ESPN First Take - 3/19

3,482 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Aston04
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
listening to these guys...they all are talking ags as the main low seed to find a way into the final four, because they are visually seeing us dominate. The same way we did early in the season. Talking about how the skill level has gone down in college basketball when mid seeds are making the final four. Clearly these talking heads don't do their homework. None have mentioned we were ranked as high as #5 before the Hogg debacle and follow on injuries. None them talk about our early season dominance with blowouts. None of them remember how many guys in our rotation won high school state championships. 4 of them were on the SEC championship team and sweet sixteen team. Our guys aren't going to be intimidated playing in big games or against the best teams. When you look at our roster and talent level, we can go pound for pound against almost anyone in the country.

Davis - 6A state title, top 100 recruit
Hogg - 6A state title, top 100recruit
Gilder - Two 3A state titles, 4A semi-final, top 100 recruit
Starks - Two 4A state titles
Williams - top 100 recruit
Flagg - top 100 recruit
Mayhaw Jelly
AG
Every single one of those players could return next season.
atm_grifter
There is no conceivable way that Williams returns. I wouldn't put it past Kennedy to tell him to pack his bags (for his own good).
LoadedDiaper
Better question is looking at who has nba talent and I may bias but I think the ags have 4. I don't see that many on other teams.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
I think both Williams and Davis are gone...Davis even if it's to the D league or Europe. Hogg is the interesting one. He definitely won't get drafted, but has he had enough of the college game to try to play pro somewhere. I just don't see much motivation from Hogg to be a pro level player. Gilder is definitely back I think.

So really next year could be:
Jasey - C
Hogg- PF
Flagg - SF
Gilder - SG
Starks - PG
Chandler - 6th man
We need more bigs...
mazag08
AG
You're just making stuff up. Why would Davis leave in a year where he isn't predicted to be taken in the first two rounds.. when he knows he can drop another 10 pounds and come back next year and be drafted in a slot with automatic money?

Get out of here.
TAM85
Yep, the only one I do not expect back is Williams.
PatAg
AG
And keep developing his 18 foot Tim Duncan special, and free throw %
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
mazag08 said:

You're just making stuff up. Why would Davis leave in a year where he isn't predicted to be taken in the first two rounds.. when he knows he can drop another 10 pounds and come back next year and be drafted in a slot with automatic money?

Get out of here.
It's actually not making stuff up, it's called an opinion. I do not think Davis can get incrementally better by staying in CS another year. He's the same player a few pounds lighter. He's had the same offensive game since he arrived here. The difference is experience and weight. He doesn't need to be in CS to lose weight. He can lose weight and make money together. Doesn't make sense to wait another year unless he wants his degree first. Davis could make plenty of coin outside the USA. I don't see Davis as an nba player, hence my D league comment. I think he's smart to go make money playing pro ball in Europe. He could be a mainstay over there on day one. He doesn't have the quicks or athleticism for the modern nba center.
GrayMatter
AG
A bunch of you predicted that Caruso wouldn't be an NBA player.

Whether it's the Caruso way or the traditional way, I think Davis certainly can make the NBA.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
zmurda
the first take guys are beyond worthless. they pretend to know about every sport, but Stephen A only knows a decent amount for NFL, nothing for CFB, a little boxing and a lot of NBA.

Max knows NY sports, some NFL and boxing and fakes his way through the rest.

Will Cain knows dick about any sports. He's a conservative, which is a nice counter to ESPN libs, but for sports, he just takes opposite takes to stir the pot with little to no substance.
SWAGBOT
AG
I'm sticking to the same take I've had all season. Rob is gone, but everyone else is back.

The main question mark is Hogg. He won't be drafted but could certainly go play professionally overseas. Hell, most of our guys could. However I don't think he will. Our tourney run is giving him exposure and setting him up nicely next year to try to have a big year. This could propel him to where he wants to be going into the league. He also comes from a well-off family, so money won't be the kicker for him.

Anything could happen but my money is on all current starters returning! (not rob)
PJYoung
AG
I think the tourney run will help getting guys back that might have been thinking they would go overseas next year.

Rob should be gone to the NBA for sure.

But you never know.
PatAg
AG
I figure it's too late for recruits this season, but this run might help with recruits for next? I dont even really get how basketball recruiting works.
Wizard
I think Williams, TD and Hogg leave
mhayden
mazag08 said:

Get out of here.

The A&M beat writer for the Chronicle literally wrote "It doesn't appear center Tyler Davis intends to stick around for his senior season".

Now, I think TD is probably back -- but it's silly to say that people that think Davis will be gone are "just making stuff up" unless you think BZ's comment was completely fabricated.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
atm_grifter said:

There is no conceivable way that Williams returns. I wouldn't put it past Kennedy to tell him to pack his bags (for his own good).
Not sure if this can be done in NCAA basketball.

Just have the university buy insurance policies for those that could leave for a pay-day. Like what's done in NCAA football.
mhayden
If insurance policies for lottery picks was that simple an answer then you'd have tons of NBA guys sticking around.

They are extremely expensive to cover what potential value you might lose, and even then they don't do a great job of covering the big payday -- getting to your first FA contract as soon as possible.
johnnyblaze36
AG
mazag08 said:

Get out of here.
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
AggieBaller98 said:

A bunch of you predicted that Caruso wouldn't be an NBA player.

Whether it's the Caruso way or the traditional way, I think Davis certainly can make the NBA.
Im too lazy to look it up. Did Caruso actually get an nba contract or is he still on a two-way? I assume his limit of nba games on the two way has maxed out?
Bachelor99
AG
if we lose in the sweet 16 or elite 8, I could possibly see everyone return with the chance for a final 4 run and possible natty in 2019!
Aston04
AG
Bachelor99 said:

if we lose in the sweet 16 or elite 8, I could possibly see everyone return with the chance for a final 4 run and possible natty in 2019!
objectively- we will prob be worse next year. Even if we are better, a lot of high ranked teams don't even make the sweet 16. Our best shot is now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.