Development Update: New User Profiles!

1,597 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Stewade
Stewade
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
HOWDY. I've been hinting at updated user profiles for a while now, but TODAY IS THE DAY. We had to shelve the development of them for a couple months as we had to update some behind-the-scenes stuff (new story publisher, auto-sharing options, etc.), but we decided that with a possible likely coaching search on the horizon, this would be a great time to release these (feel free to go ahead and bookmark Billy's profile page).

How to view a user's profile
Desktop
1. Click a username on the forums
2. Click "User Profile"

Mobile
1. Tap the gray strip where the username appears
2. Tap "Profile"

How to update your profile
You can either go straight to your account settings page (scroll down to the "User Profile" section), or go to your own profile page and click the "Edit" button next to your photo.

How to add a profile photo
In the next version of the user profiles, you will be able to to upload a photo, but for now, you'll need to find an existing photo online and copy/paste the URL into the "Profile Photo" field in your account settings (the URL must end in .jpg, .png or .gif).

How to search for a user
We don't have the profiles built into the site search yet, so this only currently only exists on the desktop site.
1. Go to a user profile page
2. Scroll down until you see "User Search" on the left-hand side
3. Type in a user's name and hit "Find"
Note: It won't auto-complete, so you'll need to type in the name correctly.

FAQ: "Can users see the posts I make on a subscriber-only forum?"
Users will only be able to see other posts from forums that they also have access to.

For example, a free user cannot view any posts made by a Premium subscriber on the Premium forum. And Premium users cannot view any posts made by a Varsity subscriber on the Varsity forum. They will see that you made a post, but won't be able to see the topic title or view the content of the post (it will just say "Topic Title Hidden").

THE FUTURE
We wanted to launch these ASAP, so we had to leave out a few bells and whistles for now. One update we'll be making is the ability to upload a photo (as discussed above). Another, and my personal favorite, will be user awards. I won't spill all the beans about what those will be, but we'll be awarding users based on post count, blue stars, POTD, and lots-o-other things. And lastly, we're going to create a page that will display the user blue star rankings (you can see your rank on your profile, but can't view a list yet).

That about covers it. Thanks to Lucid for all his hard work getting this up quickly. Enjoy!
JJxvi
AG
I'm only down with this if one of the eventual badges is "King of Forum 7" and whoever we suspect is The Lover on that day gets to be "Court Jester of Forum 7"
bobinator
AG
A badge for what forum you post most on would be kind of cool. That way we'd know when the animals are loose from the other boards over here.
JJxvi
AG
What forum you post on is on the profile. You have a 74.4% Basketball Forum record. You have a higher blue star rating than me, so I guess I hate you now.
bobinator
AG
Oh cool, I guess I should actually click on it...

My second most posted board is the football board... I almost forgot I used to post over there sometimes. Those were simpler times.
boboguitar
AG
Your db needs some work. It takes a very long time to pull threads when going to the user page which causes the page to load very slowly. You might consider loading the threads separately from page load or work on optimizing your db calls.

Edit: On 2nd load, it does look like your caching the response at least. So it's quick the 2nd time. I'd still recommend loading threads separately.
JJxvi
AG
Stewade
Staff
AG
JJxvi said:

I'm only down with this if one of the eventual badges is "King of Forum 7" and whoever we suspect is The Lover on that day gets to be "Court Jester of Forum 7"
[eyeballs emoji]
JJxvi
AG
Most flagged poster on the basketball board for a certain period should get the "MARLOWNED!" badge.
Stewade
Staff
AG
boboguitar said:

Your db needs some work. It takes a very long time to pull threads when going to the user page which causes the page to load very slowly. You might consider loading the threads separately from page load or work on optimizing your db calls.

Edit: On 2nd load, it does look like your caching the response at least. So it's quick the 2nd time. I'd still recommend loading threads separately.
I think the database might be getting overloaded by the amount of people looking at profiles right now. Lucid is looking into it, though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.