Aggies MBB playing in Vancouver (Nov 2018)

8,866 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Hop
VanShowcase
How long do you want to ignore this user?

A great opportunity to follow the Aggies to play in one of North America's best cities (Vancouver, Nov 2018).
Additional tournament and ticket information can be found at www.vanshowcase.com

http://vancouver.dmplocal.com/main/index.php?action=viewsenthtml&id=26931&ids=154f2e0374cd273b1066c72408c59722abdb8119

http://res.cloudinary.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1486505969/clients/vancouverbc/Aerial_Sunset_Vancouver_d3_copy_1bb86ed0-1edc-4cda-841d-0b033ca0bb72.jpg
Donald Glover
AG
Username checks out
Chuck Gay
AG
Nice field. 3 of the 4 teams are top 100 RPI right now.

Texas A&M
Washington
Minnesota
Santa Clara
boboguitar
AG
Establishing that Canadian pipeline.
rollingwoodaggie
Very nice. Vancouver is an awesome city
expresswrittenconsent
Fantastic city. Garbage tourney. Still could be a fun trip.
LawHall88
AG
wacarnolds
AG
LawHall88 said:

Minnesota ended up pretty awful after a 13-3 start and they're losing one of their best players in their SR point guard. Jordan Murphy will be their stud returner, 6-6 PF that averaged a double-double.

Hopefully they improve enough to help our SOS
GE
AG
Too bad Davonte Fitzgerald transferred. Could have played against his old teammates and coaches
Method Man
Draw a line through es as well
CactusThomas
AG
Garbage city, excellent tournament.

Actually pretty crappy tournament. Still could be fun to watch on TV.
TXAggie2011
AG
CactusThomas said:

Garbage city, excellent tournament.

Actually pretty crappy tournament. Still could be fun to watch on TV.
What's wrong with Vancouver?!
Hop
Staff
AG
I think I'm going. I've never been to Vancouver. So why is it garbage?
LawHall88
AG
Beautiful, albeit crowded city. Leans to the left politically. Mayor made a fortune with an organic juice business, if that is any clue on the politics.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Hop
Staff
AG
LawHall88 said:

Beautiful, albeit crowded city. Leans to the left politically. Mayor made a fortune with an organic juice business, if that is any clue on the politics.
I guess I was asking from the perspective of a visitor/tourist. How are the hotel prices in the center of the city? Absolutely crazy or just a little high?
CactusThomas
AG
I was mostly just trying to make an opposite post to ewc's comments as a joke but I do think it's a garbage city - at least it was. Probably haven't been in 20 years but it was very trashy and it's the only place that I have ever been where you see IV drug use in public. So watch out for syringes. They are worse than sea urchins.
LawHall88
AG
Hop said:

LawHall88 said:

I guess I was asking from the perspective of a visitor/tourist. How are the hotel prices in the center of the city? Absolutely crazy or just a little high?
Been awhile, so I'm hesitant to guess, but my suspicion would be high just because it is a popular tourist spot. But, it is a big enough place that you will probably have choices at different price levels depending on how fancy you want to be.
TXAggie2011
AG
Vancouver is expensive. It's on the ocean/sound, it's next to world class mountain resorts. It's an urban area with deliberately higher density development going on.
bobinator
AG
They look pretty normal from a quick search on Hotels.com.
TXAggie2011
AG
I believe I've read in the Economist they have the highest hotel prices on average in Canada. And I do recall Vancouver's cost of living is the highest in North America.

The cost of living thing is very apparent when you're out and about in Vancouver and surrounding areas. Don't expect eating out and things like that to be a bargain.
coldmoose
Guess it has been a while since I was in Vancouver, but my last visit was nice. Visited some nice spots over on Victoria Island.
Acesup
I live in Seattle and visit Vancouver 2-3 times year. I have found it to be beautiful and clean, at least in comparison to Seattle. The "safe" injection sites are confined to one particular area, so you likely won't see random drug use on the streets. The Canadian dollar is weak right now, so it's not that expensive to visit for a weekend. I'll definitely be there to see the Aggies play.
Bayside Tiger Ag
Would the winner of A&M/Minn play the winner of Washington/SantaClara, or would they be bracketed differently with the other 4 men's teams?
Matsui
AG
Was just there last week. Gorgeous place. Exchange rate is great for American dollar. Goes 25% further. Stunning clean city. Much nicer than Seattle.
GE
AG
Is November a ****ty time of year to go there?
wacarnolds
AG
GE said:

Is November a ****ty time of year to go there?

