A&M vs Vandy Haslametrics (NCAA Analytics) & thoughts

866 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by John Pugliese
John Pugliese
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You can look at both team pages from haslametrics.com, great source of information and stats vs "AO" (Average Opponent), which is an awesome metric to use. This this type of material is really well put together for people to understand how this game will be played and what you can see in stats.

Vandy Team Analytics

A&M Team Analytics

My take is a little different as I think this comes down to energy and passion on the defensive end. I'd love to see a team that is locked in on the defensive end but more important, just plays hard. I think Duane Wilson brought a bit of a fiery personality and was able to set the table as a pass first point guard, this team misses him for those reasons. Admon it looks like to me, is still struggling with his knee injury, I'm hopeful to see a better Gilder to finish the regular season.

As I mentioned on air this morning, TJ Starks is a scoring point guard, so on any shot that Starks takes, I'm going to send Admon back as well as Hogg in a long rebound (1/2) guy. Starks will then be back after he lands and finishes his shot attempt. This will allow you to set your defense as a team from the inside (basket) out. If Starks isn't the shooter, Gilder and Starks should both be back, together.

Advantage inside for the Aggies but obviously, if guys aren't hitting shots from the perimeter then there isn't going to be a ton of space to work for Tyler and Rob. I loved Olin, on air, betting on Hogg to hit a few 3's tomorrow...this will help give room to the bigs to work their advantage.

Tough place to win for a lot of reasons and Vandy is 5-2 at home in the league. I'll be interested to see the rotation as there are guys who are playing minutes that they don't necessarily need to, see if that changes after the 3-game skid.
-John Pugliese
@johnpugliese
Sin City Resident
GrayMatter
AG
Quote:

Admon it looks like to me, is still struggling with his knee injury, I'm hopeful to see a better Gilder to finish the regular season.
Coach BK alluded to Admon saying that he had to rest yesterday due to swelling in his knee. He's looking better lately, but you can tell that he's not there yet. On the offensive end, he's hesitant to attack the rim and on defense, it seems like guys can get around him at certain times. He's our rock in terms of perimeter defense so if he's not at 100% the concern is that Vandy is going to exploit that by driving and kicking out for 3 point shots. It happened against Miss St and I think that gave them confidence and made us scramble more than we'd like to.

Quote:

I'll be interested to see the rotation as there are guys who are playing minutes that they don't necessarily need to, see if that changes after the 3-game skid.
I don't think it's a coincidence that the last game we won was also Duane Wilson's last game. He brought mental toughness and experience that this team lacks. I'm more interested in seeing the energy and seeing who is going to fill Wilson's role. I'm really hoping that Hogg makes more than one three point shot because he's a completely different player when he's locked in and making shots. And it makes us a different team as well.

Also, we've missed 12 free throws in the past two games; that's way too many. If we can just continue to attack the basket and make our free throws, at the very least we should be in the ball game.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
John Pugliese
AggieBaller98 said:

Quote:

Admon it looks like to me, is still struggling with his knee injury, I'm hopeful to see a better Gilder to finish the regular season.
Coach BK alluded to Admon saying that he had to rest yesterday due to swelling in his knee. He's looking better lately, but you can tell that he's not there yet. On the offensive end, he's hesitant to attack the rim and on defense, it seems like guys can get around him at certain times. He's our rock in terms of perimeter defense so if he's not at 100% the concern is that Vandy is going to exploit that by driving and kicking out for 3 point shots. It happened against Miss St and I think that gave them confidence and made us scramble more than we'd like to.

I'm very hopeful that Admon regains a little bit of explosiveness, but it's been obvious with him going to the rim that he isn't 100%. He hasn't been able to get much lift, which in my opinion, has also effected his jump shot. His ability on the defensive end is as much about him being smarter than most defenders than anything he has done physically. LaChance has the ability to get hot quickly and Saben Lee is one of the better freshman you might not know of. Backcourt matchup is probably the biggest component to this game, besides the Aggies shooting it well from the perimeter.
-John Pugliese
@johnpugliese
Sin City Resident
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.