The 2018-2019 Roster

9,973 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mazag08
_lefraud_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not Returning
- Williams, JR
- Hogg, SR (just my guess)

Returning
- Davis, SR
- Gilder, SR
- Nebo, rJR
- Caldwell, rSO
- Flagg, SO
- Chandler, SO
- Starks, SO
- Jasey, SO
- Walker, rFR

Fair to say that ONE of these guys will also move on, and TWO wouldn't be surprising

Recruits
- Jones, FR
- Mitchell, JR
- Mahan, SO
- Mekowulu, SR

How does it compare to the 2011-2012 roster? Any guesses as to what the roster will look like come September 2018?
Inca
AG
You left the transfer Nebo off your roster.

Are you sure Tyler Davis is returning?
SWAGBOT
AG
Again, unless Hogg transfers or joins Lavar Ball's Lithuanian Big Baller Brand League, he isn't going anywhere. No NBA team wants a 3 point shooter who can't make 3s.
Aston04
AG
Notice that is only 10 guys back heading into spring recruiting (if Hogg and Williams leave).-- with nothing jumping off the page as promising there as of yet .. And that's assuming everyone else stays (big assumption).

The pipeline is drying up as our fraud of a coach is being exposed.
expresswrittenconsent
SWAGBOT said:

Again, unless Hogg transfers or joins Lavar Ball's Lithuanian Big Baller Brand League, he isn't going anywhere. No NBA team wants a 3 point shooter who can't make 3s.

There are hundreds of pro basketball leagues between the best (nba) and worst (Lithuanian 3rd tier).
Inca
AG
Exactly. Davis has no reason to come back, either for another year of this crap or to have a new coach his senior year.

What an inexcusable waste of talent this year has been.
_lefraud_
AG
Inca said:

Completely forgot about Nebo, thanks.

I guess I could see Davis leaving if Kennedy IS NOT retained...but I don't think it is likely that Davis will leave either way.
GE
AG
If this season goes the way it might (which should have NEVER even been a possibility), then need to make a splash hire as soon as that coaches team is eliminated from the NCAA tournament. Must be a guy who is either a great recruiter or will build his staff with great recruiters.

As far as the '18 roster, we will be fine next year if there isn't any unexpected attrition. Only major concern is lack of three point shooting, which is already a concern this season. Hopefully one of the freshmen will develop over the off-season or Jones comes in and can shoot it.

New coach MUST add a quality post in the '18 late signing period or the '19 class.
Sgt. Schultz
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Not Returning
- Williams, JR
- Hogg, SR (just my guess)

Returning
- Davis, SR
- Gilder, SR
- Nebo, rJR
- Caldwell, rSO
- Flagg, SO
- Chandler, SO
- Starks, SO
- Jasey, SO
- Walker, rFR

Fair to say that ONE of these guys will also move on, and TWO wouldn't be surprising

Recruits
- Jones, FR

What are your thoughts on this roster, either with/without Kennedy being back next year? How does it compare to the 2011-2012 roster? Any guesses as to what the roster will look like come September 2018?
You left off TTM coming back for Year 7
_lefraud_
AG
SWAGBOT said:

I think Hogg thinks he is WAY better than he actually is, and the start to the season didn't do him any favors in that regard (filled his head with smoke, pun intended). I think he will declare, with the idea that at worst he will get a G-League contract. I don't think he will even get that, and will end up overseas somewhere. Does Amsterdam have a league?
GE
AG
_lefraud_ said:

SWAGBOT said:

I think Hogg thinks he is WAY better than he actually is, and the start to the season didn't do him any favors in that regard (filled his head with smoke, pun intended). I think he will declare, with the idea that at worst he will get a G-League contract. I don't think he will even get that, and will end up overseas somewhere. Does Amsterdam have a league?
This is why I think he stays. Probably thinks he will get back on actual draft boards if they can just see him play again and have a great year. And if he did have a great senior year he would be right.
_lefraud_
AG
The NBA knows how good he is (or isn't). There is no room for an nonathletic, streaky shooter that can't guard anyone on a NBA roster.
Method Man
If he worked like Middleton he could make it even if he's slow. He is a soft lazy player.
AggieDad74
Davis is trainable for the pros and would be an added asset for some team! Some of the others will apply for the NBA draft, with Williams and Davis the most likely to go!

