Weed

9,090 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Agsncws
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aggie Basketball related because smoking it (or conservative Texas lawmakers failing to legalize it, if you wish to take that view) is hurting our season. Despite all of us being Aggies (+ a few trolls + a few Aggie trolls), I know we have a lot of different ages and walks of life represented here and I'm curious to know where people stand on this issue.

My personal views & experience: I think marijuana should be legalized, and feel about it the same way that I think most people feel about alcohol - that it should be legal for adults, regulated, and taxed but not abused. I smoked a solid amount in my 20s and have not since then for a variety of reasons. I wholeheartedly believe that some time down the road we are going to look back at all of this mess and think it is as silly as the Prohibition era was.

Laws/team rules/league rules aside, I don't have any problem with marijuana use in athletes more than I do with drinking, other than it's not very good for you. That is to say, I don't think many athletes are drinking one glass of red wine or smoking one joint per night but if they did, it would be no worse in my opinion than the many basketball-playing Skittles-eating fools. Maybe better than Skittles even, though based on my personal experience, I would bet that a lot of the weed guys are also Skittles guys.

My point is that I don't really care that the guys on the team were smoking weed in and of itself. I'm disappointed that they did something that hurt the team and that hurt their lives and futures, but I would be no more or less disappointed if they had been reckless on an ATV, shoplifting crab legs, etc. I would be more disappointed if it were DUI, assault or anything that put an innocent other's life and welfare at risk.

It seems like a lot of people have a big problem with the marijuana use, period. I only have a problem with the guys lacking discipline and choosing short-term gratification over their team and their future. Society stigmatizes their "crime", but I don't think it's any worse than, for example, an athlete getting so fat that he hurts his knee and is out for the year or for good. That is to say, I don't have a problem with the cheeseburgers themselves, just with the lack of restraint.

If this ends up getting too heated or political, please feel free to move it to another forum, but I am curious to read responses.
AggieFromArkansas
I agree 100% with everything you wrote.
The Debt
NCAA rules don't care about your opinions.
Method Man
Shut up, hippie.
Rongagin71
AG
I have never liked the stuff but my son and most of his friends use it. Wish it had been legal back when tobacco was penalized for genetically engineering to make it more addictive because weed did the same and should also have been fined.
There are many different varieties of marijuana with many different "cure claims", at least some of which appear to be true.
Would be good with limited legalization, meaning sell and tax it, but don't smoke on the bus.
BQ_90
AG
The Debt said:

NCAA rules don't care about your opinions.
its very simple, yet we have 30 threads all over this site about it.
AnalogyAg
are there other drugs you're in favor of legalizing? why or why not and why is marijuana different? (you can leave out the addiction angle, though i think there is an emotional addiction that is real).

i'm basically opposed. but we have a more serious problem with our society when we have no problem with abortion. not much will change until hearts are changed.
Zulu451
AG
I am always curious about people who say that weed is harmless. The claims are tough to substantiate, on either side.

What I observe here in our most recent incident, and frankly on a recurring basis, is that despite illegal, and NCAA rules, kids are willing to sacrifice their ticket out of the hood for their weed.

That is the definition of addiction. Regardless, caffeine, weed, crack, or sugar, when a desire to use a substance overshadows other areas and negatively impacts your life. Clearly, weed is addictive. It has destroyed opportunities and lives.

We have a huge enough problem with intoxicated driving, lets make this even worse with pot. Sorry the logic isn't there.
Nino Brown
I don't do it anymore because it made me lazy in college after playing ball. But like my mother says, rules are rules and laws are laws until they are changed, period. My problem is in our society we can talk about drugs, alcohol, violence but is someone says the word vagina everyone loses their minds.
Harry Dunne
Zulu451 said:

I am always curious about people who say that weed is harmless. The claims are tough to substantiate, on either side.

What I observe here in our most recent incident, and frankly on a recurring basis, is that despite illegal, and NCAA rules, kids are willing to sacrifice their ticket out of the hood for their weed.

That is the definition of addiction. Regardless, caffeine, weed, crack, or sugar, when a desire to use a substance overshadows other areas and negatively impacts your life. Clearly, weed is addictive. It has destroyed opportunities and lives.

We have a huge enough problem with intoxicated driving, lets make this even worse with pot. Sorry the logic isn't there.
No one says it's harmless. Alcohol isn't harmless either. It's harmful when abused. It's harmful in certain situations (driving, like you mentioned). I'm no expert but like alcohol, there are probably people predisposed to being addicts. Basically most things you say about weed you can say about alcohol. Are you in favor of criminalizing alcohol?

