Magic number to make tourney? 2? (2/22/18)

1,484 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PJYoung
Aston04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Another thread mentioned we are getting pegged near a 9 seed right now. Given if that is halfway accurate---

I will say 2 wins.

3 regular season games left + SEC! SEC! Tourney-

@Vandy; @Georgia; v. Alabama; Neutral Court SEC Tourney Game(s)

***Note: If we finish the regular season 0-3, I think you may have to the bump the magic number to 3 (AND of course other variables here based on what everyone else does.. but trying to simply as best I can)...

EKG1996
AG
I think it is three total wins. Meaning three wins in regular season or two in regular season and one in SEC tourney.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Win 2 of the next 3 and we are in. But I don't expect that to happen.
mhayden
If we lose the last 3 games and win 2 games in the SEC Tourney, we're going to the NIT. Probably would still be NIT-bound with 3 SECT wins.

Magic # doesn't really work if you have to change it based on the results, so there's no set # right now.

For "absolutely no doubt about it we're in":

0 reg season + 4 sec tourney
1 reg season + 3 sec tourney
2 reg season + 1 sec tourney
3 reg season + 0 sec tourney
Double Diamond
The committee has shown that outside of winning the whole thing to get you in ,you don't make up much ground from the conference tourney. They have teams pretty much slotted going in. You have to get yourself in by winning last three out of three. Two out of three maybe. And go from there. But expecting a crash to end season and win some in conference tourney to do it, no sir.
Topher17
AG
I tend to agree wtih mhayden's breakdown above. If we only win 1 of the last 3, winning the first two in the SEC tournament probably wouldn't have us beating anyone good enough to improve our resume. Go 0-3 and I really think we might have to win it to get in.
Double Diamond
You lose all three. Winning the sec tourney is it. You aren't getting in at 17/14 with a win or two in a tournament the committee has shown doesn't care about. See Michigan State winning they're tourney a few years ago and staying on the two line over Virgina who didn't. Kansas losing a first game and keeping a one seed.
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
Quote:

Win 2 of the next 3 and we are in. But I don't expect that to happen.

How sad. This is Aggie basketball in 2018. Will we ever see any better?
Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria
Electric
AG
Win 2 any combination. If not we miss worse than a Robert Williams free throw
mhayden
Double Diamond said:

You lose all three. Winning the sec tourney is it. You aren't getting in at 17/14 with a win or two in a tournament the committee has shown doesn't care about. See Michigan State winning they're tourney a few years ago and staying on the two line over Virgina who didn't. Kansas losing a first game and keeping a one seed.

Nobody is saying a win or two. If we lose all 3 then we'll be playing in the 1st (and 2nd) rounds of the SEC Tourney -- meaning it takes 5 wins to win the whole thing.

If we come in at 17-14 overall but then beat an Ole Miss, a Georgia, a Kentucky and a Tennessee to make the SEC Tourney finals then we'd wind up 21-15 overall with 2 more Quadrant 1 wins and an RPI of 35.

That wouldn't get left out.
mncag
I strongly believe the book is out on how to beat the aggie. no guards pressure The bigs. we have seen it 3 games in a row. I don't think this team wins another game
Baby Billy
AG
The ONLY way this team plays well is if Gilder and Hogg hold up their end. They haven't.

Starks, TD, and Rob can't do it on their own.

When Gilder and Hogg play well, we play well. When they play like ass (last 3), then we struggle. That's what happens when you have no bench
Method Man
"Do you believe in miracles?'!?! Yes!"/Al Michaels voice
PatAg
AG
Huell Babineaux said:

The ONLY way this team plays well is if Gilder and Hogg hold up their end. They haven't.

Starks, TD, and Rob can't do it on their own.

When Gilder and Hogg play well, we play well. When they play like ass (last 3), then we struggle. That's what happens when you have no bench
I agree with this to an extent. When they play well, we can overcome the less than stellar coaching.

BanderaAg956
0-3
0-1

Oh two more years!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
WhataMaroon88
AG
I've never seen 7-11 or worse in conference getting an auto bid in recent history. Am I wrong?

When has that conf winning percentage ever got a bid? I know one year a few back had several teams that's were a game or two under .500 in conference... but it's rare. I think we gotta win 2 of 3 or we only get in if the bubble is very bad in 2 weeks
PJYoung
AG
Yeah we need to get to 8-10 to get in.

I am guessing 7-11 and a run to the finals of the sec tourney would test it but I'm not even sure about that.
mhayden
7-11 and the SEC Tournament finals would put us in without sweating it.
Sandman23
AG
WhataMaroon88 said:

I've never seen 7-11 or worse in conference getting an auto bid in recent history. Am I wrong?

Since you said "auto bid" (which is given to conference tournament champions) then the 2006 Syracuse team would be your answer.
------- Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2007
GrayMatter
AG
With Vandy having an RPI of over 100, I don't see us making it to the tourney if we lose to them unless we are in the finals of the SEC tournament.

Vandy is a must win.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
PJYoung
AG
AggieBaller98 said:

With Vandy having an RPI of over 100, I don't see us making it to the tourney if we lose to them unless we are in the finals of the SEC tournament.

Vandy is a must win.

If we lose to Vandy and win the last 2 our RPI would be around 34.

Still in.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/wizard/Texas%20A&M.html
PJYoung
AG
Ha, our RPI only drops to 36 if we lost to Vandy AND Georgia and then beat Bama at home.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.