A&M staff here at the Hoopsgiving Classic in Houston

2,178 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Oak Forest Ag
Hickory High
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For the 5th straight year, I'm here at the Hoopsgiving Classic watching some of the states best high school teams. This year, the location moved from Second Baptist to my alma mater, Houston Christian. The competition quality has increased every year, and it's now one of the premiere events for the Texas high school hoops season.

Currently, Westlake is taking on Tompkins, and the entire Aggie staff is here rubbing elbows with some Houston basketball godfathers and watching a few targets.
Players of note:
Westlake-
Brock Cunningham (Texas)
Will Baker
Matthew Mayer (Baylor)

Tompkins-
Jamal Bieniemy (OU)
Kristian Sjolund (Georgia Tech)

Aggie staff is most likely here to see Will Baker. There's some other great players for both teams, but I don't know their names yet. As in previous years, I'll try to provide some updates as the night progresses.

Houston Christian vs Yates is next.
Hickory High
AG
Also on Westlake is Keonte Kennedy (Xavier). Westlake has an incredible team this year.
Hickory High
AG
Tompkins has CJ Washington (UAB) as well.
Hickory High
AG
Westlake obliterates Tompkins 82-62.

Westlake was just clearly the more talented, better coached team. They'll be a state championship favorite for sure. Hope we can land this Will Baker kid next year.

Houston Christian vs Yates next is the day's premiere matchup.
Hickory High
AG
Players of note:
Houston Christian-
Miller Kopp (Northwestern)
Sahvir Wheeler (A&M)
Jalon Clark (Texas A&M-CC)
Blake Foley (Basketball University AAU team)

Yates-
A bunch of fast, athletic dudes that press, just like every year. Their team definitely has some of the best names in the country, such as: Jabraylon, Jaquarious, Danquale, Jock, Wellington, Kehlin Farooq, Jeshon, Latrell, and Rubin.
Hickory High
AG
My alma mater looks real good
Hickory High
AG
Miller Kopp looks really good.
bobinator
Hickory High
AG
21-19 Yates at the end of the 1st Q

Yates has Jock Hughes, who's committed to Coach Keller at SFA. Has most of the Yates points.
Hickory High
AG
Kopp just had a NASTY one handed putback dunk. Got the whole arena standing up. White boy can get UP.
Hickory High
AG
Wheeler has a great attitude on the court. Really receptive to coaching.
Hickory High
AG
56-37 Houston Christian at the half. HC imposing their will.

Wheeler has been handling the famous Yates full court trap beautifully. Not a single guy in a Yates uniform can stay with him. Splits double teams easy, finds the open guy when the help defender comes.
Hickory High
AG
Probably leaving this one early. HC clearly the better team. Been pretty funny watching Yates guys attempt to pick up Wheeler full court.
Method Man
Excellent thread. Thank you.
LonghornsNo1
I was sitting right behind the A&M staff. Random thoughts on the day:

Kopp looked really, really good. I too was impressed with Wheeler's handling of press. Would like to see him do some high level PG stuff (like find the kid who looked 12 and had buried 2 3s in a row and was wide open for a third) but he has improved and put on some muscle. His ball handling was outstanding. Still, Jalen Jackson from Wagner looked to me to be the most D1 ready 2019 PG I saw today.

Was also impressed with Baker. Every bit of 6-11 and really should have touched the ball on every possession. I could definitely see him as a fit for for the Ags.

I don't think Westlake can hang with Falls because their guard play is underwhelming. To be honest, that was the first remote test for Wagner and I think they end up the best team in Centex. But Westlake's size is impressive and they play really heady basketball.

Concordia's Pierce Hellums might be the best HS shooter in the State. Watched them warm up prior to the Silsbee game and I don't think he missed a shot. I didn't even see one touch the rim. He can flat out shoot the rock. Concordia moved to 18-0 after an 8 pt win over a silsbee team missing over half their players to football. Not sure how you play 18 games by November 22.

And an aside having nothing to do with today - I would love to see the A&M staff jump on Morton Ranch's Eddie Lampkin. He's a 6-9 2020 big whose older brother starts on OU's defense. Doesn't fit nearly as well in Norman and reminds me a LOT of a young Tyler Davis. His stat line vs Shadow Creek Tuesday night - 15 pts, 22 rebs, 11 assists. Crazy vision out of the post.
Swill94
AG
It's so weird hearing westlake is good at basketball now. When I went there men's and women's basketball was our Achilles
Oak Forest Ag
AG
Hickory High said:

Yates-
A bunch of fast, athletic dudes that press, just like every year. Their team definitely has some of the best names in the country, such as: Jabraylon, Jaquarious, Danquale, Jock, Wellington, Kehlin Farooq, Jeshon, Latrell, and Rubin.
Danquale? For real?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.