The college basketball bombshell is released

9,928 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GrayMatter
DeangeloVickers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Know Your Enemy
AG
And here we go.
DeangeloVickers
AG
A quick scan and I don't see anything on us

But we are Adidas
We did have Stansbury
And Mitchell Robinson is listed (he signed with WKU and never played)

Pretty awesome to not see us at this point
Aggie_Eric98
AG
None for us but 2 for tu. Eric Davis and Prince Ibeh?
Pumpkinhead
AG
Copy of the 'Loan to Players' balance sheet.

Let's see:

Dennis Smith (NC State) got $43,500. Jarell Martin (LSU) got $52,472. Nerlens Noel (Kentucky) got $4,350, Elijah Johnson (Kansas) got $15,020....

Morpholino
AG
This is only for players associated with ASM Sports? Do we know if other agencies were investigated?
jeffdjohnson
So Texas A&M still has a chance at the national championship after all other teams are ruled ineligible? Kennedy really was playing chess this whole time.
Olsen
AG
Quote:

Schools identified by Yahoo! as possibly violating NCAA rules include Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Michigan State, USC and Kansas. At least 25 players are linked to impermissible benefits, including Michigan State's Miles Bridges, Alabama's Collin Sexton and Duke's Wendell Carter.

Other teams with current or former players who allegedly received payments were South Carolina, Louisville, Utah, Xavier, Wichita State, Clemson and Alabama. Other players named include former LSU guard Tim Quarterman, former Maryland center Diamond Stone and former Kentucky center Edrice "Bam" Adebayo.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22553502/fbi-probe-corruption-reveals-basketball-powers-broken-ncaa-rules
Tobias Funke
AG
Josh Jones has a mother named Apples
Harry Dunne
Probably like everyone else here I blazed through the article to try to find out if we were in there and nearly **** my pants when I saw "ASM" multiple times.
GoodAg Paulie
AG
So these are loans from a sports agent. Why does this become a school infraction if it's not known to institutions?? I did not read article yet but this seems more like an outside sports agent infraction.it might not necessarily fall under institutions control issue.
Morpholino
AG
If the "loan" was made through a middle man (ie assistant coach employed by a university) to a recruit then it most definitely becomes an institutional issue.
Harry Dunne
If it was made outside the institution and without institutional knowledge players will still certainly be penalized and coaches and institutions might be as well.

Remember in the USC case they found them to be guilty of lax monitoring and failure to control athlete interaction with boosters & still dropped the hammer pretty hard to even though there was no direct evidence of institutional knowledge
Tobias Funke
AG
The timing of this release, right before conference tourneys, is just maximum chaos. Should be fun to follow along with this story
Method Man
So weird to think LSU that constantly does nothing gets a five star every year would cheat.
Bunk Moreland
Tobias Funke said:

The timing of this release, right before conference tourneys, is just maximum chaos. Should be fun to follow along with this story

Will definitely be interesting. My guess is the NCAA decides not to do anything regarding this year because now they'll have to do a huge dog and pony show where they create the committee to review the evidence, interview people etc...and we'll find out right after Duke wins the '19 championship that all these schools will be ineligible for the 2020 season.
Wicked Good Ag
ESPN article cites Sexton at Alabama
CDub06
AG
EDIT: Someone already made my joke...
Know Your Enemy
AG
CDub06 said:

Kennedy has been slow playing this the entire time. All of these teams are going to be ruled inelligible and who's going to be left to claim the National Title?

Billy Kennedy - You Genius!
That joke was already made on this thread.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Has anyone checked the UK/KU/MSU/etc boards for their take on this story? There could be some gold there.
Bunk Moreland
Junkhead said:

Has anyone checked the UK/KU/MSU/etc boards for their take on this story? There could be some gold there.

here was a quick tu one I was sent earlier:

Quote:

Two Texas names are Eric Davis and Prince Ibeh. We even fail at cheating.

_lefraud_
AG
Kentucky Sports Radio:

Quote:

Waking up to the news that three Kentucky players were listed in documents obtained by the FBI was jarring to say the least, but after a deep breath and an hour to digest the story, I'm not nearly as panicked as I was when my phone went off this morning. Let's break down the facts of what has been released and what to focus on going forward.

The facts
Nerlens Noel, Bam Adebayo, and Kevin Knox are all listed on financial documents from ASM Sports (Andy Miller's agency).
  • Nerlens, who briefly employed Miller as his agent, is listed as taking a $4,350 loan
  • Bam is listed as taking a $12,500 loan, but did not sign with ASM. In a separate document, he is listed as being a "bad loan" with a $36,500 monetary amount.
  • Kevin Knox is one of several players listed on an expense report as meeting or having a meal with former ASM associate Christian Dawkins.
The immediate concern is Knox
It's important to point out that players are allowed to meet with agents; however, they are not allowed to accept money from them or have those agents pay for their meals. Yahoo did not post the actual expense report from Dawkins listing Knox, so it's unclear who paid. If Knox did let Dawkins buy him a meal, it's a violation and he could repay it and regain his eligibility; however, no one knows how the NCAA will handle any of this. Also, did UK already know about this, and if so, did they disclose it to the NCAA before the season began?

The big question now becomes
Will Knox play tomorrow?

If he does, UK must be confident everything checks out. If not, there may be something there.

