so who is responsible for this?

2,862 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Method Man
Steeple
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aggie basketball was in as good a place as it had been in a long time after the 15-16 season. Perfect time to ask BK to gracefully exit and slide Stansbury in as HC. For anyone paying attention, this was a tailor made setup.

Instead, someone rolled the dice on BK and caused a mass exodus of our coaching staff leaving only Amir and Darby behind. And in the process, gambled that BK could sustain and build on that success.

A terrible terrible risk/reward decision that was heavily discussed at the time. This is not simply looking back with the benefit of time.

So who steps up and owns this decision? Because this is a very very costly setback to this program. And now we have to climb out of a deeper hole as maybe the 4th or 5th best program in that state now. But with
Old Main
AG
I think there was a handshake deal for Stansbury to take over, but BK reneged on the deal.

The deal should have been in writing... lesson learned.
jml2621
Old Main said:

I think there was a handshake deal for Stansbury to take over, but BK reneged on the deal.

Ozamataz Buckshank 01
AG
The big question is how the Athletic Department's cash flow is due to the Sumlin buyout, massive football stadium renovation, and Fisher contract. Is there enough money to buyout BK's contract and make a big hire.
Aston04
AG
Old Main said:

The deal should have been in writing... lesson learned.
It makes sense. Why else would Rick join an otherwise sinking ship (and we were after year 3)? That's the thing about BK, he's not a good of guy or care about our program. It's all about him. Rick helped save BK's coaching reputation and BK thanks him by going back on his word- now that Rick had helped the team back on track.
millertime40
WWC2001 said:

The big question is how the Athletic Department's cash flow is due to the Sumlin buyout, massive football stadium renovation, and Fisher contract. Is there enough money to buyout BK's contract and make a big hire.
We dont need a big hire, I will do the job for free, and I can guarantee you I will do a better job than Kennedy
Thymes
Well, at least those of you who are advocating the firing of Gary Blair have a more important priority now.
Deputy Travis Junior
Thymes said:

Well, at least those of you who are advocating the firing of Gary Blair have a more important priority now.

Why would anybody want to fire Gary Blair?
johnnyblaze36
AG
Deputy Travis Junior said:

Thymes said:

^This. I've never heard such a thing in this town or on here. If anything hell let's just have Blair and Kennedy swap squads and see what happens from here on out.
Captain Pablo
AG
WWC2001 said:

Shouldn't be in a position where it is financially stressful to fire Billy Kennedy

Thanks, boosters

Player To Be Named Later
AG
Old Main said:

That CAN'T be true. Kennedy is a super swell, church going, Christian man. He'd NEVER do anything like that

Player To Be Named Later
AG
WWC2001 said:

At this point, I don't care if we make a "big hire" just so long as we hire someone new and can Kennedy.
A&M Chopper
AG
2016 UNI team
Rebel96
AG
Give Blair BK salary and have him coach the men's team as well.
Method Man
Because he's not recruiting like he was and Aggie Vic is obviously better. He hasn't been bad.
GE
AG
Steeple said:

Aggie basketball was in as good a place as it had been in a long time after the 15-16 season. Perfect time to ask BK to gracefully exit and slide Stansbury in as HC. For anyone paying attention, this was a tailor made setup.

Instead, someone rolled the dice on BK and caused a mass exodus of our coaching staff leaving only Amir and Darby behind. And in the process, gambled that BK could sustain and build on that success.

A terrible terrible risk/reward decision that was heavily discussed at the time. This is not simply looking back with the benefit of time.

So who steps up and owns this decision? Because this is a very very costly setback to this program. And now we have to climb out of a deeper hole as maybe the 4th or 5th best program in that state now. But with
I don't think rolling the dice on BK is what caused the "mass exodus". Being offered the SFA head job was a no-brainer for Keller. WKU head job made sense for Rick if Kennedy wanted to stick around.

As far as Billy himself goes, it takes major cajones to fire a coach who just had the winningest season in school history and first conference title in a long time.

The time to do would have been after missing the tournament in '14/'15 with an amazing recruiting class coming in.
Steeple
Fired could have been "reassigned" with a graceful transition to Stansbury. Someone made the bet that they would rather have BK than Stansbury and now we all have to live with the results of that poor decision.
biobioprof
johnnyblaze36 said:

Deputy Travis Junior said:

Thymes said:

^This. I've never heard such a thing in this town or on here. If anything hell let's just have Blair and Kennedy swap squads and see what happens from here on out.
There's always someone.

Some were calling for Coach G to be fired a couple of years before Soccer made the College Cup. I think one resurfaced when we got knocked out this season.
Method Man
Childress and G are very good but will never win a title. If you're ok with really good to great results but no national titles they're the way to go. You can't fire either. They're way too good.

BK is different. He's the worst coach on campus.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.