Penny Hardaway

18,507 Views | 145 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Double Diamond
LawHall88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Legit hire or Clyde Drexler, Part 2?

wacarnolds
AG
LawHall88 said:

Legit hire or Clyde Drexler, Part 2?

Clyde seemed like a weird fit for college basketball in multiple respects, don't think Penny would suffer from that. Seems to be the rage lately, hiring high profile alumni to coach your school Chris Mullin, Patrick Ewing, now potentially Penny. Not sure if such a high profile job is the right way to get into coaching but it would be cool to see him succeed.

A cool story from Penny's wiki

Quote:

In 2011, Hardaway took over for his friend Desmond Merriweather as a coach for his middle school alma mater, Lester Middle School, while Merriweather was undergoing treatment for colon cancer. With a goal to have each of his players graduate from college, Hardaway instituted a mandatory tutorial program. He coached the Lester Lions to the West Tennessee State title 58-57, finishing 28-3 for the season.
Bunk Moreland
I'd take Penny with LB on the bench in a heartbeat.

But only if Lil Penny comes with him
Double Diamond
Unlike Clyde has coached. Yes it's AAU. Would shutdown one of the best recruiting grounds.
bobinator
AG
I wouldn't like handing my program over to someone with no experience, and bringing Larry Brown on seems like a recruiting violation waiting to happen, but whatever, it's Memphis, go nuts.
Double Diamond
I wouldn't do it either. But I wouldn't have hired Tubby Smith. Memphis basketball when it's good it taps into that town for big time talent. At some point Penny is gonna get the job.
_lefraud_
AG
Is he still a stakeholder for the Grizz? I would think that could be a problem.

I say go for it, feel bad for Tubby, but Memphis hasn't been relevant in almost a decade, desperate times call for desperate measures.
Harry Dunne
Bunk Moreland said:

I'd take Penny with LB on the bench in a heartbeat.

But only if Lil Penny comes with him

THT WAS TYRA BANKS, FOOOOOL!
Double Diamond
Memphis hasn't been relevant in a decade? Pastner actually did ok there. Was in the tourney four out of seven years with an NIT mixed in.
Double Diamond
Go look at Memphis past. It's good but hardly great. It even took Calipari a while to get going. 4/7 years in the tourney is good at Memphis. They however think they are a blueblood having gotten spoiled by Caliparis last few years.
Tobias Funke
AG
I have inside knowledge that this has been in the works for several years. Still think it's an odd move though
Bunk Moreland
Tobias Funke said:

I have inside knowledge that this has been in the works for several years. Still think it's an odd move though

Yeah I think it almost happened when Pastner left but some Memphis brass put the stops on it at the time. Looks like they're going to go forward now.
_lefraud_
AG
I'm not sure two ncaa tournament wins in the last decade is "relevant" . Pastner was a 12, 8, 6 and 8 seed. He was handed a sports car, and turned that program into an Oldsmobile.
Richierich2323
He will get the talent and if you have the talent then the coaching part is easy. I think it's a great hire for Memphis.

If it does t work out, you have the athletes and can get an X's and O's guy.
_lefraud_
AG
Uhhh Pastner had 3 top 10 classes at Memphis, including 2 top 3 classes. He had talent, but couldn't seem to do much with it. So they hired Tubby Smith, and the talent left...
Double Diamond
That's just not true. Go look at the history of Memphis basketball. When Gary Parrish who grew up a Memphis fan says people have a really bad idea on Memphis Tigers basketball history. Pastners run was a good one prior to the last few years of Caliparis time. Which gives people this idea that Memphis Tigers basketball is a powerhouse with a long history of tourney success.
Richierich2323
They lost the players because Tubby basically ran them off. He was a horrible hire. Memphis needed a younger and more energetic coach not a guy close to retirement that didn't want to play the AAU circuit.
WGann3
AG
Team should be required to wear these if hired.

_lefraud_
AG
Richierich2323 said:

They lost the players because Tubby basically ran them off. He was a horrible hire. Memphis needed a younger and more energetic coach not a guy close to retirement that didn't want to play the AAU circuit.

A guy like Pastner?
Method Man
Billy?
Faustus
bobinator said:

I wouldn't like handing my program over to someone with no experience, and bringing Larry Brown on seems like a recruiting violation waiting to happen, but whatever, it's Memphis, go nuts.
I just generally assume that Memphis won't hire someone that doesn't cheat unless they're desperate. Otherwise you're UNLV reminiscing about Tark.

People think that Calipari started the infamous tradition at Memphis, but Dana Kirk was a hugely successful coach at Memphis in the 80s who went dancing 7 times, reached a final four, and after a criminal investigation and many NCAA violations was forced out, with Memphis forfeiting all games between '82-86. Vandy wishes they had a Kirk period.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memphis_Tigers_men%27s_basketball#1970s

Pastner was a cut rate Calipari (who also had a second Memphis Final Four vacated for cheating) or Kirk, but couldn't even get to a Final Four through cheating and then have it vacated.

