team should just prep for UNC

4,249 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by mhc06
EliteZags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

hear me out on this.. we're one of few teams reasonably favored in game 1 that knows with near certainty who we get round 2, if we spend all week focused on Providence and get the w but then go quietly to Goliath as expected 2 days later no one will care that we won a game we were supposed to
rather just hack it game 1 and rely on our talent to carry us while going all in to give us any tactical advantage possible with the extra preparation to go out and do something big
if we get bounced off the bat we weren't going anywhere anyways
RG20
WAT?
DeangeloVickers
AG
Drugs are bad mmkay
expresswrittenconsent
STUPID
old yeller
EliteZags
AG
night before the state championship are you in the gym shooting free throws or studying for the PE quiz you have the same day
Indignitas
AG
My HS coach took me out of a game and I told him afterwards that he felt like he had mismanaged the situation. Later in the locker room I rallied some players to my cause. Then we rode around town and threw plastic silverware in peoples' yards.
EliteZags
AG
look imagine if someone offers to give you either a boat or a mystery box, you take the mystery box. I mean the boat's a boat, but the mystery box could be anything, it could even be a Boat
GE
AG
It is a weird situation in that you have a lot of prep time before providence but none between providence and UNC. Providence is not a pushover though. With an entire five days maybe you can devote a litte time early in the week just getting familiar with UNC, but focus should be on what's immediately ahead.

A pretty good definition of completely wasted time would be to focus completely on UNC all week and then lose to Providence in the first round due to lack of preparation.
swc93
AG
If this team was a well oiled machine that BK could just make adjustments here and there; then I could see OP's point. But they are not.

Work on FT's.
Work on perimeter D.

Pray we can magically show up as the #5 team in the country.
old ag 2003
AG
EliteZags said:

rather just hack it game 1 and rely on our talent to carry us
FYI this IS our gameplan....every game...
Jake421
No game in the NCAA Tournament is a given. Some metrics might favor us, but Providence is a good team. You can't overlook anyone.
Tobias Funke
AG
The deeper question within your idea is "do we really care at all if we beat providence and then get blown out in the second round?" Or is this season only a success if we make it to the Sweet 16?

If it's the latter, then there is some merit to what you're saying.
LatinAggie1997
AG
Why aren't we capable of preparing for both? We have a coach that's been here for a while and knows the roster. We have a team that has played a tough SOS.

A combo of scouting reports and fundamentals.
Double Diamond
Yea you don't prep for Providence you aren't moving on. I don't see Kennedy being effective looking past a team.
hoya-ag
AG
Pretty sure someone is and has been preparing for UNC.
Double Diamond
GE has said he will call for a firing without a sweet sixteen run. And I won't allow a change in this. Goal post moving has run afoul with to many of Billy's backers.
JJxvi
AG
I don't know why you guys have so little faith in Lipscomb
PatriotAg02
AG
EliteZags said:

hear me out on this.. we're one of few teams reasonably favored in game 1 that knows with near certainty who we get round 2, if we spend all week focused on Providence and get the w but then go quietly to Goliath as expected 2 days later no one will care that we won a game we were supposed to
rather just hack it game 1 and rely on our talent to carry us while going all in to give us any tactical advantage possible with the extra preparation to go out and do something big
if we get bounced off the bat we weren't going anywhere anyways

And that right there folks is the death knell. Good job fella.
Captain Pablo
AG
Double Diamond said:

GE has said he will call for a firing without a sweet sixteen run. And I won't allow a change in this. Goal post moving has run afoul with to many of Billy's backers.
It's been rampant over the last several years
Deputy Travis Junior
EliteZags said:

look imagine if someone offers to give you either a boat or a mystery box, you take the mystery box. I mean the boat's a boat, but the mystery box could be anything, it could even be a Boat

Ah, back when family guy was actually funny
expresswrittenconsent
GE said:

It is a weird situation in that you have a lot of prep time before providence but none between providence and UNC. Providence is not a pushover though. With an entire five days maybe you can devote a litte time early in the week just getting familiar with UNC, but focus should be on what's immediately ahead.

A weird situation? No, it's the same situation every year going back decades. It's not weird in the least. Plus, it is a situation that virtually every high major team faces at least once or twice per season during conference play (2 games per week, one with 3+ days rest and then a game with 1 day rest).
bobinator
AG
I do actually think the quick turnaround gives us a little bit of an advantage because UNC won't have much time to practice their rotations on Tyler Davis. It's a slight advantage, but it's something. I think the quick turnaround benefits teams who have players with rare skill sets, it's also kind of why I think if OU wins today they could be a handful for Duke.

It's one thing to defend Trae Young when you've already played OU once or you've got a few days to practice, it's another to have to figure it out on the fly.
SquirrellyDan
AG
I'm in the "i'd be surprised if we beat Providence" crowd. They looked pretty stout in the Big East championship game and I think they're very well coached.
bobinator
AG
I think if we played Providence in a best of 7 series we'd win in 5 or 6 games because I think we're an absolutely horrible matchup for them, but in just one game basically no outcome would be surprising.
zooguy96
We could win by 20 or lose by 20 with our talent and this coach.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
EXCELL
There is no guarantee this team with this coach could get past HookedOnPhonics Jr High in Round 1.
bobinator
AG
Everyone knows that we haven't lost to anyone ranked outside the top 70 or so all year right? Like literally everyone we lost to is either in the tournament or in the NIT.
Faustus
You know NC hasn't been counting on providence, so they've been preparing for A&M.
swc93
AG
JJxvi said:

I don't know why you guys have so little faith in Lipscomb
Filling out the brackets for the family; each of them gave me an odd look when I said UNC or Lip-scum.
Sandman23
AG
bobinator said:

Everyone knows that we haven't lost to anyone ranked outside the top 70 or so all year right? Like literally everyone we lost to is either in the tournament or in the NIT.
FAKE NEWS!!!!

(is that how this saying works? I don't have much practice)
------- Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2007
Double Diamond
And people are about to be held accountable. Too many moving the goal post out of their strong desire to keep moving forward.
ClassOf17
This kind of comment cost us a baseball game against ITA on Tuesday
EliteZags
AG
think my suggestions was heeded
zooguy96
Except that we barely beat Providence.

Easy to pat yourself on the back. Hindsight is 20/20.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.