Friday fun thread (wild coach speculation)...

2,048 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LawHall88
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just for fun, who are the college basketball coaches that are considered great coaches that you wouldn't be surprised if they ended up somewhere else relatively soon? Not necessarily here, but coaches that if you were an AD with a lot of resources, you might give a call despite how crazy it might seem on the surface.

As an example, a guy I was thinking about recently was Jay Wright. I wonder if he could be lured away from Nova for the right situation.
_lefraud_
AG
Bill Self
bobinator
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Bill Self
Interesting... any particular reason?
_lefraud_
AG
Lon Kruger - The longest he has ever spent in one place is 7 seasons. He is currently in his 7th season at Oklahoma. He has taken 5 different programs to the NCAA tournament, does he have it in him to try for a 6th at age 65?
GrayMatter
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Lon Kruger - The longest he has ever spent in one place is 7 seasons. He is currently in his 7th season at Oklahoma. He has taken 5 different programs to the NCAA tournament, does he have it in him to try for a 6th at age 65?
That all depends on what Trae Young decides. He says he'll stay for multiple years, but the allure of the NBA might say otherwise.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
_lefraud_
AG
bobinator said:

_lefraud_ said:

Bill Self
Interesting... any particular reason?
Even though he is at Kansas, I don't see him in the same light as Roy Williams or Mike Krzyzewski. For one, Self is still much younger (55) than both Williams (67) and Krzyzewski (70). I'm also not sure how much the Kansas fans endure him. Pure speculation of course, they may love him, and he may love being there. But if an AD picked up the phone and were to offer him say, 6 or 7 million a year, I think he would definitely listen. Especially, if it were in a more desirable place to live than Lawrence, KS.
Electric
AG
I agree with Lon Kruger. He know how to coach talent
GrayMatter
AG
off the top of my head, Billy Donovan. I'm wondering if his NBA experiment is ending and wants to coach in college again.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Billy Kennedy
bobinator
AG
AggieBaller98 said:

off the top of my head, Billy Donovan. I'm wondering if his NBA experiment is ending and wants to coach in college again.
Yeah, I hadn't really considered Donovan in this discussion but I guess he fits. I had always assumed he'd have to get fired by the Thunder before moving on but if he sees the axe coming he might jump early.
Method Man
Kelvin Sampson
bobinator
AG
Method Man said:

Kelvin Sampson
Sampson seemed to really win back a lot of people after the way he handled the hurricane. He's probably a good bet to end up somewhere else pretty soon for sure.

He is getting up there a little bit at age 62.
Double Diamond
Jay Wright isn't ever gonna coach in the state of Texas. The man's a east coast basketball guy. It's Nova the rest of the way slight chance NBA.
bobinator
AG
I don't think he would coach in Texas either, that's not really the point I was trying to get at with the thread, most of just a general discussion of if any of the top tier of college basketball coaches could move.

I bring up Wright because he's obviously one of the best coaches in the game, but unlike K, Williams, Cal or Self, I could actually see him moving somewhere that might seem surprising. Maryland reportedly made a run at him last time, but didn't hire him.

If that job comes open again do they try again? Could he be in play for Syracuse when Boeheim finally hangs 'em up?

He's probably the best coach in college basketball that I could see leaving the job he's at. Gregg Marshall is another one, but he's obviously pretty particular about what his next job will be.
Double Diamond
Bill Self will go to Oklahoma State if he ever leaves Kansas but stays in college. I think Self goes to the NBA.
Double Diamond
Why in the world do you think Wright would leave? He is a Philly guy. Loves Villanova.
Double Diamond
Need to be looking at midmajor guys. So many good ones out there.
bobinator
AG
For one, he isn't paid a whole lot by Villanova. He makes $2.5 Mil, which isn't even top ten in college basketball. Two, he's already won a national title there, and he's fairly young (compared to other guys that have won national titles) so I could see him trying to take on a new challenge at some point.

He might not ever leave Nova, I just think it's possible. I put "wild coach speculation" in the thread title...
bobinator
AG
Double Diamond said:

Need to be looking at midmajor guys. So many good ones out there.
This wasn't meant to be a "who would we hire" thread. That's a completely different question.
Double Diamond
Jay Wright is 56.
expresswrittenconsent
bobinator said:

I don't think he would coach in Texas either, that's not really the point I was trying to get at with the thread, most of just a general discussion of if any of the top tier of college basketball coaches could move.

I bring up Wright because he's obviously one of the best coaches in the game, but unlike K, Williams, Cal or Self, I could actually see him moving somewhere that might seem surprising. Maryland reportedly made a run at him last time, but didn't hire him.

If that job comes open again do they try again? Could he be in play for Syracuse when Boeheim finally hangs 'em up?

He's probably the best coach in college basketball that I could see leaving the job he's at. Gregg Marshall is another one, but he's obviously pretty particular about what his next job will be.

Does Syracuse even get a big name when Boeheim retires? Upstate NY is kind of a sheethole.
To your Gregg Marshall point, what job has to open for Marshall to leave the wheat shockers?
bobinator
AG
And Boeheim is 72, K is 70, Williams is 67...

I didn't say he was young, I said he was fairly young compared to other guys who have won national titles. He still has a lot of career left (if he wants to.)

