Drew's in-game comments say all you need to know about our coaching

7,598 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Deputy Travis Junior
Isaih Smollett
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They had Bryce Drew wired during the game.

On our offense, in particular our lack of ball movement:

"They're just beating us 1-on-1"

On his offense:

"We're getting any shot we want, layups and wide open 3s. We just need to play defense."

I think that sums it up well. Our halfcourt offense is garbage when we slow it down. Passing it around the 3 point line to TD and RW is just awful. Then we rely on somebody taking it upon himself to go 1-on-1. That's why we give up big leads.

On defense, the wide open 3s have been a BK special since he got here, especially to good shooters like LaChance. Somehow we always lose track of them and are late to close out.
gougler08
AG
The BK defense for the 3pt Line is "hope they miss"
Aston04
AG
Mentioned the 1 on 1 thing in the game thread. Bks only hope is to out talent/hit shots that night. Schematically, we rarely, if ever, have an edge.

Credit should be given for for the guys he brought here somehow though. We could just have been scary good with the right man coaching them. And the future is bleak considering we wont out talent people next year (if Davis leaves- max 5 conf wins imo)
Hop
Staff
AG
It doesn't matter what Drew said. It was going to be spun as Kennedy being an idiot. He's trying to motivate his team in a huddle. That's all. A&M just won on the road at a place where the home team wins at home a lot. That doesn't change the long-term situation...I know. I was just hoping that a win would at least slow down the endless barrage of "did you see how much of a moron Kennedy is" posts for at least a couple of days. Obviously, I was mistaken.
BanderaAg956
gougler08 said:

The BK defense for the 3pt Line is "hope they miss"
actually it is called stand around and hope they miss
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
Halconblack
AG
Hop said:

It doesn't matter what Drew said. It was going to be spun as Kennedy being an idiot. He's trying to motivate his team in a huddle. That's all. A&M just won on the road at a place where the home team wins at home a lot. That doesn't change the long-term situation...I know. I was just hoping that a win would at least slow down the endless barrage of "did you see how much of a moron Kennedy is" posts for at least a couple of days. Obviously, I was mistaken.
I don't post on the Basketball forums much, but seriously? The guy has taken us to the tournament once since 2011. That means, he has had us in the top 40 basketball teams in the country once since 2011. He may be a nice guy, but he has no business coaching in a Power 5 conference. He is getting paid a lot of money to provide a good product. If he fails to provide a decent product, which he has, then Aggies everywhere have every right to ride him out of town on a rail.
PJYoung
AG
Aggie fans are such a beat down.

I want him fired too but put it aside after big wins. Good grief.
cevans_40
AG
PJYoung said:

Yep. When you best a powerhouse like Vandy, that should shut down any negative talk concerning your coach.
PJYoung
AG
cevans_40 said:

PJYoung said:

Yep. When you best a powerhouse like Vandy, that should shut down any negative talk concerning your coach.

It's just exhausting. Everybody agrees he sucks. I don't see the point in bashing him after a big road win that keeps our tourney hopes alive.

You have plenty of chances to bash him after horrible losses.
Halconblack
AG
I am no more a beat down than:
58-62 Mizzou
75-94 Arky
81-93 MSU
Amarillo Slim
AG
Yeah probably have much better chance of passing the stone than a break in " kenndy sucks threads". At least there is real hope for one of those things.
"Real happiness comes not from getting what we desire; but celebrating what we have."
Mikeyshooter
AG
I actually thought the defensive game plan was fairly solid. Vandy had 60 pts with less than 4 min lefties then scored a bunch of pts late by extending the game.
Deputy Travis Junior
Quote:

I want him fired too but put it aside after big wins. Good grief
Here I go being cynical, but it's only a big win because of the depth of the hole we dug. Vanderbilt is 11-18 overall and 5-11 in conference. Now I know they aren't bad for being the worst team in the conference, but they're still the worst team in the conference; they aren't even on the NIT bubble.

