Does Woodward get a "Jimbo Fisher" of basketball?

6,916 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TXAggie2011
TxAggieMichael
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Le sigh...

I really wanted to believe that this was going to be the year that BK proved we should keep him around, but I've essentially given up on that hope. Having said that...

Assuming BK is fired after barely making the tournament and losing in the first round, does Woodward go out and make a "home run" hire, like he did with Jimbo Fisher? Or does he aim for a promising up-and-comer like we've done again and again with very limited success?

Do we even have the money to go out and money-whip the man we want, or has all of our AD funding been gone straight into Jimbo's pocket?

If it is feasible, and money's not an issue here, who is the "home run" hire, anyway? Opinions?

I won't pretend to know if any of these are even remotely possible, but I would love to see us take a shot at someone like Buzz Williams, Greg Marshall, Mike Davis, or even a Billy Donovan.
AgsNguyen
AG
The reason we were able to make a Jimbo type hire in football was because it's a great job. Facilities ,money, fan support.....it's a sleeping giant. We are no where close to being that in basketball. Heck the average Aggie fan that knows there football probably can't even tell you how many timeouts you get in basketball or how many fouls until the bonus.
TxAggieMichael
AG
AgsNguyen said:

The reason we were able to make a Jimbo type hire in football was because it's a great job. Facilities ,money, fan support.....it's a sleeping giant. We are no where close to being that in basketball. Heck the average Aggie fan that knows there football probably can't even tell you how many timeouts you get in basketball or how many fouls until the bonus.
Yeah, you're absolutely right about that...
Jumbo Fister
AG
The reality of the situation is that Kennedy will be given next year as well. This is Texas A&M, no one except random ass posters on the internet gives a **** about basketball. To people that matter, making the tournament in and of itself is a massive achievement.

The good news is that our lineup next year will most likely be garbage and we will come nowhere close to making the tournament.
Double Diamond
Don't need a Jimbo hire. Plenty of coaches out there who could do better.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Desk said:

The reality of the situation is that Kennedy will be given next year as well. This is Texas A&M, no one except random ass posters on the internet gives a **** about basketball. To people that matter, making the tournament in and of itself is a massive achievement.

The good news is that our lineup next year will most likely be garbage and we will come nowhere close to making the tournament.

That's not good news
GE
AG
A Gregg Marshall or Avery Johnson hire would be great and it is nowhere near a Jimbo hire.
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

Heck the average Aggie fan that knows there football probably can't even tell you how many timeouts you get in basketball or how many fouls until the bonus.
Hire the right coach and we can google the rest. If we could consistently make it into the second weekend then I guarantee the basketball ignorance would quickly disappear
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jml2621
AgsNguyen said:

Fans were pretty vocal and savvy during BCG's tenure. They understood hustle and DEFENSE.

Texas Tech is 3rd in adjusted defense.

Want a home run hire?

Mr. Woodward, pay Chris Beard whatever he need$ to come to Texa$ A&M Univer$ity.

If we hire him, the Ag faithful will come. DO IT.

BK's recruiting pipeline has gone dry. 47% is 47%

TT M2M guards the 2FG and 3FG well, they get steals and create TOs. The closest thing to BCG ball we've seen in a decade.
Double Diamond
Eric Musselman Would be a great hire.
TxAggieMichael
AG
I'd be pretty okay with that hire, though I wouldn't necessarily say he's a home run hire...
Double Diamond
Chis Beard isn't taking this job. But it would totally be a home run. I mean what's a home run? Bill Self? I mean you guys need to get that the next hire will be someone with hopefully a lot of upside, but isn't gonna be some guy with titles.
Method Man
BK has been so bad no one cares about bball anymore. Seriously. We went out and got turgeon after BK. Now we don't have anyone who cares enough to buy this guy out or go get a desireable coach. UTx, UF, and Michigan get it. You don't have to have bball high as football but at least try. (Yes I realize Shaka isn't killing it but the hire was good).
Mikeyshooter
AG
Double Diamond said:

Agreed
Indignitas
AG
Quote:

Greg Marshall
Money Whip!!!
Double Diamond
You got over 5 million and private jets for recruiting?
AgsNguyen
AG
What do you figure it costs to fly snoop dog and his crew in to play your Xmas party? If buzbe can pony up for that what's a few more dollars for a competent basketball coach.
Serious Lee
Double Diamond said:

dude could definitely recruit. have you seen his wife?
EXCELL
Woodward enthusiastically signed off on a multi-year, multi-million dollar extension.

He's not exactly a rocket scientist.

Now we have to fix what he screwed up and it will be both expensive, and true to Aggie coaching history, embarrassing.
Method Man
Indeed. I can't imagine how many people saw that contract and mortgaged the future of Aggie basketball for a "nice guy" they like.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Woodward is the AD that gave Kennedy his extension....so I don't trust his basketball IQ...
bobinator
AG
I'd be good without ever hearing the phrase "money whip" ever again.
FTAG 2000
AG
Motracicletraficificker said:

Woodward is the AD that gave Kennedy his extension....so I don't trust his basketball IQ...
The extension was already on the table and he was coming in to handle the Kyle Field rebuild.