Brown probably could pull it off. Still hopefully Penny continues the proud tradition, and maybe mitigates costs more than Pastner whose best feature was how he paid AAU kids at Arizona. Admittedly he seemed like the most obvious inheritor of Memphis' tradition at the time of his hire.

Pumpkinhead
AG
Wow, Larry Brown is close to 80 years old.
ontheway
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Wow, Larry Brown is close to 80 years old.
Easy on the 80's smack PH. I'm in 80's and can still dress myself and go to the mailbox and back without a cane or chair. But, unfortunately, I can't knock the bottom out of it anymore.
ontheway
Richierich2323
Can Pastner coach? No, someone that was an X's and O's guy but was willing to do what was necessary to keep recruits.

Have you followed why Tubby lost all his top rated players? If not google is your friend. Time to educate yourself on how he demoted a coach brought in by pastner and lost his players.
Double Diamond
I think the Memphis final four taken away over Rose is such a big reason why the NCAA is a joke. The NCAA cleared Rose, told Memphis you can play him. Memphis plays Rose. The NCAA says wait, we need Rose to take the SAT again. I mean what the heck is this.
_lefraud_
AG
Richierich2323 said:

Can Pastner coach? No, someone that was an X's and O's guy but was willing to do what was necessary to keep recruits.

Have you followed why Tubby lost all his top rated players? If not google is your friend. Time to educate yourself on how he demoted a coach brought in by pastner and lost his players.

Yes, I'm aware that Tubby didn't want to be in a vulnerable position by having multiple players dad as an assistant coach. We've seen first hand at A&M how much of a disaster that can be. So kudos to Tubby for not wanting to put himself and that program in that situation.

He probably wasn't the guy for the job, as Memphis has shown they'll take shady coach after shady coach for ANY success. Tubby isn't and will never be that guy.

But Tubby is a hall of fame coach that has taken Tulsa, Georgia, Kentucky, Minnesota and Texas Tech all to the dance within his first 3 years. So yea, I'm going to side with Tubby in that I think he knows how to run a program. Unfortunately, Memphis wasn't the place for him.
LawHall88
AG
Another coaching rumor. I'd be shocked if it happens.
bobinator
AG
I dunno, she's an alum... if anyone was ever going to do it...
Mike Elko
AG
Serious question: How many above average players would play for a female coach at the college level? Not that CSU's a juggernaut, but I hope she's hired to find out.
bobinator
AG
I think it's definitely a question worth asking because she's going to face A LOT of nasty stuff on the recruiting trail if she takes that job.

I hope it happens though, would be interesting to see.
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

I think it's definitely a question worth asking because she's going to face A LOT of nasty stuff on the recruiting trail if she takes that job.

I hope it happens though, would be interesting to see.
Man or woman, if you are having success as a coach in the NBA, seems like you'd think very carefully before jumping into in the college recruiting game cesspool. Dealing with the recruiting B.S. seemed to be what burned out a guy like Billy Donovan.
GrayMatter
AG
I've followed Becky throughout her career and I don't know if that would be a good job for her. She's ready for it, but I don't know if the NCAA D1 is ready for her. She's always been a trailblazer and it wouldn't surprise me if she took it. If there was anyone who could pull it off, my money would be on her.

However... she's currently under the tutelage of one of the best basketball minds ever in Poppovich. It would be hard for anyone to take any job while she's still an assistant with the Spurs.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
Harry Dunne
It's a hard idea for me to get used to, but I don't see anything wrong with it if she is the best candidate for that job, or any other.

I don't like anyone getting a job just to fill a quota (gender, race or any other), but you've just got to do that "A Time to Kill" closing argument where he lays it out for you and then says, "Now imagine she's white".

• A CSU Hall of Fame alum
  • With a successful pro playing career
  • Who is a highly-regarded assistant for one of the most successful NBA franchises
  • Who has recently been interviewed for an NBA GM position
  • Who is 40 years old
  • and will probably come relatively cheap

Now Imagine she's a dude.
bobinator
AG
The only question that really matters on if she's a good candidate is whether high school players would be willing to play for a female coach. If so, then she's as good a candidate for that job as anyone.
Harry Dunne
That's true. Not much precedent for the first school that takes a chance.

A lot of recruits were raised by single moms and a lot of recruits are snowflakes and might be able to relate to her better than to a guy like Eustachy that Motherf-s them up and down the floor. I don't know much about her but I'm assuming she's pretty tough. Still though, might be easier to take it from someone else who has overcome some challenges than by some old white drunk who has been making 7 figures since the 90s.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.