The good is that we avoided a season-ending loss, not that we scored a big win.
PJYoung
AG
cevans_40 said:

PJYoung said:

cevans_40 said:

PJYoung said:

It's just exhausting. Everybody agrees he sucks. I don't see the point in bashing him after a big road win that keeps our tourney hopes alive.

Holy ****, it's not a big win when you beat the team that is DFL in the conference. For Chirst sakes, they are 11-18.

They had won 5 straight at home, when was the last time A&M won there.

And you talk as if you haven't watched this A&M team play in the new year. This was a BIG win for us.

Somehow I'm guessing you weren't expecting today's game to go quite so well but now youre acting like it's a ho hum victory. What was this? Our second conference road win of the season?

Our backs were against the wall, ALMOST a must win situation needing to get to 8-10.

BIG win!
cevans_40
AG
PJYoung said:

cevans_40 said:

PJYoung said:

cevans_40 said:

PJYoung said:

Holy ****, it's not a big win when you beat the team that is DFL in the conference. For Chirst sakes, they are 11-18.

They had won 5 straight at home, when was the last time A&M won there.

And you talk as if you haven't watched this A&M team play in the new year. This was a BIG win for us.

Somehow I'm guessing you weren't expecting today's game to go quite so well but townhouse acting like it's a no him game. What was this? Our second conference road win of the season?

Our backs were against the wall, ALMOST a must win situation needing to get to 8-10.

BIG win!

Huge win. Will go a long way towards our tournament seed. I am sure John Wooden err Billy Kennedy will coach em up the rest of the way.

I don't ever root against our team and I had this game as close to an automatic win as there can be. You will not find a post stating otherwise. I just choose not to be so oblivious to the state of the program and the level of suck that is BK.
PJYoung
AG
I have no idea how stating this was a big win for our team is being oblivious.

Very odd take to go after our coach after a win.

This was a toss up game in Vegas.

It's great to be anti BK and very understandable but when that stance makes you angry after important wins maybe it's time to step away.
cevans_40
AG
PJYoung said:

I have no idea how stating this was a big win for our team is being oblivious.

Very odd take to go after our coach after a win.

This was a toss up game in Vegas.

It's great to be anti BK and very understandable but when that stance makes you angry after important wins maybe it's time to step away.

It was only a toss up because our coach is so bad that even with a huge talent gap, it's very possible we could lose. If you think beating the last place team in the conference is a big win, I am done discussing things because you have proven reason is not going to be part of the equation.
PJYoung
AG
Lol it's a big win for THIS team at THIS time.

You act like we've just been rolling all season.
sincereag
Vandy has beaten Florida, Miss St, Georgia, Alabama and TCU on their home court this year. Nice road win by the Aggies today.
gordo97
AG
What a bunch of miserable bastids on this thread
pantherag
AG
Hop said:

Hop you have a very personal attachment to Kennedy for some reason. Is it hypocritical the way you want to protect Kennedy, yet you never had the same approach or cover for Sumlin? You even allowed your posters on your board to go after Sumlin unmercifully on your board and never did a thing to stop it or provide a counter point like you do for Kennedy. Liucci was close to Sumlin for years and I have never seen him run cover for Sumlin as you do for Kennedy. I assumed the Texag employees treated all the coach's the same?
t - cam
AG
machine20 said:

They had Bryce Drew wired during the game.

On our offense, in particular our lack of ball movement:

"They're just beating us 1-on-1"

On his offense:

"We're getting any shot we want, layups and wide open 3s. We just need to play defense."

I think that sums it up well. Our halfcourt offense is garbage when we slow it down. Passing it around the 3 point line to TD and RW is just awful. Then we rely on somebody taking it upon himself to go 1-on-1. That's why we give up big leads.

On defense, the wide open 3s have been a BK special since he got here, especially to good shooters like LaChance. Somehow we always lose track of them and are late to close out.

