Tom Crean story on The Athletic

3,682 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Triple-T
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For you athletic subscribers, which if you're not I definitely recommend if you love good reads on college hoops, Nicole Auerbach's first piece for the site was following Tom Crean around as he prepared to call a game.

Interesting insight into Crean, who I know is a name that's been floated around here a little bit lately.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Would crean myself if we hired Crean.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Crean
Mussleman
Konkol
Pitino (the one at Minnesota)
Jordan (from Butler)
Sampson
A circus monkey

Anything would be better than what we have.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
sincereag
Listened to an interview with Mussleman on ESPNU radio and was very impressed with him. Really has done a terrific job at Nevada. They almost beat Tech in Lubbock early this season.
EKUAg
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

Would crean myself if we hired Crean.

Crean is a no go for me. He is another Kennedy IMHO from what I saw at IU.
bobinator
AG
EKUAg said:

I'm not saying Crean would be at the top of my list, but this seems like a crazy statement.

Crean made the NCAA's four of his nine years at IU, including three Sweet 16 appearances. At Marquette, he made the NCAA's five of nine years including a Final Four trip.

Now, you could argue that winning at IU is easier than A&M, but Crean took over that program after the Kelvin Sampson debacle. They flat out sucked when he got there.
Ags #1
AG
Hahahahah. Can't stop laughing at the circus monkey comment
bobinator
AG
I'd be interested in a circus monkey case study. Would the players, knowing that they're coached by a circus monkey, take more of a leadership role and coach themselves? If so, would they actually end up better than if coached by a bad coach? If so, then is a circus monkey actually better than a bad coach?

These are questions I need answers to.
mikesyracuse1
Crean has always prepared well in all of his jobs including this year as an analyst.

Mikesyracuse1
mhayden
I'm one that doesn't think a site like The Athletic will be able to survive, but I will say the Doug Gottlieb article about his credit card stealing at ND was a good enough preview to make me re-think.
bobinator
AG
I don't think it will either, but while it's alive, I'm enjoying it. I think it was like 40 or 50 bucks for the whole year and that gets you all of their coverage. I liked some of Rosenthal's stuff during the MLB playoffs even though I don't normally read a lot of baseball articles.

They're basically betting that there's a market for people who actually want to read long stories and analysis and I find that hard to believe, especially without the site being subsidized by advertising.
HoustonAg2106
AG
bobinator said:

EKUAg said:

I'm not saying Crean would be at the top of my list, but this seems like a crazy statement.

Crean made the NCAA's four of his nine years at IU, including three Sweet 16 appearances. At Marquette, he made the NCAA's five of nine years including a Final Four trip.

Now, you could argue that winning at IU is easier than A&M, but Crean took over that program after the Kelvin Sampson debacle. They flat out sucked when he got there.

Making the tourney less than half the time is not good, especially at IU
mhayden
Yeah, it will be interesting to see how it works out. They have definitely amassed the talent. I could read well-researched analytic articles all day on every sport.

I think one of the main reasons I was initially off-put by it was one of the local Texas Rangers writers (Jamey Newberg) took his stuff that has been free for a decade and moved over to that site, and while his stuff was great in the early years -- critical and praising -- in the last 6-7 years he essentially became a mouthpiece for the franchise in return for more access so nothing was ever critical, ever... So his stuff started going straight to my deleted folder, and I certainly can't imagine now paying for it.

But with the articles and a handful of "first reported by The Athletic" on the ESPN ticker... If they handle the breaking news well enough to make it worthwhile for subscribers, then maybe it can survive.
Serious Lee
he reportedly wanted the L'ville job and they decided on a guy with zero head coaching experience instead. Their ADs bottom line was ABC, Anyone But Crean. One man's trash and all...
mhayden
HoustonAg2106 said:

bobinator said:

EKUAg said:

If he was making it all the time at IU then he wouldn't be available to Texas A&M.
Double Diamond
Guy doesn't coach defense. Is strange and would wear on this fan base.
bobinator
AG
I didn't say he was particularly good at IU, obviously he got himself fired, but he built that program back up out of a pretty bad scandal and went on a stretch of four NCAA's in six years, including three sweet 16s. He'd be the best coach in A&M history if he could do that here.
monarch
S
Kelvin Samson is an NCAA issue; don't want that. Same with Kermit Davis.
Peace for Ukraine!
Sandman23
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

bobinator said:

EKUAg said:

As a hypothetical exercise, if you could have a coach that only made the tourney every other year, but sporadically would make deep runs (including a Final Four), would it be worth it?
bobinator
AG
Double Diamond said:

Guy doesn't coach defense. Is strange and would wear on this fan base.
I definitely agree with this, and I'm not really advocating for him as our next coach, just thought it was an interesting article for those that have access.

