Story from RushTheCourt on our post defense

1,929 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by David_Puddy
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Some cool stuff here. I'd be interested to see those splits later in the season as Williams has more games under his belt.
Belton Ag
AG
Looking ahead, I'm wondering how Kennedy is going to be able to keep that up with the departure of both Williams and Trocha. I've heard good things about Nebo in terms of his quickness and shot blocking ability but haven't seen it in action, and this incoming class, so far, isn't looking like we'll see any additions there.
GrayMatter
AG
bobinator said:

Some cool stuff here. I'd be interested to see those splits later in the season as Williams has more games under his belt.
Nice find! That goes along with BK's scheme of taking away team's open looks inside the arc and not worrying too much about shots outside the 3 point arc. What we're doing defensively isn't so obvious to the naked eye, but it's giving other team's coaches fits in trying to figure out how to score.

Case in point, Carr went off in the first half making incredible perimeter shots, but they were contested and he couldn't match the same production in the 2nd half because he wasn't taking high percentage shots near the rim. It also didn't hurt that Gilder was on him like white on rice, but Penn St couldn't figure out how to make shots inside the arc either.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
wacarnolds
AG
very good read.

According to hoop-math, we're currently 52nd nationally at preventing shots at the rim, against a difficult schedule with Robert Williams in and out of the lineup. Have to think we'll end up close to top 25 by the end of the year again.

The article says we had a FG% defense of ~.560 last year. Hoop-math had us at .643, which is a pretty big difference. Does the RTC article say where they get the data from?
jckund
wacarnolds said:

very good read.

According to hoop-math, we're currently 52nd nationally at preventing shots at the rim, against a difficult schedule with Robert Williams in and out of the lineup. Have to think we'll end up close to top 25 by the end of the year again.

The article says we had a FG% defense of ~.560 last year. Hoop-math had us at .643, which is a pretty big difference. Does the RTC article say where they get the data from?
Hey I'm actually the author. Appreciate all the feedback. You guys did have FG% defense of 56% at the rim last season. The 64.3% is offense (sometimes Hoop-Math reverts back to offense when parsing through data).
wacarnolds
AG
jck said:

Hey I'm actually the author. Appreciate all the feedback. You guys did have FG% defense of 56% at the rim last season. The 64.3% is offense (sometimes Hoop-Math reverts back to offense when parsing through data).
Hey! Looks like you're right, it does appear to randomly transpose the O & D numbers.
safety guy
AG
We gotta do a better job getting defensive rebounds. That will kill us if we can't get that fixed.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Quote:

A long, athletic team fresh off a Sweet Sixteen appearance and returning a likely lottery pick proceeded to suffer a painstaking nine single-digit losses to NCAA Tournament teams.
Who was our returning lottery pick last year?
ConLaw
AG
Robert Williams.

More of a football guy, I take it.
PatAg
AG
ConLaw said:

Robert Williams.

I honestly don't know if you are trolling, and I don't recognize your username, but here is some knowledge for you.

Robert Williams was a freshman last year. We made the NCAA and went to the Sweet 16 2 years ago, as the article states. There was no returning lottery pick.

I'm guessing you are more of a quidditch guy?
expresswrittenconsent
ConLaw said:

Robert Williams.

Robert Williams was a fish last year, not a returning player.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Stick to lawyering, smart ass.
Adam87inSA
AG
That article was red meat for a basketball junkie
David_Puddy
AG
Junkhead said:

Stick to lawyering, smart ass.

When keeping it real goes wrong
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.