He said that yes, it wasn't right though. Bill is a bad coach but this team performed with direction today.
sincereag
Wrong...Hop has recently taken a serious stance against the direction of our basketball program in particular the dried up pipeline in recruiting. His loyalty is to A&M and its athletics and he doesn't look for any reason just to bash the head coach. Just my honest opinion after reading most of his posts.
t - cam
AG
pantherag said:

Hop said:

Hop you have a very personal attachment to Kennedy for some reason. Is it hypocritical the way you want to protect Kennedy, yet you never had the same approach or cover for Sumlin? You even allowed your posters on your board to go after Sumlin unmercifully on your board and never did a thing to stop it or provide a counter point like you do for Kennedy. Liucci was close to Sumlin for years and I have never seen him run cover for Sumlin as you do for Kennedy. I assumed the Texag employees treated all the coach's the same?

I don't usually take hops side but all he is doing here is pointing out lies.
gordo97
AG
Has anyone pointed out that Bryce Drew sucks as a coach? I can't believe rockets drafted that doofoos..... actually I can't believe that dude played in the NBA
Aston04
AG
He's learning on the job and already killing it in recruiting. He'll workout fine.
pantherag
AG
sincereag said:

Wrong...Hop has recently taken a serious stance against the direction of our basketball program in particular the dried up pipeline in recruiting. His loyalty is to A&M and its athletics and he doesn't look for any reason just to bash the head coach. Just my honest opinion after reading most of his posts.

Look at the bigger picture of the question and not this one post by Hop in a capsule. Much truth in my post.
sincereag
Maybe some of us just want to enjoy an Aggie win rather than find some reason to bash the coach. Hop isn't protecting BK from what I can tell after reading some of his recent posts.
cedar
Wow monster win. Lol. Kennedy is terrible. Period.
sincereag
Actually you're right...it is a monster win if you want to see this this team in the NCAA tournament.
jml2621
Hop said:

He's still only a 47% winner in conference. That's not going to change. Ever.
Hop
Staff
AG
Halconblack said:

Hop said:

I don't post on the Basketball forums much, but seriously? The guy has taken us to the tournament once since 2011. That means, he has had us in the top 40 basketball teams in the country once since 2011. He may be a nice guy, but he has no business coaching in a Power 5 conference. He is getting paid a lot of money to provide a good product. If he fails to provide a decent product, which he has, then Aggies everywhere have every right to ride him out of town on a rail.
You clearly didn't understand what I posted.
Hop
Staff
AG
It's not that complicated. Just because you take the position that Kennedy is not the long-term solution for this program doesn't mean you can't acknowledge a nice win under the circumstances of it being a must win on the road in the SEC. Nobody is suggesting that Kennedy proved anything today as a coach going forward. But can't people just be happy for one day that the team won an SEC road game with their backs against the wall?

Obviously, for some posters here, that answer is no.
Hop
Staff
AG
jml2621 said:

Hop said:

He's still only a 47% winner in conference. That's not going to change. Ever.

So a father has a son that isn't very smart and struggles to get by in school. In fact, he drops out of high school and doesn't live up to dad's dream of going to college. One day the son comes home and says he passed the vocational welding course at the junior college. I guess if you were the father, you'd tell him, "so what, your dumb ass still didn't go to college. That will never change. Ever."

I'm capable of both understanding the long-term issues with Kennedy going forward while also being happy for the players and team for winning on the road today and keeping their NCAA hopes alive. After all, I am an A&M fan...meaning I root for the Aggies. It's sad that some of you are so miserable you can't separate the condition of the program and a game result.
Hop
Staff
AG
pantherag said:

Hop said:

You continue saying this, and you continue to be clueless as to my position that has been clearly stated on these boards in recent months.

And no, that's ridiculous to think that all TexAgs employees think alike. Everybody has their own personal opinion on things from a wide range of sports. Sumlin stayed around way too long after the university gave him an insane extension and buyout. Very similar to Kennedy who will stay too long because of his insane extension and buyout that was given by the AD.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.