I can't see A&M coughing up another 4.5 Mil buyout now that they've totally paid Sumlin off and are in the process of paying through the nose for Jimbo and staff.

If they can indeed afford to unload BK, then there truly must be an existence of the "First National Bank of A&M" where buyouts are made just as easily as is cashing customers checks!

No other Tier One HC seems remotely interested in coming here ~ not without a long-term contract with a hefty salary, and with a more than hefty buyout clause!
Double Diamond
Davis is interesting. Not much of a rim protector. Not very athletic. Works hard and has good post moves. Not a great rebounder. Not much of an outside shot. Though I could see with better coaching improving this.
Aston04
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Inca said:

Completely forgot about Nebo, thanks.

I guess I could see Davis leaving if Kennedy IS NOT retained...but I don't think it is likely that Davis will leave either way.
I would guess the opposite. Deep down these guys know BK is not a strong coach, even if they may have a bond with him.
SWAGBOT
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

There are hundreds of pro basketball leagues between the best (nba) and worst (Lithuanian 3rd tier).

The BBB league thing was a joke. Most college players aren't going to leave after their junior year to play overseas. Hogg will be here next year. I'll take anyone's bet for any amount of money.
Double Diamond
For players who " have a bond " with Kennedy they don't play hard or act like they care both on and off the court.
Double Diamond
Players leave all the time for this.
Double Diamond
Does Hogg act like someone who wants to be here?
Harry Dunne
Inca said:

Exactly. Davis has no reason to come back for another year of this crap unless we hire a new coach who can help him become a more NBA-ready player his senior year.

What an inexcusable waste of talent this year has been.

FIFY
Method Man
We don't need a Tier One coach. We need a good coach.
Method Man
Oh and since y'all kept Kennedy after year three we have passed on Stansbury, Avery, and Buzz among others but those were guys we could have had.
Harry Dunne
_lefraud_ said:

The NBA knows how good he is (or isn't). There is no room for an nonathletic, streaky shooter that can't guard anyone on a NBA roster.

Ever heard of Kyle Korver?

The streaky part is right but of all of those things that seems like what could be improved the most. Indon't see any indication that it will happen, but to say he doesn't have the tools to be a spot up 3 pt shooter in the NBA, I don't agree with that.
_lefraud_
AG
One comparable might be Tyler Hansbrough. He was a low lottery pick after four amazing college years and spent the majority of his seven years in the league as a reserve.

Another comparable is Mike Sweetney, a lottery pick (bust) who spent a few years in the league before putting on a ton of weight.

I'm not sure either help the case for Davis to leave early and get drafted. But I think he'll get a shot at the league, if he stays in shape.
_lefraud_
AG
Harry Dunne said:

_lefraud_ said:

Ever heard of Kyle Korver?

The streaky part is right but of all of those things that seems like what could be improved the most. Indon't see any indication that it will happen, but to say he doesn't have the tools to be a spot up 3 pt shooter in the NBA, I don't agree with that.

Hogg is sitting at 36% from the arc on 359 attempts

Korver shot 45% from the arc on 819 attempts
Harry Dunne
Never said Korver was streaky. Hogg was over 40% pretty recently... obviously thats the streaky part. A better comparable is probably Josh Carter, who obv. did not make it in the NBA.

