Story Poster
Texas A&M Basketball

1-on-1 with Savion Flagg: On his time at A&M, parental support & more

January 11, 2018

On how much he's enjoying Aggieland...

"Just the culture, everything is great. The coaching staff, the school, the Aggie tradition. Everything from the yells to the academics is just crazy."

On the transition from high school to college...

"Everyone is a lot bigger, faster, quicker. At Alvin the competition wasn't great, so now it's just another step getting better every day pushing myself every day against these great guys at practice. Competing with these guys every day makes me better."

On the potential of the freshman class...

"We can be really good with Chandler, JC, TJ Starks. We just have to keep pushing each other for the future and use the utilites we have with the guys that are here to push us to be better next year."

On growing up with basketball...

"The first time I ever played basketball was in the sixth grade. I got serious with it in seventh grade. I played football all the way until sophomore year, and I got really serious when I got my first basketball offer in tenth grade from Rice."

On growing up as a football player...

"Football was my first love. I played quarterback. Cam Newton was a guy I looked up to. I got my basketball offer first, so that's what sparked it. I said, 'I guess I can do something in this.' It was pretty easy."

On his parents...

"My parents have been supportive of everything. They're always there. They've been to every game. My dad has never missed a game, even when I was out with the eye injury. Both of my parents went to LA and New York, just not Germany."

On what he can do moving forward...

"Just a lot of hard work. Just using these guys and pushing myself every day and keep pushing my teammates because those guys make me better, and if I keep pushing them, they'll make me better."

On the team overcoming SEC struggles...

"Everybody faces a little adversity, and ours is just right now. Arizona lost four to start the season. Florida lost three in a row, so we're just going through that right now. Everyone is coming back so I feel really confident that we'll be good going forward."

On his recruiting process...

"I got my first offer in tenth grade from Rice, then I got a few others from mid-majors, and then Texas A&M was my first big Division I from Coach Stansbury when he was here. After that it started accelerating from there and Coach Kennedy got involved. They told me about everything here, the traditions, the basketball, the academics and just everything like that kept pushing me to get here."

On his visit...

"I came for the Alabama football game, which was pretty crazy. Just riding around the campus, seeing how happy everyone was here. It just felt like a family vibe."

On wearing the Maroon and White...

"Maroon is actually one of my favorite colors, so that wasn't really hard to wear. It's weird because Alvin has the UT orange with the Alabama 'A.'"

Discussion from...

1-on-1 with Savion Flagg: On his time at A&M, parental support & more

6,648 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Papa Joe
Saint Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good interview, every time that I have interacted with Savion, he has seemed like a good dude.

Arizona lost 4 to start the season...Florida dropped three in a row. Worth keeping in mind!
B&MJ66AG
AG
Great interview!
Papa Joe
AG
Gig 'em Savion!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.