Alex Robinson Jr

2,475 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Aston04
Maroon Elephant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
17 assists and 8 pts vs Iowa St tonight. Impressive game for the former Aggie.
TXAggie2011
AG
He's a good player. Maybe we will see him and TCU in the NCAA Tournament.
Coward Jimbo
AG
It's too bad BK ran him off. Gonna do the same to Starks.
GE
AG
Wish we had him.
Deputy Travis Junior
17 assists to 1 turnover is a great ****ing game.
Uncle Jimbo
Much like Starks, he was way too assertive on the offensive end.
mikesyracuse1
Robinson is going to be getting a lot more minutes. Jaylen Fisher May be out for the year.
http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/mens-basketball/article195153944.html

Mikesyracuse1
Gap
AG
Robinson has a lot of upside but seemed to regress this year. He started last year but had only started 5 of TCU's 17 games this year going into tonight. His shooting percentages have fallen of in every category this year. Looks like he will get his chance again if Fisher is out.

38% FG
27% 3PT
57% FT
txag72
AG
His minutes weren't down that much. Every game i saw, he was in the game at the end. Worst legitimate mistake in BK rein.
Mike Elko
AG
Gap said:

Robinson has a lot of upside but seemed to regress this year. He started last year but had only started 5 of TCU's 17 games this year going into tonight. His shooting percentages have fallen of in every category this year. Looks like he will get his chance again if Fisher is out.

38% FG
27% 3PT
57% FT
Once an Aggie, always an Aggie.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
GE said:

Wish we had him.
did nothing when here!
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
GE
AG
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

GE said:

Wish we had him.
did nothing when here!
As a freshman. Certainly would have been a better option than anything we had last season at point guard.
mhayden
We likely make the tournament with him here last year.

We don't go into a complete free-fall when Gilder goes out with him here this year.

Now, chances are he would have left for greener pastures with the roster/playing-time situation, but we definitely could have used him.

bobinator
AG
GE said:

As a freshman. Certainly would have been a better option than anything we had last season at point guard.
How much faith do we have that Alternate Timeline Alex Robinson is nearly as good as plays-for-Jamie-Dixon Alex Robinson?
waltonhall95
AG
< TCU version but
> Collins and Caldwell
mhayden
Yeah, A-Rob coulda been 70% of the player he was last year and still would have been a pretty hefty upgrade for us.
94chem
Should have played last year without a PG, but Kennedy doubled down on his first mistake by giving ridiculous minutes to his 14th best player just so he could have a "PG" on the floor.
Method Man
Not much since most don't improve under BK.
Know Your Enemy
AG
94chem
That's just called dinner in France.
CapCityAg89
AG
I think this is definitely a case of "we have no idea what happened so we fit the narrative to our perception". My perception is that BK is a decent coach who lacks the ability to run a top 16 program. But I also don't think he's an idiot or completely incompetent as some here feel.

I think he saw ARob as not being much help as a fourth guard behind AC, Collins, and Gilder. I think Alex at that point in his maturation, thought he was a starter. BK offered him a "transfer season" internally (redshirt) to avoid burning a year of eligibility as the 8th or 9th guy off the bench and Alex (maybe rightly) saw that as insulting.

Billy could've undoubtedly handled the coaching and communication better but I don't know that it would've mattered. TCU was probably showing him love and that made the difference. If Billy had skins on the wall it likely would've helped but telling a kid "you're not good enough for next year, but I know you can get better and I need you after these guys graduate" is a tough sell.
expresswrittenconsent
I dont think TCU was recruiting him to transfer while he was a fish at A&M.
I think it also looks pretty poor on Kennedy that he dumped a kid with 3yrs left for 1yr of Anthony Collins considering that Kennedy spent his terrible 2nd and 3rd years here making excuses telling the fans "we just need a pg, and a rob is that guy" after both of those seasons.
mhayden
CapCityAg89 said:

I think this is definitely a case of "we have no idea what happened so we fit the narrative to our perception". My perception is that BK is a decent coach who lacks the ability to run a top 16 program. But I also don't think he's an idiot or completely incompetent as some here feel.

I think he saw ARob as not being much help as a fourth guard behind AC, Collins, and Gilder. I think Alex at that point in his maturation, thought he was a starter. BK offered him a "transfer season" internally (redshirt) to avoid burning a year of eligibility as the 8th or 9th guy off the bench and Alex (maybe rightly) saw that as insulting.