I'm just saying he's not so far away that with some hard work he couldn't have an NBA career. And like I said, the indication that the hard work will happen is not there. I just disagree that he doesn't have the tools to play in the NBA and I'll leave it at that.
JJxvi
AG
_lefraud_ said:

One comparable might be Tyler Hansbrough. He was a low lottery pick after four amazing college years and spent the majority of his seven years in the league as a reserve.

Another comparable is Mike Sweetney, a lottery pick (bust) who spent a few years in the league before putting on a ton of weight.

I'm not sure either help the case for Davis to leave early and get drafted. But I think he'll get a shot at the league, if he stays in shape.
Pattrick Patterson?
_lefraud_
AG
Edited, I missed the "streaky" part. I'm just not sure Hogg is really all that "talented" when it comes to shooting. If he was 6'5, we wouldn't even be having a discussion about him play pro ball.
_lefraud_
AG
JJxvi said:

_lefraud_ said:

Pattrick Patterson?

That's a pretty decent comparable, especially college. I watched a ton of Patterson at UK, and he is a bit more athletic than Tyler, and he was able to defend multiple positions, which is why he's been able to stick around the league...defense.
Double Diamond
Patterson also developed a shot.
Harry Dunne
_lefraud_ said:

Edited, I missed the "streaky" part. I'm just not sure Hogg is really all that "talented" when it comes to shooting. If he was 6'5, we wouldn't even be having a discussion about him play pro ball.

Sure, but you could make that same 6'5"
argument with Korver, Ryan Anderson...Matt BullardAnybody who fits that profile.

People like to think of talent strictly as ability, but being able to (potentially) shoot 40% from three point range and being able to (potentially) guard NBA fours is a rare "talent".

GE
AG
Here is something I posted on another thread that addresses this comprehensively.

Recruiting needs to always be evaluated in context of roster needs. If everyone who SHOULD return does return (everyone but Williams, Trocha, and Wilson), there isn't an absolutely critical need left in the 2018 class since Nebo is coming in to backfill for Trocha/Williams and Jasey and Walker are waiting in the wings.

That all being said, there are a couple important needs that we must fill in 2018 or 2019 recruiting class or else the '19/20 team is in MAJOR trouble.

Need #1: high quality big man. True center to replace Davis after next season. Maybe Jasey as an acceptable stop-gap until the guy is ready to take over but he MUST be added by '19.

Need #2: TWO good outside shooters, whether guards, small forwards or stretch 4s. Absolutely must land at least two good outside shooters to replace Gilder and Hogg after next year. Maybe Jones is one of those guys and maybe one of the fish becomes a quality outside shooter, but the safest bet is always to recruit guys like Hogg and Gilder who are already good players and great shooters.

Need #3: one guard (either PG or SG). Can be a bit of a development project if landed in '18, needs to be as game ready as the current fish if landed in '19. Maybe Sahvir Wheeler is that guy, I haven't seen an update on him in quite some time.

Overall, between Flagg, Caldwell, Chandler, Starks, and Jones, we have a great base to build on at the 1-3 spots. 4 and 5 spots start getting iffy after this season, get iffier after next season, and get downright scary after the following season.

2018/2019:
PG: Caldwell
PG/SG: Starks
SG: Gilder, Chandler
SG/SF: Jones
SF: Flagg
SF/PF: Hogg
PF: Nebo, Walker (expect to see a good amount of Hogg playing 4)
C: Davis, Jasey

Room for two more in total.

2019/2020:
PG: Caldwell/Wheeler
SG: Chandler
PF: Nebo, Walker
C: Jasey

Room for four more in total

2020/2021:
PG: Caldwell/Wheeler
PF: Walker
C: Jasey

Room for 6 more in total.

2021/2022:
PG: Wheeler
PG/SG:
SF:
PF: Walker
C:

Room for errrrbody.
Double Diamond
I couldn't disagree more.
MarcAg
AG
That honestly is a really talented roster next year. If we had a different coach that is a lot to work with. However that coach has to have a monster recruiting year in 2019 with post players. Instant impact guys
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.