MGoBlog: Texas A&M: Large Men And Dollar Store Rob Gray

4,916 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wacarnolds
wacarnolds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bobinator said:

I guess the thing I disagree with is that there hasn't been a recent trend upward in his play.

I think there absolutely has been.
Here is his offensive rating for every game he played 10+ minutes. The break is the pre/post-Duane getting shut down for the season.

Like the article pointed out, the Vanderbilt game is somewhat of an anomaly. Beyond that, looking at the stats, there isn't a clear sign of improvement.
BaytownAg13
AG
The last three games (the SEC and NCAA tournament) have been consistently average to above average though. I'd say that means something. Hopefully that he's turned a corner and there will be less below average performances from him going forward.
bobinator
AG
wacarnolds said:

Beyond that, looking at the stats, there isn't a clear sign of improvement.

Right, that's my entire point. I see a guy who is improving, even if the numbers don't show it. I think he had a horrid game against Alabama where he let Sexton get into his head, but I think he's learned from that also.

That was the point I'm trying to get at, where I feel like he is improving even though it's hard to pinpoint a state to prove it.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
His teammates seem to have more confidence in him and trust him more....so there's that stat
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

wacarnolds said:

That was the point I'm trying to get at, where I feel like he is improving even though it's hard to pinpoint a state to prove it.
His stats in the two NCAA Tourney games that I posted above are not showing trending improvement?

36 points, 13 assists, 11 turnovers, 12-27 FGM-FGA (just happened to be the exact same FGM-FGA as Acie Law had in his first two tourney games in 2007).

We got 18 ppg and 6.5 apg from our starting PG who is a freshman. Other than maybe a couple less turnovers and 1 or 2 less quick threes per game, what more were posters dreaming for from Starks against quality opponents like Providence and North Carolina in a high stakes tournament setting? A 45-point 20 assist game? He was pretty good!
JJxvi
AG
IMO, the main thing he needs to improve at (other than mental game situation type stuff) is to draw more fouls in transition and going to the basket. Getting extra foul shots instead of missing of a tough shot or turning it over would be a major change to those efficiency numbers, as would increasing that free throw percentage as well. I think the high turnover count is the biggest influence in anybody thinking hes not on an upward trend.
wacarnolds
AG
Quote:

I think the high turnover count is the biggest influence in anybody thinking hes not on an upward trend.
That's the biggest thing holding his efficiency stats back. Turning the ball over ~20% of the time kills you when combined with sub-50% shooting.
wacarnolds
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

bobinator said:

wacarnolds said:

His stats in the two NCAA Tourney games that I posted above are not showing trending improvement?
From an efficiency standpoint, his last 2 games have still been subpar. But a player can have a great game while not being overly efficient on a per-possession basis, and the individual efficiency measure doesn't matter when determining who gets to play in the next round, so we're all good there.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.