Billy could've undoubtedly handled the coaching and communication better but I don't know that it would've mattered. TCU was probably showing him love and that made the difference. If Billy had skins on the wall it likely would've helped but telling a kid "you're not good enough for next year, but I know you can get better and I need you after these guys graduate" is a tough sell.

A talented freshman that gets 20 minutes a game that is then asked to "redshirt" his sophomore season so you can go out and pickup a senior transfer guard with experience is exactly what it looked like -- a coach knowing that he had to "win now" and sacrificing the future for it.

As it turns out, that senior transfer guard put up #'s that likely weren't any better than what Robinson would have given as a sophomore (Collins - 4.5pts/game, 4.2/1.4 turnover ratio... #'s that Robinson easily surpassed his junior and senior years).

So at best you had an even swap in production, and you sacrificed a point-guard-less '16-'17 for it... and probably a game or two this year where Robinson would have received plenty of playing time with Gilder out (like he received now that TCU's PG went out... 8pts, 17 assists, 1 turnover last night).

About the only card you could possibly play is that Kennedy felt it was an attitude issue with Robinson. Which could/would be valid... except it certainly appears Kennedy has a lot of those issues with his players. What's the saying? If you meet a kid with an attitude issue in the morning, you met a kid with an attitude issue. If you meet kids with attitude issues all day, then you probably aren't cut out to be a college coach that relies heavily on under-classmen studs.
CapCityAg89
AG
There's a ton of hindsight in that post. And I don't disagree Kennedy felt he had to win then - I believe that too. I'm guessing if he had hindsight, BK would not have made the decision he did. But without that 20/20, he was picking up a point guard who could mentor a young kid and provide the same leadership he provided to another tournament team.

I'd love to have senior ARob on this team (and the junior on last year's) but it is what it is. Billy f-ed it up. But it happens when you make decisions some times and I struggle to not think his logic at the time was correct.
_lefraud_
AG
I remember watching Robinson play 35+ min against #1Kentucky his freshman year. He looked legit going against the Harrison twins. Ags lost in OT to that UK squad that went 38-1, and Robinson was a huge reason why. He finished the season with 21 points (career high) vs LaTech in the NIT. And then a few months later was asked to redshirt (basically leave).

Even if it was an attitude/maturity problem, it just was more evidence against Kennedy's inability to manage a roster. Robinson's handling gets swept under the rug because of the 2016 season, but man, here was the PG of the future, he proved he could play against the big boys...but was shown the door because he couldn't be managed?

7 years into this thing, and I'm still trying to figure out what Billy Kennedy brings to the table...
GE
AG
bobinator said:

GE said:

How much faith do we have that Alternate Timeline Alex Robinson is nearly as good as plays-for-Jamie-Dixon Alex Robinson?
Alternate timeline Alex that was halfway between Jamie Dixon Robinson and true freshman Alex Robinson would have been the best option by far to run the point last year. Not sure i would trade any version of him for Wilson though he would be the #2
jml2621
Uncle Jimbo said:

Much like Starks, he was way too assertive on the offensive end.

Starks is not and never will be a PG. ARob is...
jml2621
GE said:

bobinator said:

GE said:

Alternate timeline Alex that was halfway between Jamie Dixon Robinson and true freshman Alex Robinson would have been the best option by far to run the point last year. Not sure i would trade any version of him for Wilson though he would be the #2
Wilson is a better defender and scorer off the dribble. ARob is a better PG now.

One thing - we can't assume ARob would have developed as much here as a PG. Here are the number of PGs BK has developed since arriving in College Station:

jml2621
94chem said:

That's just called dinner in France.

An effective tenderizing technique.
GE
AG
jml2621 said:

GE said:

bobinator said:

GE said:

Wilson is a better defender and scorer off the dribble. ARob is a better PG now.

One thing - we can't assume ARob would have developed as much here as a PG. Here are the number of PGs BK has developed since arriving in College Station:

Is ARob a better PG now? He has 1 more assist per 40 minutes played and 6 less points. Sportsreference puts Arobs offensive rating below Wilson's
txag72
AG
If there's one thing I've learned about all those numbers ratings it's that they don't clearly depict what is going on on the court. See Hogg. They are called "intangibles" for a reason.
Aston04
AG
Quote:

About the only card you could possibly play is that Kennedy felt it was an attitude issue with Robinson. Which could/would be valid... except it certainly appears Kennedy has a lot of those issues with his players. What's the saying? If you meet a kid with an attitude issue in the morning, you met a kid with an attitude issue. If you meet kids with attitude issues all day, then you probably aren't cut out to be a college coach that relies heavily on under-classmen studs
exactly.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.