG
So how about a discussion on how Hogg COULD BE NBA ready. In other words, what could he do? He already looks quite a bit bigger over his freshman year and looks 6-9 or 6-10 compared to Tonny and Tyler. What if he worked on adding another 20 pounds of muscle, developed a post game and kept shooting threes. More of a 4 than a 3? I think he can keep up with a 4 defensively if he can build his post strength. Thoughts?
PatAg
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

So how about a discussion on how Hogg COULD BE NBA ready. In other words, what could he do? He already looks quite a bit bigger over his freshman year and looks 6-9 or 6-10 compared to Tonny and Tyler. What if he worked on adding another 20 pounds of muscle, developed a post game and kept shooting threes. More of a 4 than a 3? I think he can keep up with a 4 defensively if he can build his post strength. Thoughts?
I would say he has more of a chance at doing that than increasing his quickness on the perimeter to guard 2's and 3's in the NBA.
Jumbo Fister
AG
I feel like if he maxed his potential he could be a Kuzma-lite. Kuzma is quicker with better handles, but similar frame and shooting. I wish Hogg used his 3 point shooting as icing on the cake rather than it be his defining characteristic.
Aston04
AG
I agree Hogg should be a stretch 4. Not quick enough or good enough dribbler to play 3 as well.

If Davis and Hogg come back next year there would some hope putting Hogg at 4. Williams was kind of a square peg for a round hole- given our roster with Davis on it.
Jumbo Fister
AG
Yeah if Davis and Hogg stay I'd like Hogg to move to the 4. Doubt itll happen but with RW gone there's a chance. RW was never a 4 here anyway
Double Diamond
Hogg should totally be a four.
Aston04
AG
Desk said:

Yeah if Davis and Hogg stay I'd like Hogg to move to the 4. Doubt itll happen but with RW gone there's a chance. RW was never a 4 here anyway
buy rw moved Davis to a 4. And removing Hogg from playing 4 much.
txag72
AG

Power forward (4): The power forward on a basketball team is usually responsible for rebounding and some scoring in the paint. A power forward should be big and strong and able to clear out some space under the basket. Many great power forwards in the game today do not score a lot of points, but lead their team in rebounds. Power forwards are often good shot blockers as well.

What part of this definition brings Hogg to mind? Hogg doesn't meet the criteria for any position if he's not shooting 40% from 3.
Aston04
AG
Stretch4
Jumbo Fister
AG
Hogg should've played golf according to him so...
txag72
AG
Quote:

Stretch4
Who does the heavy lifting then?
DTP02
AG
txag72 said:

Quote:

Stretch4
Who does the heavy lifting then?

Hogg would have to spend some time in the paint on defense if you play him primarily as a stretch 4, which would mean not just bulking up but a lot of work learning to be a better post defender.

On offense, if you play Flagg at the 3 he's a very good offensive rebounder so can help on the glass. Nebo backs up Tyler at 5 and plays alongside him in the paint when Hogg is off the floor or when Hogg is playing the 3 in a big lineup.

It could work.
SeattleAg05
AG
The last mock draft I looked at last week had Hogg mid second round.

That said I am really hopeful we'll see one more run of gilder, Hogg, and Davis. If they haven't already, I think that could solidify the class as the greatest in school history.
GE
AG
SeattleAg05 said:

The last mock draft I looked at last week had Hogg mid second round.

That said I am really hopeful we'll see one more run of gilder, Hogg, and Davis. If they haven't already, I think that could solidify the class as the greatest in school history.
Which one did you look at? I've looked at a couple this afternoon and haven't seen him on there at all.
skaggsjw
AG
Neither should go pro. Tyler Davis would be like a young David West with less touch and less athleticism. Maybe I'm wrong, but he's not a great fit for all the length in the NBA. He'd be posting up against guys that could block his shot 1/2 the time even if he made a great move. Great college player, though. Maybe he'd work in Europe somewhere.

Hogg is like a lot of European fours in the NBA but isn't as consistent of a shooter and more turnover prone. He's just not strong enough with the basketball and would have to play the four to have chance of defending anyone in the NBA. He's got more upside in the NBA than Tyler based on body type an skill set but he has a long way to go to be NBA ready.

They should both stay unless they get really good Euro offers.
GE
AG
I think Hogg still has some physical maturing to do. The injury last season and this past summer kept him from getting the full benefit from offseason workouts.
StanGundy
I expect Davis, Hogg, and possibly even Gilder to apply for the NBA Draft without hiring agents. There is absolutely zero reason for them not to. Players can do so up to three times during their career, and none of these have ever used the evaluation process. Even if they are set on returning, any feedback or workouts they could possibly get from NBA teams would be worthwhile.
mhayden
I think we've all assumed all along that they will get NBA evals. That's pretty standard.

When most people are talking about Hogg/Davis leaving, it's more than that.
Method Man
Hey he just started shaving twice a week!
SeattleAg05
AG
It was ESPN after the first weekend
Adam87inSA
AG
mikesyracuse1 said:

Mikesyracuse1
i really hope you're right
PJYoung
AG
As much as they drove me crazy at times this season, it would be fun to have those three back one more time.
texag86
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.