Bam's involvement is by far the worst
According to these documents, Bam accepted either $12,500 or $36,500 from ASM, which was by their description a "bad loan" because he didn't sign with the agency. Obviously, this is a way bigger deal than Knox having a meal with Christian Dawkins. The timeline becomes very important here. Bam's $12,500 loan is listed on an expense report from December 31, 2015, so after he signed Kentucky (November 18, 2015). Did the payments come before or after that? If after, maybe it's a good thing Luke Maye hit that shot.

Nerlens' loan is the least of our worries
Nerlens was also listed on the December 31, 2015 expense report as taking a $4,350 loan from ASM, but Miller was his agent from June 2013 December 2016. A professional player taking a loan from his agent is the leas of Kentucky' worries right now.

A rundown of players from other major programs
It's definitely not just Kentucky:
  • Dennis Smith, NC State $43,500 loan, total of $73,500
  • Markelle Fultz, Washington, $10,000 loan
  • Miles Bridges no specific amount, but per expense reports, "hundreds of dollars in advances"
  • PJ Dozier, South Carolina at least $6,115
  • Wendell Carter, Duke Met or had meals with Dawkins
  • Collin Sexton, Alabama Met or had meals with Dawkins
  • Tony Bradley, North Carolina Met or had meals with Dawkins

There are so many more.
No players from the 2011, 2012, 2014, or 2015 teams are listed
Which means for now, the banners are safe.

John Calipari is scheduled to talk to the media today

Calipari was scheduled to meet with reporters at 2:15 p.m. to preview tomorrow's game vs. Missouri. That has yet to be confirmed this morning, but knowing Cal, I expect it will. Select players were scheduled to meet with the media at 1:45 p.m., but given this morning's news, I doubt that happens.
CDub06
AG
After reading that article, I was done reading words for the day.
Hop
Staff
AG
Harry Dunne said:

If it was made outside the institution and without institutional knowledge players will still certainly be penalized and coaches and institutions might be as well.

Remember in the USC case they found them to be guilty of lax monitoring and failure to control athlete interaction with boosters & still dropped the hammer pretty hard to even though there was no direct evidence of institutional knowledge

Big difference in lax monitoring of boosters as opposed to outside agents. There's no way a school can stop meetings w outside agents...the assumption here is that none of the coaches were involved in setting up meeting.

If no knowledge or connection to the university can be made, this only affects the eligibility of the player.
TMartin
Do the big schools really care about this discovery? North Carolina has demonstrated over a long period of time that the NCAA can be beaten. I maintain the two biggest components of the tu athletic program are it's journalism and law schools.
Know Your Enemy
AG
TMartin said:

Do the big schools really care about this discovery? North Carolina has demonstrated over a long period of time that the NCAA can be beaten. I maintain the two biggest components of the tu athletic program are it's journalism and law schools.
This is the FBI, not the NCAA.
Sandman23
AG
Hop said:

Harry Dunne said:

Big difference in lax monitoring of boosters as opposed to outside agents. There's no way a school can stop meetings w outside agents...the assumption here is that none of the coaches were involved in setting up meeting.

If no knowledge or connection to the university can be made, this only affects the eligibility of the player.
That's a pretty monumental "if" there.
------- Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2007
GrayMatter
AG
The timing of these findings is rather interesting.
Quote:

With these latest allegations, it's clear this work is more important now than ever. The Board and I are completely committed to making transformational changes to the game and ensuring all involved in college basketball do so with integrity.
Selection Sunday is in 3 weeks and I'm really curious as to what the NCAA will end up doing.

If Pitino's claim that he knew nothing of what was going on with his players then the NCAA should hand out similar punishment to other programs as well for the same reasons.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
Sandman23
AG
AggieBaller98 said:

Quote:

With these latest allegations, it's clear this work is more important now than ever. The Board and I are completely committed to making transformational changes to the game and ensuring all involved in college basketball do so with integrity.
Selection Sunday is in 3 weeks and I'm really curious as to what the NCAA will end up doing.
Spoiler alert. It's nothing. They will do nothing prior to this April. Too much cash at stake.
------- Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2007
Aggie_Eric98
AG
tu will self impose and tournament ban this year.
Maroon Dawn
AG
But...but....the cleanest program in the NCAA! So rich and "The Joneses" that they never even HAVE to cheat!
Harry Dunne

Glad we are not on the list. An NIT ban could cost us thousands of dollars.
HoustonAg2106
AG
AggieBaller98 said:

Quote:

If Pitino's claim that he knew nothing of what was going on with his players then the NCAA should hand out similar punishment to other programs as well for the same reasons.
No way they do that to all of these programs, that would kill the sport...NCAA is in a tough spot.
Harry Dunne
Hop said:

Harry Dunne said:

Not a big difference at all.

There is a bit of a higher duty for the school to stop boosters from interacting with athletes but at the end of the day ANYONE who has interests in the school is a booster and the school cannot be expected to monitor all of them. The bottom line is that there is no way the school can stop meetings with anyone. The expectation is that they educate properly and have an environment that actively discourages this type of thing.

When they don't have enough direct evidence but the facts show that the school or coaches looked the other way, they can still pop them.
biobioprof
I thought I heard on the radio the other day that the balance sheets are just part of the story. They also have people on tape from phone intercepts (FBI can do this, NCAA can't - I hope). It sounded like the radio guy was saying some of the people caught by the wiretaps might be coaches or assistants or that conversations with them might be referenced.

But take that with the NaCl of a badly remembered story heard on the radio while driving somewhere. I don't even remember what show it was. It was only on because it was on KZNE or WTAW which was left on from previous listening to some game.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.