Last time I looked it up, it was like 40s-50s that time of year
rainag78
Some stupidity on here re liberal city. Random street drug use . People you need to get out more. Vancouver is a beautiful city. About 20 percent difference with the dollar so that helps. There are expensive places there for sure. Try air bnb. Great ethnic food if that is your bag. Great park. Stanley park right by downtown to walk . Good music scene. If you like hockey might be able to catch a game there. It is a great visit and it is safer than virtually any large american city. Cleaner than any. The old city area is the only sketchy place place.
coloradoag69
AG
I've been to Vancouver, and I thought it was a great place to visit. We walked and took a carriage ride through the town at night. The parts we visited were beautiful in the sunset and safe. Folks around town were friendly and some were very insightful on the city's history. They suggested places to visit and eat.

I really don't understand the comment about the mayor's politics. He's not your mayor.
CapCityAg89
AG
As a PNW Ag, I signed up for alerts from the tournament. Tickets on sale tomorrow ...
Quote:

Public Ticket Sales Launch - http://ticketstonight.ticketforce.com/eventperformances.asp?evt=3750
Tickets for the men's Whistler Bracket and women's tournament go on public sale on Friday, July 6 at 10 a.m. PT at TicketsTonight.ca.

Men's Tournament Whistler Bracket
Session 2 on Sunday, Nov. 18 (evening games) Washington vs. Santa Clara and Minnesota vs. Texas A&M
Session 4 on Tuesday, Nov. 20 (evening games) Third-Place and Championship games
Ticket prices range from $37.50 CAD to $213 CAD for courtside seats
All-session men's tournament packages (Whistler and Harbour brackets) range from $110-$616 CAD

wacarnolds
AG
So is the format...

Sun 11/18 Washington vs Santa Clara, Minnesota vs A&M

Tues 11/20 Winner vs Winner, Loser vs Loser

?
CapCityAg89
AG
wacarnolds said:

So is the format...

Sun 11/18 Washington vs Santa Clara, Minnesota vs A&M

Tues 11/20 Winner vs Winner, Loser vs Loser

?

It sounded that way. I guess I can post the entire email.
CapCityAg89
AG
This is the part before the ticket info ...

Vancouver Basketball Showcase - http://vanshowcase.com/2018/07/pairings-for-vancouver-showcase-mens-whistler-bracket-announced/
For Immediate Release: July 3, 2018

PAIRINGS FOR VANCOUVER SHOWCASE MEN'S WHISTLER BRACKET ANNOUNCED
Public ticket sales launch July 6 for men's and women's tournaments at the Vancouver Convention Centre

VANCOUVER, B.C. Premium basketball will be back in Vancouver when the Vancouver Showcase tips off with an action-packed doubleheader on the night of Sunday, Nov. 18. The pairings for the Whistler Bracket of the men's tournament will feature Washington vs. Santa Clara and Minnesota vs. Texas A&M in the first-round. The same four teams will be in action on Tuesday, Nov. 20 with a consolation game and championship.

"The four teams of the Whistler Bracket are among the best programs in U.S. college basketball," said David Munro, one of the tournament directors and a former Vancouver Grizzlies staff member. "With only 3,500 seats in the venue, we fully expect sell out crowds on Sunday and Tuesday nights for these games."

The eight-team women's tournament will tip on Thursday, Nov. 22 and feature a bevy of teams that competed in last season's NCAA Tournament. Pac-12 power Oregon State, whom advanced to the Elite Eight, Missouri Valley champion Drake, Conference USA champion Western Kentucky, WCC champion Gonzaga and 2017 NCAA National Champion South Carolina will be among the teams in the field.

"The women's field for the inaugural Vancouver Showcase is second-to-none in terms of talent and quality programs," said Howard Kelsey, co-tournament director and co-founder of the CDN National Teams Alumni Association. "The local fans are going to be able to come see Hall of Fame coaches, championship teams and future pros all at the Vancouver Convention Centre."

The final field and pairings for the men's Harbour Bracket and women's tournament will be announced in the next few weeks.

Public Ticket Sales Launch - http://ticketstonight.ticketforce.com/eventperformances.asp?evt=3750
Mustang1
AG
TV and times:

wacarnolds
AG
Sunday game in the heart of football season isn't ideal but overall it should be a decent opportunity for a tournament championship. Have we ever won one of these things?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.