I'll cut him some slack for signing off on the predecessor's work (that had donor backing).

Now, if this joke of a coach comes back next season? Yeah, break out the pitch forks.
EXCELL
Quote:

Yeah, break out the pitch forks.
Might as well get an early start 'cause BK ain't going anywhere.
jnocar
I enjoy basketball and I would be willing to sit on Aggies bench. It would take a BIG contract to
get me, though. Probably something over 90K --- Anything better than where I'm now!
FTAG 2000
AG
EXCELL said:

Quote:

Then donations and season ticket sales will collapse for next year and Woodward will have to answer for more red ink on the balance sheet around hoops.

But I disagree with the notion he's safe given we're heading for the finish we are.
JJxvi
AG
If we do not make the NCAA tournament this year, it would be absolutely incredible for Kennedy to come back again next year. I can't believe that is a possibility. Firing him and having any ******* coach almost for free to offset the cost might legitimately be a better option financially than keeping him. Who is gonna pay for tickets to see a program that would basically be sending a signal that it isn't even going to try?

There is no way to walk back failure this season, and an increasingly negative track record to boot. Since I've been following our program, we have been no basketball powerhouse even though we have played good basketball. There have only been 4 seasons out of the 17 or so years where I've been paying attention where we had a team that was expected to be good...basically where we started the season ranked. Gillispie and Turgeon coached 7 years, and made the tournament 6 times, but even they only had two of those teams. 1 team was amazing, 1 ended up mediocre, but not bad. Kennedy will have had the other 2 ranked teams, and both times to miss the dance? 1 year where we overachieved a couple years ago simply cannot balance all the failure. There are no recruiting successes to point to on the horizon either. If we don't make the tournament this year (which even making it would be a bad taste, but at least a bare minimum of expectation could be claimed to have been reached) there is no way you can bring him back.
DogCompany74
AG
He's not going anywhere so this dialogue is the ultimate in mental masturbation.

I would hope that whenever BK decides to hang it up that the AD will have at least the leverage of being in a top level basketball conference since that is definitely the SEC trend. We should have good facilities with improvements on the drawing board and a core of fans that are eager to be lead out of the wasteland.

Membership in the SEC is the only thing that gives me hope that we will ultimately have to invest in basketball.
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
bobinator
AG
DogCompany74 said:

Membership in the SEC is the only thing that gives me hope that we will ultimately have to invest in basketball.
If anything I think the opposite.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
EXCELL said:

Quote:

An 8th year for Kennedy will be a ledger sheet disaster. Attendance and season ticket sales would absolutely plummet.

Woodward and big wigs may not care about basketball, but I bet they care about making $$.

At this point, the only people who would buy season tickets for this clown show are people trying to rack up priority points for football. And there can't be enough of those to keep that ship in the black.
JJxvi
AG
Also there is no way in hell the athletic department and 12th man foundation isn't royally pissed about this season, regardless of what people claim on message boards or what is not reported in the (non-existent) A&M basketball media.

They sent out surveys this year to donors and have hired architectural consultants and have had meetings about renovating Reed. The gist of it was about ponying up for club and mezzanine sections, and adding suites, and tailgating areas and all kinds of stuff. You know why they prepped all that this year? To strike while the iron was hot while we were going to be good and get that kind of stuff paid for. Someone somewhere is grinding their teeth about the way this season turned out I can damn well guarantee you.
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
Izzo
EXCELL
Quote:

Woodward and big wigs may not care about basketball, but I bet they care about making $$.
TV revenue is likely good enough.
So many local Ags will continue to buy tickets strictly for something to do

If we lose out or something approaching that (win 1 and lose first round in SEC) and MAYBE they seriously consider it. The buyout Rocket Scientist Woodward bestowed upon Kennedy is substantive and will likely buy him (literally) another year.
FTAG 2000
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

EXCELL said:

Quote:

An 8th year for Kennedy will be a ledger sheet disaster. Attendance and season ticket sales would absolutely plummet.

At this point, the only people who would buy season tickets for this clown show are people trying to rack up priority points for football. And there can't be enough of those to keep that ship in the black.
Hoops has already gone from a profitable program for us when Turgeon left to a red line on the balance sheet with an accelerating trend in the wrong direction. We're already there, the question is how much pain does the AD want to endure?

Especially given the fact that if they go out and invest in a good coach, things will be back in the black and substantially so, freeing up more money for the non-revenue sports (and football).
FTAG 2000
AG
EXCELL said:

Quote:

TV revenue is likely good enough.
So many local Ags will continue to buy tickets strictly for something to do

If we lose out or something approaching that (win 1 and lose first round in SEC) and MAYBE they seriously consider it. The buyout Rocket Scientist Woodward bestowed upon Kennedy is substantive and will likely buy him (literally) another year.
TV revenue has not been enough for the last two years.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.