Strategies after scoring & taking the ball out with big leads?

1,340 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 8T2
Isaih Smollett
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Some interesting things I noticed that I've not seen so exaggerated before.

VA vs UMBC:
Almost every time VA scored in the final 15 mins of the game, they pressed full court. After VA scored, Kyle Guy caught the ball through the basket, made sure all his team was set, then handed the ball to the UMBC player taking it out

TAMU in both games (especially Hogg)
We were very good and taking our sweet time retrieving the ball after Providence and UNC scored. The clock keeps running in those situations unless the game clock is under 1:00? each half. Sometimes we'd waste 10 seconds just getting the ball
wacarnolds
AG
Good eye. I thought we were being pretty deliberate at different times, especially Hogg as you noted (insert 420 joke)

There was an article, maybe from kenpom, advocating underdogs attempt to kill 2-3 extra seconds every possession by slow playing the inbounds
wacarnolds
AG
Here it is https://kenpom.com/blog/all-16-seeds-should-learn-from-ty-lawson/
Not_Sure
AG
UMBC killed 3-4 seconds after every made UVA basket, until UVA started pressing. They would take their time getting the ball, then just drop it on the floor and the PG would wait a couple seconds before retrieving it. Shot clock wouldn't start until he touched it, but game clock was running the whole time. You usually see the when a team is trying to catch up in the final minute when the game clock stops after a made basket, but first time I remember seeing it as a time killer.
GCP12
AG
Hogg can get a lazy and complacent at times, but he has great basketball IQ. When UNC was pressing, Hogg was key in beating it and was never rushed.
Seven Costanza
AG
machine20 said:

Some interesting things I noticed that I've not seen so exaggerated before.

VA vs UMBC:
Almost every time VA scored in the final 15 mins of the game, they pressed full court. After VA scored, Kyle Guy caught the ball through the basket, made sure all his team was set, then handed the ball to the UMBC player taking it out
If anyone wants to watch, this video shows every made basket in the second half. The final 15 minutes starts at the 4:00 mark.

who?mikejones
AG
Seems a very concacafy tactic.
mazzag
AG
Watching the replay. It's hard to notice because the TV camera usually shows the defense setting up after a shot made, but at the 9:45 minute of the game Virginia makes a goal. The camera focuses a bit on the inbound, back to the defense then back to UMBC. 6 seconds came off the game clock before the shot clock started. Wow! Even the UMBC kid that inbounds the ball slaps away Lyles' hand because he was picking the ball up to quickly. This is amazing.
mazzag
AG
who?mikejones said:

Seems a very concacafy tactic.

Seems it's no excuse Virginia missed shots and didn't defend.
mazzag
AG
Did it again at 8:01. Game clock starts at 7:56.
bobinator
AG
We also had a little gamesmanship when we'd score to make sure UNC couldn't inbound it right away. I noticed a couple of times we'd either slap the ball or 'happen to' kick it.
8T2
Sounds like a subtle but effective bit of coaching.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.