How did we get outrebounded?

2,125 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Texags Meltdown
Electric
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Damn. Hopefully this will give the team some confidence
txaggieacct85
AG
front court standing around except for Tyler Davis
3rdGen2015
AG
I'm seeing that we won the rebounding battle 37-35.

EDIT: not sure why ESPN's box score and the one from The Score app aren't in agreement about this.
Electric
AG
And Davis just said we did a good job on the boards
hoya-ag
AG
We had butter fingers tonight on the defensive rebounding end.
Electric
AG
37-35 even is ridiculous
Aston04
AG
Electric said:

And Davis just said we did a good job on the boards
he did.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Horrible effort and poor technique.
tehmackdaddy
AG
We don't block out well or consistently.

CypressAg09
AG
It doesn't help that we gave up about 5 rebounds because 2 of our guys were fighting for the ball and neither came down with it.
GE
AG
Lot of bad bounces this game.
Ulrich
We're really bad at boxing out. FINISH THE POSSESSION. Offensive rebounds are turnovers.
merch
Coaching
txag72
AG
We've been out rebounded badly the last 2 games. Clean that up and we're close to being home. They were much quicker.
WoodAg
It certainly helped ole miss that the were plus 5 on rebounds off of free throws.
There may have been one or two that we had "butterfingers" on, but the real hands issues was on a ffwnaive end with our bigs.
Lots of turnovers with them mishandling passes
Ulrich
cwood15 said:

It certainly helped ole miss that the were plus 5 on rebounds off of free throws.
There may have been one or two that we had "butterfingers" on, but the real hands issues was on a ffwnaive end with our bigs.
Lots of turnovers with them mishandling passes

Is that Welsh for not boxing out?
EXCELL
This ain't Welsh ...

FUNDAMENTALS
zooguy96
No energy. We didn't seem to want it. Played with low energy and effort for the most part.
Steeple
who would we say coaches the Bigs on the team? i really have no idea. used to be Stansbury.
Method Man
We don't clean it up. Our boxing out is unsound.
GE
AG
Steeple said:

who would we say coaches the Bigs on the team? i really have no idea. used to be Stansbury.
That's what I want to know. What is the division of responsibility between the various coaches?
AggieTFA06
AG
I attribute this to typical Kennedy ball.

Lack of hustle
Lack of energy
Lack of direction
Lack of proper coaching.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
Steeple
Amir has the guards. No idea what Maestri or the others do, other than recruit.
GE
AG
Steeple said:

Amir has the guards. No idea what Maestri or the others do, other than recruit.
I don't think Maestri is allowed to recruit. Think he helps with strategy and whatnot. Surely Chew picked up some valuable stuff from workin g under Buzz for years and Maligi isn't wholly ignorant of how to train players from his time with Lucas.
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
Athletic guy like Williams never had to learn how to block out and finish possessions because on athletic talent alone he would be getting the majority of rebounds and blocking shots. Old habits die hard!!
John Pugliese
Here is my first post to the A&M basketball board, excited to be on with you guys and talk hoops!

First point:
It is important to keep in mind that Ole Miss shot 21 3's, long shots = long rebounds. Long rebounds are often going to be rebounded by your guards, and unfortunately vs Ole Miss besides Duane Wilson (4 rebounds)- Gilder (1), Hogg (3) and Caldwell (1) didn't rebound well.

Second Point:
When playing a zone, which A&M has been playing more and more, you have no block out responsibilities and it can be difficult for a team to rebound when they aren't used to playing zone. I would be shocked, if you went back and looked at the stats, if a majority of the offensive rebounds didn't come when A&M was in their zone. I think zone should be a natural move for the coaching staff and it looks like they agree with how much they have played it, but this team has to get comfortable with how to play within it...it's not easier to play than man to man, that is a completely false statement people like to throw out.

Third Point:
Rob Williams finished with 9 and Tyler Davis finished with 12 (although only 4 were defensive), I don't think it's fair to put them being out rebounded on the two of them. Hogg has to be more aggressive on the defensive end rebounding, as I mentioned above and the guards have to do a better job of coming away with long misses.

Looking forward to getting involved with a lot more of these conversations.

-John Pugliese
@johnpugliese
wacarnolds
AG
nice input John. Hope to hear more from you.
wacarnolds
AG
And I agree that Tyler and Robert are pulling their weight and the backcourt guys need to be more involved in the rebounding effort.

Would also like to shout out (call out?) Tonny. He's grabbing just 10% of all available defensive rebounds in SEC play. That's a 6-10 guy playing half of the available minutes and he's rebounding at the same rate as 6-1 guard JJ Caldwell.

DJ and Savion are both at 13% DReb rate
Admon is at 5%
Wilson is at 9%

wacarnolds
AG
Regarding Robert Williams, I agree that he can always find ways to improve, but even if he's riding along on his god-given athletic talent alone, he's still on pace to have the 2nd highest defensive rebounding rate for an SEC player in the past 15 years. So good technique/effort or bad, he's producing at an extremely high level.
Texags Meltdown
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.