***Recruiting Thread 2018***

70,483 Views | 301 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aston04
Hop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
OK, I finally got tired of scrolling through to the end for new updates in the old thread that's 1.75 years old. How about we have one running thread for each year? Since the early signing period just ended, here's the new recruiting thread for the rest of 2017 and into 2018.
mdanyc03
AG
If you are going to unilaterally start a new thread, you have to at least include some new information
bobinator
AG
I'm going to post on page one so when I check this thread again during the spring signing period I can act like I was paying attention all along.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Good idea.

I really hope we sign that tall guy with the great shot from that one school.
Pumpkinhead
AG
So is it interesting that 2018 USC commit & PF Taeshon Cherry (whom the Aggies heavily pursued) did not sign a letter of intent with the Trojans during the early signing period?
Wearamaskaggie
AG
He decommitted after all that smoke didn't he?
Pumpkinhead
AG
Ajm1115 said:

No, another one of their 2018 recruits decommitted. Cherry still is a USC commit, but did not sign a letter of intent.

CapCityAg89
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Ajm1115 said:

No, another one of their 2018 recruits decommitted. Cherry still is a USC commit, but did not sign a letter of intent.

This is part of why I don't like to follow recruiting in general and especially BB recruiting - if he's "committed", why didn't he sign at the first opportunity? 'Cause he ain't committed, he's just "really interested and likes them a bunch".
Pumpkinhead
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Ajm1115 said:

This is part of why I don't like to follow recruiting in general and especially BB recruiting - if he's "committed", why didn't he sign at the first opportunity? 'Cause he ain't committed, he's just "really interested and likes them a bunch".
Basketball recruiting is different than football recruiting, in that usually once a hoops recruit commits, it is a done deal and they sign. The recruiting classes are much smaller. Not as flakey as football. This offseason however with the FBI investigation and arrests, has obviously been a bit more unusual than the average.
Hop
Staff
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Ajm1115 said:

That's not this situation. He was going to sign until his recruiting coach at USC was implicated in the FBI investigation. basketball recruits rarely switch unless something like this or a coaching change occurs.
Badace52
AG
Hop... Do you know of any bigs yet that might be on (or need to be on) our radar for the late signing period?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
So do we try to get back in on Cherry?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
mpl35
AG
Put some info on this thread Hop. Who are we targeting?
Pumpkinhead
AG
Badace52 said:

So do we try to get back in on Cherry?
This is the only thing that I could find on info about Cherry when he didn't sign an LOI (from a mod on Trojans hoops board).

Quote:

Taeshon is fully committed to SC. Just has to get a few things worked out.
It is unusual for a committed guy to not sign. If I was a USC hoops fan, I'd certainly be wondering at least a little bit if I was really going to see this guy play for my team.
Method Man
Control freak.
LawHall88
AG
Hop
Staff
AG
Badace52 said:

Hop... Do you know of any bigs yet that might be on (or need to be on) our radar for the late signing period?

The staff will be identifying potential targets through the end of the year and will then start working on these prospects in January. After the early signing period, there were no obvious post targets since all of A&M's targets signed elsewhere in the early signing period. Names will start to emerge over the next 3-4 weeks.
GE
AG
Khavon Moore?
Hop
Staff
AG
GE said:

Khavon Moore?

I know A&M offered last spring and Moore has only taken one visit, so that's a possibility although many schools will be after him.

Plus, while he's 6-8 he's more of a big guard than a post player.
GE
AG
Hop said:

GE said:

Khavon Moore?
I know A&M offered last spring and Moore has only taken one visit, so that's a possibility although many schools will be after him.

Plus, while he's 6-8 he's more of a big guard than a post player.
I saw that too about being a big guard. Was thinking we would need someone like him to back up the small forward position if DJ keeps having the season he has been having
GE
AG
There are still 5 or 6 uncommitted top 100 kids 6'9" or taller. Would something like a final four run put A&M in the discussion for them even if we have had no real previous contact? Would it be too late?
Pumpkinhead
AG
GE said:

There are still 5 or 6 uncommitted top 100 kids 6'9" or taller. Would something like a final four run put A&M in the discussion for them even if we have had no real previous contact? Would it be too late?
Who knows. Maybe. Basketball recruiting doesn't seem as correlated to on-court success as you would think. South Carolina has 0 2018 recruits signed right now despite going to the 2017 Final Four. Personal relationships, perceived playing time and fit, how big a bag the affiliated shoe company dropped...lots of possible factors.

Obviously can't hurt though to have a great season.

Unlike football recruiting, obviously the advantage of hoops recruiting is picking up just one or two of the right guys is more likely to make a major impact.
wacarnolds
AG

6-8 PF out of Seattle. #79 national rank

https://247sports.com/player/jraan-brooks-86004
CapCityAg89
AG
Huh - cool. The WIAA state championships are about 10 miles from my house at the Tacoma Dome in March. I might need to go root for him if he commits.

Total side comment: that tournament is a ton of fun - four rounds over 3 days for two divisions. Just a whole bunch of basketball. I missed last year when J'Raan faced up against Michael Porter and his brother in the 3A final. Really wanted to go, but was out of town.
Pumpkinhead
AG
wacarnolds said:

6-8 PF out of Seattle. #79 national rank

https://247sports.com/player/jraan-brooks-86004
Looks like at least Rahim was on the road visiting him this week.

Looks like local school Washington is definitely working on him, in addition to St. Johns.

Goose
AG
I'm at the Culwell Center in Garland watching Richardson Pearce play Sulphur Springs and who shows up to watch but our man Billy Kennedy.
LawHall88
AG
Goose said:

I'm at the Culwell Center in Garland watching Richardson Pearce play Sulphur Springs and who shows up to watch but our man Billy Kennedy.
To see Drew Timme, I'm guessing.
Craigy
Saw Sulphur Springs at Denison on Tuesday. SS has a couple of super athletes. One of them is a big. I'm interested to see how they would do tonight
Goose
AG
Timme for sure, and SS has some talent as well (first time seeing SS). Kid that stands out to me for SS is Michael Jefferson - 6'6" PG/SG, class of 2020. He's skilled, good athlete, good handles.
Wizard
I want a blue chip big and a white guy that's a coach on the court and is a lights out shooter
Goose
AG
BK stuck around (as expected) to watch South Garland vs Plano East too.

Edit: later saw that Tom Izzo was in attendance as well.
Hop
Staff
AG
Here is your recruiting thread, Method Man. Hey look, you don't have to scroll through 10 pages of Josh Hampton recruitment to get to the end.
rlb28
AG
Khavon Moore trimmed his list to four and A&M didn't make the cut...
kling
AG
Has Billy offered Louisville's Brian Bowen? I think it would be a great risk/reward deal if we offer him.
LawHall88
AG
2018 PF Robert Braswell, from South Carolina:

Quote:

Robert Braswell, PF, Blythewood: The breakout performer from this event, at least for me, was 6-foot-8 gangly face up forward Robert Braswell. He's starting to garner some high major attention and it's warranted. Braswell is long, mobile and athletic. He bounces off the ground with ease and reacts to plays quickly. Braswell showed good hands and nice touch inside as well. But where he impressed the most on offense was with his jump shot. He shot the ball with confidence and made multiple three-pointers in my viewing. Braswell is an unsigned senior and appears to be emerging at just the right time.

Recruiting: Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Campbell, Winthrop
https://247sports.com/Article/Chick-Fil-A-Classic-Who-stood-out-112643189

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.