Way way way too early RPI

3,072 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by miller0926
boboguitar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
#2 RPI Rank
94 Killer
AG
Look at that top 10... yeah, way too early.
Badace52
AG
I don't think that is accurate enough to even take seriously, this one looks more like it should at this point based on our current profile with room to move up quickly:
A&M at 43
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CapCityAg89
AG
Badace52 said:

I don't think that is accurate, this one looks more like it should:
A&M at 43

Question: why does that look like it should? A&M as played 3 P5 schools (PSU, WVU, OSU) all of whom are undefeated aside from their A&M loss. Now, you can get to opponents-opponents, but I challenge you to find 42 other teams with those kinds of opponents.
mallen
AG
How the heck does 43 make sense?
CapCityAg89
AG
Also - that board has WVU at #12 and OSU at #29. Just sayin'
PatAg
AG
Nice troll
Aston04
AG
But in fairness bobos link was a hot mess too. How does a 2-1 utexas Arlington get ranked 4th? Etc
Mikeyshooter
AG
KenPom.

End of thread.
Badace52
AG
I mean this as if the RPI were a continuance last years record and our RPI was pretty bad by the end of last year. There aren't enough data points for that RPI list to mean anything (just look at it). Since most of our team from last year is back, it is fair to continue their RPI from last year. I think we are a legit top 10 team this year, and if you look at my post history regarding the team you will see that is fact. If this were a continuance of last year's RPI this is where it should be up to this point.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CapCityAg89
AG
Well that makes a ton of more sense.

With that said, I think the point to both is that statistical analysis at this point is garbage. I'd argue RPI at almost any point in basketball is garbage, but that's another argument.
bobinator
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

With that said, I think the point to both is that statistical analysis at this point is garbage. I'd argue RPI at almost any point in basketball is garbage, but that's another argument.
I don't even think there's an argument. The RPI is trash.
boboguitar
AG
bobinator said:

CapCityAg89 said:

I don't even think there's an argument. The RPI is trash.
Agreed but it matters to the selection committee.
bobinator
AG
I know, it's absurd.

But the RPI is mostly trash at the end of the season, it's absolutely trash at the beginning of the season.
AggieSportsGuy
AG
No rankings at all. EOT. There haven't been even close to enough games for any of these ranking or predictive models to have any significance.
miller0926
AG
https://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings/nitty-gritty-report

Made the jump to number 1 after last night. Our resume is shaping up nicely.
miller0926
AG
Meh, fell back to 2 after yesterday's games. Temple got a nice boost by beating South Carolina and our SOS took a little hit from UTRGV.

https://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings/nitty-gritty-report
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.