Friday fun thread (wild coach speculation)...

2,022 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man, that's a solid, well thought-out list.
John Pugliese
Add Chris Mack to my first list, Mack is a guy everyone in the country has on their call list when a job opens. Unfortunately for all the schools that call him, he is coaching at his alma mater and is at a basketball school in a basketball conference. Xavier makes a run every year in the NCAA Tournament and continues to reload his program. It would take really big $ to get him to flip.

Don't forget about Tom Crean, someone is going to hire him, who has had really good runs at both Marquette and Indiana. Most of his ties are to the midwest, but as a HM coach, he's been able to recruit the country very well.
-John Pugliese
@johnpugliese
Sin City Resident
expresswrittenconsent
Crean seems to want uconn. He is right there in Bristol on tv auditioning.
bobinator
AG
Chris Mack is a bit like Pat Fitzgerald in football to me. I have a hard time seeing him leave his alma mater, but you never know what the goals of a guy really are.

I think there are a lot of midmajor guys we could discuss, I kind of figured the point of this thread would be just discussing top tier coaches and which ones you could actually see leaving (for whatever unlikely reason.)

What mid-major coaches we like is kind of a different discussion, but I agree with some of the ones you posted.
Deputy Travis Junior
Mikeyshooter said:

Dana Altman, Kelvin Sampson, Tony Bennett, Buzz.
He's 91. Probably a little late for a career change into basketball coaching.
94chem
Frank Martin? 51 years old. Was he hired by Hyman?

And which one of you clowns wrote Hyman's Wiki page???

Hyman on wiki

"While generally athletic directors are evaluated using a variety of success metrics relating to athletic and academic performance of student athletes, Hyman views his role as one of "managing expectations", encouraging decisionmakers to accept a lower level of success."
John Pugliese
I would say Chris Mack is every AD's unicorn...I am not sure I see him leaving Xavier, but if the price is right, you never know. He is a guy who gets a lot of attention in the coaching rumors world, but like you, I'm not sure he ever leaves. He's also seen a lot more success than Pat Fitzgerald, but agree with your point in theory, hard to leave your alma mater.

I think the MM coaches that I brought up would be names a lot of HM's look at and some of the more successful ones who are ready to take the next step. Otzeberger and Dooley have HM experience...would not be shocked to see either one of them scooped up. Grant is a Marshall clone and is having success, not sure he is ready for a HM, but if C of C makes a run, it's not out of the question. I'd say the guys that I mentioned would be considered top tier available guys.

I am not sure Crean fits at UCONN, the east coast is a different beast, you have to be able to talk to the talk. Calhoun and Crean could not be any more different in terms of personality. Ollie getting fired would be a shake up to the program. I don't think Crean is in "audition" mode for anyone. Him being in Bristol is pure coincidence. Best thing he did was take a year off from coaching rather than jump into a job that isn't the right fit. I actually see Crean as a fit at Louisville potentially, in addition to both Billy Donovan and UK's Kenny Payne.
-John Pugliese
@johnpugliese
Sin City Resident
bobinator
AG
Louisville fans would riot (unless the NCAA absolutely hammers them)
John Pugliese
Whoever Indiana hires is going to have to be CLEAN as a whistle. Tom Crean is. Indiana fans can be angry that he didn't win a National Championship (even though that ship has sailed), but he went to 3, Sweet 16's and took over a program that was in shambles thanks to Coach Sampson and "text gate" (his overall record at Indiana is not a representation of how strong of a program he built). Tom Crean recruited pros. NBA caliber players who played in March.

I know it didn't end great, 18-16 and a NIT bid, but they were a year removed from the Sweet 16 for the 3rd time.

-John Pugliese
@johnpugliese
Sin City Resident
bobinator
AG
Yeah, I'm not saying they should riot, just that they would.

I floated Crean on a thread a week ago. Good coach, especially at building back up a program. But Pitino was the highest paid coach in the game.

Now, if the NCAA absolutely nukes them or something, then they'll just to deal with it. But I think most Louisville fans have their sights set higher.
_lefraud_
AG
I don't really see what the NCAA would do. Most everyone responsible is already gone. Don't punish the current players, students, and fans for other people's mistakes. Maybe the NCAA should tell them to drop Adidas, but again, that would directly impact other programs on campus.

With that said, Louisville won't be hiring Kenny Payne. They'll get someone with head coaching experience.
bobinator
AG
_lefraud_ said:

I don't really see what the NCAA would do. Most everyone responsible is already gone. Don't punish the current players, students, and fans for other people's mistakes.
But that's what they always do. It's always the people that come after that have to deal with the fallout.
basic8
bobinator said:

I do agree it's a bit odd that Altman has managed to skate through this relatively unharmed.
I agree....so far.
John Pugliese
Thought this article I wrote for lockdraft.com was relevant to this discussion.

This is a statistical analysis of the assistant coaches in the country who are most ready to run their own college basketball program. Next Man Up-Which Assistant is Next. The SEC has a few guys who make the cut including A&M's very own Amir Abdur-Rahim at #28.

In reference to UK's Kenny Payne and Louisville, he will very much be in discussion for the job, whether or not he gets it will be another story. Not only did Payne win a National Championship at Louisville in 1986, but he played in the NBA and has been a high major assistant for 14 years at Oregon and UK. In 2012 he met with Mississippi State about their opening, but was only in year 2 at UK with Cal. He's ready for a job...his alma mater is going to need some goodwill among their fans...don't be surprised to hear him linked to this job with him being a favorite among the alumni base.
-John Pugliese
@johnpugliese
Sin City Resident
Double Diamond
One of the directional Kentucky schools has an interesting young coach.
LawHall88
AG
Woodward has never hired a men's basketball coach. Never.

He loved Lorenzo Romar, who would jump at the opportunity to be a head coach at any Big 5 school.

So...

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.