No indication that use will increase if legalized - it is difficult to measure. Some studies suggest that alcohol consumption went up during prohibition. At best it certainly did not go down much, if at all.
Wicked Good Ag
Regardless of your stance if you are caught you are penalized in some capacity under NCAA either by the school coach or actually the court system

Knowing this and knowing that it has happened in the past with penalties players choose to do this in spite of the punishment. That is the issue
cevans_40
AG
I don't care about MJ one way or the other. What I care about is someone risking a free education and a chance to make millions of dollars playing a game on anything. Apart from life and death, there are very few things in this world worth choosing over a free college degree and MJ ain't one of them.
Harry Dunne
AnalogyAg said:

are there other drugs you're in favor of legalizing? why or why not and why is marijuana different? (you can leave out the addiction angle, though i think there is an emotional addiction that is real).

i'm basically opposed. but we have a more serious problem with our society when we have no problem with abortion. not much will change until hearts are changed.
No drugs I can think of.

To me the main difference between Marijuana and other recreational drugs is that you can't overdose. Maybe it can be lethal over time like cigarettes, but cigs are not illegal.

No one is saying that weed is good for you, but it's no worse than cigarettes or alcohol. Most studies have between 5-10% of weed users becoming addicts while the number of alcohol users becoming addicts is nearly double that. Cigs blow them both out of the water.

Harry Dunne
Wicked Good Ag said:

Regardless of your stance if you are caught you are penalized in some capacity under NCAA either by the school coach or actually the court system

Knowing this and knowing that it has happened in the past with penalties players choose to do this in spite of the punishment. That is the issue
100% correct, that is the Aggie Basketball issue and was stated multiple times in the OP.

I'm just curious about people's opinions on marijuana. That is the issue of this thread.
Alpha Texan
AG
If you want to be a great athlete, don't put crap like that in your body and damage your respiratory system.
Serious Lee
whats wrong with skittles? they are awesome
Uncle Jimbo
Lbull said:

If you want to be a great athlete, don't put crap like that in your body and damage your respiratory system.

Agreed! I'm just like you. I love me some EDIBLES.
94chem
I don't care if it's legal or not. I do think that a lackadaisical approach to following simple rules will translate to a similar approach on the court.

I also know that if a loved one needed it for medical reasons, I wouldn't give a crap what the law said. There's a family here who is losing a child, and they just raised a bunch of money to go to out of state. I suspect that it was for hospice care with marijuana. I can't even imagine the pain they're going through, made worse by politicians.

This is a country that allows people to own pretty much any gun they want, but hemp - freaking hemp - is considered a level 1 controlled substance.
Alpha Texan
AG
you got me there, uncle
fireinthehole
Nino Brown said:

I don't do it anymore because it made me lazy in college after playing ball. But like my mother says, rules are rules and laws are laws until they are changed, period. My problem is in our society we can talk about drugs, alcohol, violence but is someone says the word vagina everyone loses their minds.

More likely to lose my mind if someone shows me one
Nino Brown
Uncle Gunnysack said:

If you are filling up on candy, you leave little room for nutrient-dense foods that support your health. Candy contains no vitamins and very small, if any, amounts of minerals, which means you are satisfying hunger but doing nothing to meet your daily nutrient intake requirements. Furthermore, high sugar intake actually robs you of much needed nutrients, such as calcium, because your body must use them to digest sugar. This contributes to the development of nutrient deficiencies, including iron, vitamins A and C, and calcium, which results in a variety of health problems, including anemia and a lowered immunity.

So technically, if you eat like crap(Sugar-a drug) and are sick a lot, lazy in practice or missing practice from illness often.) You are also on drugs and wasting a scholarship.
EliteZags
AG
Have you ever heard of medicinal cocaine or medicinal acid? Weed has more health benefits than detriments, definitely no athletic advantages
Shouldn't be illegal and shouldn't be a violation

I don't even smoke it cause I don't enjoy it all that much but know enough about it to not make generalized assumptions
Luke The Drifter
AG
Almost everything is OK in moderation. I have a feeling that in order to get dismissed from a basketball team and lose your full-ride scholarship, you have to go well beyond moderation. Personally, I do not care if marijuana is legal or not. I am honestly OK with either option. But the rules are the rules and they have to be followed. Period. I did not get a full ride to pay for all of my educational expenses at A&M...but if I would have and one of the rules was to not smoke weed, you can bet your behind I would have known not to smoke weed.

So, to me, this isn't an issue of should weed be legal. It's an issue of whether or not a guy being handed a $40,000+ scholarship can follow some basic, rudimentary, simple rules.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
halfastros81
AG
I have never tried it. I used to be 100% against legalization. Have changed my views over the yrs after many, many discussions with all different sorts of people . Now I think it's a personal decision just like alcohol with the caveat that if your employer, school, state law, etc consider it prohibited and you get caught using it anyway then you should fully expect to suffer consequences of varying degrees, none of which are going to be good. Don't cry about it if you are caught, you weren't ignorant. I think it should be legalized, regulated, and controlled just like alcohol so as to try and work as much "crime" out of the equation as possible.

I don't think you should put others in danger by using a substance and then driving or operating dangerous equipment but it's no different than alcohol in that respect. I guess I don't care about BAC or THC in blood because that isn't what matters, what matters is if you can safely negotiate and make good decisions. Some kind of generally accepted field sobriety test should be the hurdle although I admit interpretation and subjectivity would probably always be in play.