Now, I definitely don't think the timing of the story is a coincidence. He also has a piece on SI.com today.

With a little over two weeks to go in the season, he's making sure his name is out there.

He's going to end up somewhere. I don't think he'd take the Ole Miss job, but Georgia maybe?
mhayden
Sandman23 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

bobinator said:

EKUAg said:

As a hypothetical exercise, if you could have a coach that only made the tourney every other year, but sporadically would make deep runs (including a Final Four), would it be worth it?

Absolutely.
bobinator
AG
Hell to be honest I'd probably take a coach that made the tourney every other year even without the qualifier of guaranteed deep runs.
Sandman23
AG
And I would agree with both you and mhayden. Which was kind of my point, that dismissing Crean out of hand simply because "he only makes it half the time" is kind of silly.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Sandman23 said:

And I would agree with both you and mhayden. Which was kind of my point, that dismissing Crean out of hand simply because "he only makes it half the time" is kind of silly.

I'm taking into account the fact that it's harder to win at A&M than it is at a historic program like IU
mhayden
HoustonAg2106 said:

Sandman23 said:

I'm taking into account the fact that it's harder to win at A&M than it is at a historic program like IU

But that's not something that is 100% true no matter what school/coach.

There's plenty of really good coaches that can't cut it at a higher level but have shown to be very successful at lesser schools (Billy Gillispie, Shaka Smart, etc...)
bobinator
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

All other things equal, sure, but he didn't exactly walk into peak Indiana.
HoustonAg2106
AG
free_mhayden said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Sandman23 said:

But that's not something that is 100% true no matter what school/coach.

There's plenty of really good coaches that can't cut it at a higher level but have shown to be very successful at lesser schools (Billy Gillispie, Shaka Smart, etc...)

Good point
bobinator
AG
I think the best example of this is McDermott. Dude was good at Northern Iowa, sucked at Iowa State, and now he's good again at Creighton (thought obviously having his kid McBuckets to get him kickstarted there was helpful...)
bemer
S
Reed Arena where coaches love to coach, on the visitor side.
swc93
AG
bobinator said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

IU men's soccer program is in a better shape than the basketball one.
HoustonAg2106
AG
swc93 said:

bobinator said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

IU men's soccer program is in a better shape than the basketball one.
That was kind of my point about Crean. I know he inherited a mess at IU, but 9 years later and it's still in bad shape.
SilverTongueDevil
I dunno did you ever think that Indiana isn't a top job without a hall of fame coach like Bob Knight. He made that program and they had very little sustained success in the 20 years since he left.
_lefraud_
AG
SilverTongueDevil said:

I dunno did you ever think that Indiana isn't a top job without a hall of fame coach like Bob Knight. He made that program and they had very little sustained success in the 20 years since he left.
This. Although I think Miller will do well there, but Indiana is no longer a Tier 1 basketball school, at least not when compared to UK, Duke, UNC, Kansas. Hell, I'd say UCLA is maybe even a drop down, maybe like Tier 1b.
AggieTFA06
AG
Crean >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Billy Kennedy
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
HoustonAg2106
AG
_lefraud_ said:

SilverTongueDevil said:

This. Although I think Miller will do well there, but Indiana is no longer a Tier 1 basketball school, at least not when compared to UK, Duke, UNC, Kansas. Hell, I'd say UCLA is maybe even a drop down, maybe like Tier 1b.

True but all the schools you mentioned found the right coaches and have had them for a long period of time. If IU finds the right coach they have everything else to be on that level...if A&M find the right coach we go on a run of sweet 16's
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.