Do you have anyone you think fits the bill to the question I posed, or are you just trying to poke holes in the people that have been brought up? Obviously, the entire idea of this thread is that it's pretty unlikely that most of these guys would change jobs, so you don't need to be a rocket scientist to point out why there are good reasons they might not change jobs.
bobinator
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Does Syracuse even get a big name when Blenheim retires? Upstate NY is kind of a sheethole.
To your Gregg Marshall point, what job has to open for Marshall to leave the wheat shockers?
I'd think that job would attract someone pretty good, but it might not be as attractive a job as it would have been a decade ago. Especially with Syracuse in the ACC now.

Marshall is hard to figure out, because there have been some jobs that seem like they'd be what he's looking for (This is all speculation, but I'd think he'd like a job with great pay, good facilities/access to players, but not a bright spotlight of media attention if he can avoid it.)

I really thought LSU and Texas would have a chance. Texas seemed to like Smart more, but I dunno what sort of conversations might have been had there.
Double Diamond
Syracuse isn't that good a job.
Double Diamond
I don't think Marshall ever leaves. Rubs the bigger jobs wrong and anything like Alabama type isn't as good as WSU.
Mikeyshooter
AG
Dana Altman, Kelvin Sampson, Tony Bennett, Buzz.
bobinator
AG
I think Altman is an interesting one, because Oregon's pockets in the new arena era haven't really been tested yet. I wonder what number they'd be willing to match.
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

Just for fun, who are the college basketball coaches that are considered great coaches that you wouldn't be surprised if they ended up somewhere else relatively soon? Not necessarily here, but coaches that if you were an AD with a lot of resources, you might give a call despite how crazy it might seem on the surface.

As an example, a guy I was thinking about recently was Jay Wright. I wonder if he could be lured away from Nova for the right situation.

Could Florida keep Mike White if a basketball school comes calling? They did a great job retaining Donovan, but each coach is different.
DogCompany74
AG
Donovan to Louisville.
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
_lefraud_
AG
DogCompany74 said:

Donovan to Louisville.

This would be greatness. I'd love to watch Big Blue Nation go crazy.
bobinator
AG
DogCompany74 said:

Donovan to Louisville.
I could see this happening for sure, but you'd think anyone truly elite would want to know what the NCAA is going to do to that program first right?
Double Diamond
Want to talk about coaches with dirt. Altman has some explaining to do with sexual assaults. Phone records show he knew more. I have no idea why there isn't heat to remove him.
bobinator
AG
I do agree it's a bit odd that Altman has managed to skate through this relatively unharmed.
John Pugliese
Just for fun...I don't think Coach Kennedy and his will be let go...but here are my thoughts.

HM/NBA Head Coaches
Maybe Billy Donovan as it looks like his shot in the NBA is going to come to a screeching halt, especially if the Thunder don't make a run or they aren't able to resign Melo or Paul George. I think he is probably a top target of Louisville, as mentioned above.

Buzz Williams would be a hot name as its about time for him to move on from Virginia Tech, just like he did at Marquette. A football school similar to A&M, the Aggies have a lot more at their disposal this time around to hire a high level coach. Buzz has obviously spent time in Aggieland...might be a fit if the admin is willing to pay.

Eric Musselman has turned Nevada into Transfer U and has been able to sustain it over the past couple years with some high level teams. Should return to the NCAA Tournament this year, took over a team that was a dumpster fire when he was hired. Spent some time at LSU, has been in the NBA.

Greg Marshall is going to take big $$$$ and you'll probably be bidding against a few other HM schools for his services. I'm not sure he will be leaving anytime soon, they have taken care of him, are in a new league and in the top 10 in the country. It's a basketball school...he is the king pin.

Andy Enfield might be on his way out of USC because of the FBI investigations. I think the Enfield will come out clear but ready to move on from the circus. Remember, they lost Taeshon Cherry because of the issues with the FBI. He can recruit and doesn't have a home base. Doesn't have much in the way of Texas ties...might not matter.

Mid-Major Head Coaches would probably be A&M's best fit...

College of Charleston Head Coach Earl Grant was Greg Marshall's assistant, plays an exciting style and has his team 13-5, tied for 2nd in the Colonial

Rick Stansbury has skirted NCAA issues multiple times in his career and did have a solid run in the SEC as a head coach. He has some ties to Texas and A&M...not sure his success at WKU is sustainable or if he is the best long term fit at A&M. I know he would be a name that Aggies would be excited about because of his recruiting abilities.

T.J. Otzelberger will be a hot name this year, especially among Midwest HM's that open...especially if Iowa opens up. Otzelberger has been an assistant at Iowa State (the original Transfer U) and Washington. South Dakota State has a chance to not only win the league but also a game in the Tournament. HM experience is a huge plus with this one although the SEC is a whole new beast.

Joe Dooley at Florida Gulf Coast has taken FGCU to the post season (2x NCAA, 1 NIT, 1 CIT) in each year he has been the head coach. Dooley is a former KU assistant to Bill Self and is probably on everyones short list. This is year 5 and probably his best team yet.

Other interesting names would be guys like Kelvin Sampson, Danny Hurley (not sure how long Rhode Island will be able to keep him to themselves) and Lon Krueger (not sure he leaves at this point even though Trae Young might help him get another job...I think he rides into the sunset in Norman instead of looking for another job).
-John Pugliese
@johnpugliese
Sin City Resident
John Pugliese
& just to be clear...

Bill Self
Jay Wright

Not going anywhere
-John Pugliese
@johnpugliese
Sin City Resident
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.