Forgoing a $100k + bb scholarship/education was not smart. Perhaps he'll get another chance elsewhere.

Iv'e never really had much desire to try it and definitely was influenced to not even consider it because I was employed in an industry that will fire you on the spot if you test positive. I'll be retiring sometime in the next few yrs and I might even try it if I'm in a place that it's legal. Then again I might not. No big deal either way.
Ag_EE_88
AG
Acid was made to be medicinal and cocaine was once in soda.

Steve Jobs swears by acid so it must be okay.

With that said, I could see it being treated like alcohol with the same type of punishments.
halfastros81
AG
Quote:

You have to separate the act of drinking from the act of drinking to the point of being impared and driving.

It's not illegal to sleep but it's illegal to sleep behind the wheel of a moving vehicle. You can't outlaw sleeping. Practically speaking you can't outlaw adult drinking either. It's been tried. It failed miserably. My personal opinion is that pot is very similar at this point... and this is coming from someone that's never even tried it. I just know it's everywhere now.
txag72
AG
I've heard people from Colorado say it's not a good thing at all. Stay tuned.
goatchze
AG
Doesn't matter. Team has rules. Players broke rules. End of story.
getme
Harry Dunne said:

Aggie Basketball related because smoking it (or conservative Texas lawmakers failing to legalize it, if you wish to take that view) is hurting our season. Despite all of us being Aggies (+ a few trolls + a few Aggie trolls), I know we have a lot of different ages and walks of life represented here and I'm curious to know where people stand on this issue.

My personal views & experience: I think marijuana should be legalized, and feel about it the same way that I think most people feel about alcohol - that it should be legal for adults, regulated, and taxed but not abused. I smoked a solid amount in my 20s and have not since then for a variety of reasons. I wholeheartedly believe that some time down the road we are going to look back at all of this mess and think it is as silly as the Prohibition era was.

Laws/team rules/league rules aside, I don't have any problem with marijuana use in athletes more than I do with drinking, other than it's not very good for you. That is to say, I don't think many athletes are drinking one glass of red wine or smoking one joint per night but if they did, it would be no worse in my opinion than the many basketball-playing Skittles-eating fools. Maybe better than Skittles even, though based on my personal experience, I would bet that a lot of the weed guys are also Skittles guys.

My point is that I don't really care that the guys on the team were smoking weed in and of itself. I'm disappointed that they did something that hurt the team and that hurt their lives and futures, but I would be no more or less disappointed if they had been reckless on an ATV, shoplifting crab legs, etc. I would be more disappointed if it were DUI, assault or anything that put an innocent other's life and welfare at risk.

It seems like a lot of people have a big problem with the marijuana use, period. I only have a problem with the guys lacking discipline and choosing short-term gratification over their team and their future. Society stigmatizes their "crime", but I don't think it's any worse than, for example, an athlete getting so fat that he hurts his knee and is out for the year or for good. That is to say, I don't have a problem with the cheeseburgers themselves, just with the lack of restraint.

If this ends up getting too heated or political, please feel free to move it to another forum, but I am curious to read responses.

Legality aside it's against NCAA rules.
Isaih Smollett
Quote:

diabetes
SWAGBOT
AG
It's difficult to take anyone's perspective into consideration if they've never tried weed. It would be like if a bunch of people who have never drank tried to ban alcohol. Is it 100% harmless? No. But it is proven to be less addicting and less damaging to your body than almost any other drug, especially alcohol. I'm 100% for legalization for many reasons that I won't list because that would take forever.

THAT BEING SAID, if it is against the rule, it's against the rules. It would be the same if cheeseburgers were banned and the team got caught grubbing down at Whataburger. It takes maturity and discipline to resist temptation and clearly our team lacks maturity and discipline.
CynicalSam
AG
I'm a wild west libertarian. Let people do whatever the hell they want as long as it doesn't directly harm others. Have strict criminal and civil laws for when their crazy bs does harm others. Let civil lawsuits be paid for by the loser. Get government off our backs. I don't need them spending my money to tell me what size soft drink I can drink and I sure as heck should able to paint my property when some idiots screw it up without having to pay $6.7 mil!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/02/13/a-landlord-obliterated-dozens-of-graffiti-murals-now-he-owes-the-artists-6-7-million/?utm_term=.356f613d9e21
Seven Costanza
AG
EliteZags said:

Have you ever heard of medicinal cocaine or medicinal acid?
I'm not trying to s*** on your point (rather, I just think this is interesting), but there is apparently some positive research regarding treatment of PTSD with LSD and MDMA.
peace
S
What is the financial hit when purchasing weed? I suppose price varies, but I am looking for what is average and how much that amount of money buys? Totally foreign to me, thus asking.
Muy
AG
The Texas legislature is hurting our team because several players can't follow the law in spite of knowing it very clearly.

Okay.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.