Senior Acie Law vs Freshman TJ Starks - First 2 NCAA Rounds - Offense Numbers

2,372 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wacarnolds
Pumpkinhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Acie Law (Senior All American) - 2007 NCAA Tournament

First Round vs. Penn
20 points, 3 assists, 3 turnovers, 6-15 FGM-FGA, 1-1 3PM-3PA
Second Round vs Louisville
26 points, 1 assist, 4 turnovers, 6-14 FGM-FGA, 1-1 3PM-3PA
Totals First 2 Rounds 2007 NCAA Tournament
46 points, 4 assists, 7 turnovers, 12-27 FGM-FGA, 2-2 3PM-3PA

TJ Starks (Freshman) - 2018 NCAA Tournament

First Round Vs Providence
15 points, 8 assists, 6 turnovers, 5-12 FGM-FGA, 2-5 3PM-3PA
Second Round Vs North Carolina
21 points, 5 assists, 5 turnovers, 7-15 FGM-FGA, 2-6 3PM-3PA
Totals First 2 Rounds 2018 NCAA Tournament
36 points, 13 assists, 11 turnovers, 12-27 FGM-FGA, 4-11 3PM-3PA
JMJLAW
AG
He will be first or second team all conference next year.
Whaler
AG
For a freshman, he's been amazing, and his ability to create his own shot has been invaluable to our team.
"Son, you've obviously been concentrating too much on one subject!" -- Shelby Metcalf to a basketball player upon reviewing his official grade report containing one "D" and the rest "F's"
txag72
AG
I'm not understanding the people ragging on him at all. We wouldn't have made the tourney without him. And we wouldn't be in the Sweet 16 (and beyond) without him. I seriously think the team had given up hope after the Wilson injury and the Caldwell dismissal (yea yea he hadn't contributed, but no depth left, etc.) but saw hope again when he showed what he was capable of.

MVP, no, but could not have done it without him.
wacarnolds
AG
Considering the opponent and the location and the opposing PG, those Round 2 performances for Acie and TJ have to be on the Mount Rushmore of postseason performances in A&M history
NoahAg
Wow, not too shabby. Surprised at the assist differential. How do their minutes played compare?
wacarnolds
AG
NoahAg said:

Wow, not too shabby. Surprised at the assist differential. How do their minutes played compare?
Acie was 39, then 35. TJ 34, then 32.

Speaking of minutes played, did we ever properly commend Admon for playing all 40 mins vs Providence?
Pumpkinhead
AG
wacarnolds said:

Considering the opponent and the location and the opposing PG, those Round 2 performances for Acie and TJ have to be on the Mount Rushmore of postseason performances in A&M history
There is a LOT to like about what Starks did in those first two rounds of the NCAA tournament.

If he was a 22-year old senior with 100+ more college game experience under his belt like Acie Law was, sure he'd probably have a couple less turnovers per game.

But you gotta factor in that since he is an 18 year old who wasn't put into a heavy minutes primary role until February, he was probably going to have a couple 'freshman' moments in each game even on a good day. And the staff is having to extra manage him including occasionally taking him out to settle him down.

Other than that, the guy has been pretty outstanding in this NCAA tournament.

And yeah, as you said, in particular Stark's stat line versus North Carolina looks EVERY bit as good as Acie Law's versus Louisville.
BattlinB
AG
Good stuff Maynard
StickTogetherAgs
Method Man
Gonna be an absolute star. There are several games he just took over and won for us.
gougler08
AG
His ability to go iso when the clock is winding down is a huge plus...especially now that he's playing in the offense more and mostly doing the iso only when needed

Hop will be along soon to remind us that his defense isn't great...but luckily we have Williams and Davis to patrol the rim so this isn't that big of a deal to me
snowdog90
Another thing about Starks is that his misses are usually good misses. By that, I mean that he is usually driving to the basket drawiing help defenders, giving our big guys great oppurtunities for offensive rebounds.
PatAg
AG
The only real knock I have on him are those early pull up 3s, but he's also a true freshman.

I love a lot of his game, hope he works on a runner in the offseason..and I guess maybe his man defense.
bobinator
AG
This is kind of a wild theory and could be a little off-base, but I also think his style of play has given others guys more confidence.

Like, Starks has no real reason to think he can go out there and ball on Joel Berry, but that's exactly what he did. I think other guys have seen that attitude and started playing with more of a "why not" attitude. There's no real way to prove if that's true, but it certainly seems like our whole team is suddenly playing with more of an edge.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
wacarnolds said:

NoahAg said:

Acie was 39, then 35. TJ 34, then 32.

Speaking of minutes played, did we ever properly commend Admon for playing all 40 mins vs Providence?
To me, Admon Gilder is the Rodney Thomas of basketball. Don't know why,...I just get that feeling.
Know Your Enemy
AG
What % of the team's total points did each of them score? Weren't we a much lower scoring team then?
JJxvi
AG
A&M-72, Louisville-69
A&M-68, Penn-52

A&M-86, UNC-65
A&M-73, UNC-69
JJxvi
AG
We scored more points per game in 06-07 generally, but pretty much the same 75.6 ppg then, 75.3 this year.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Acie hit a ton of FT's in that Louisville game, right?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Just checked it. He was 13-15 from the line in a 3 point win. Captain Clutch, indeed.

Kirk was 9-10 as well.
gougler08
AG
Kirk had 21 that game...he was the reason we won. Also, I swear that was a higher scoring game than 72-69, but I guess my memory just sucks
Know Your Enemy
AG
No disrespect to Kirk but it was Law hitting the FT's at the end of the game.
Nebules
AG
Quote:

This is kind of a wild theory and could be a little off-base, but I also think his style of play has given others guys more confidence.

Not off-base at all, and I was thinking the same thing watching the UNC game. Starks plays with a reckless abandon that can be an icebreaker and/or spark plug for the rest of the team.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Junkhead said:

Just checked it. He was 13-15 from the line in a 3 point win. Captain Clutch, indeed.

Kirk was 9-10 as well.

Yes, in that Louisville game Acie really didn't shoot particulary well. He was 6-14 shooting. But he made a killing at the FT line.
Method Man
You know this is the type of visual observation and insight that I love.
wacarnolds
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Junkhead said:

Kirk was 9-10 as well.

Yes, in that Louisville game Acie really didn't shoot particulary well. He was 6-14 shooting. But he made a killing at the FT line.
Acie's stat line looks a lot better because of the FTs, but they were about as clutch FTs as you could be asked to make
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.