Tonight showed 3 things

5,135 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Bocephus
Rydyn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My concern was the press break. You have to attack it. Fast to change the angles of the defense. We bring it up slowly and it's easy to keep sagging into the passing lane.
Richierich2323
I'm not worried about the defense or the press break. The defensive issues were partly due to the foul calls and the press break is easily fixed and we didn't look too terrible at it as the game wore on....what I do worry about is our HC offense.

Too much standing around...and not enough movement either for a reason or to keep the defense occupied. I was suprised our FG% was in the 50's after the first half but we did get a lot of easy bunnies in the post that helped.
Pumpkinhead
AG
My guess is that Caldwell & Co. will be generally fine breaking presses. I'd just hold off on worrying much about that issue unless even with Caldwell in the lineup and a few more games under their belt, there seems to be a major issue there.

Stone44
AG
This team can beat you in multiple ways. Hogg was off but several others picked up the slack. Very deep bench that wears out the opponent in the second half. If they continue to improve the have Final Four potential.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Richierich2323 said:

what I do worry about is our HC offense.

May be shocking, but with today's game results now in, Texas A&M is ranked #13 in the country in offensive efficiency (points scored per possession) and #5 in the country in defensive efficiency (points allowed per possession). Our defensive efficiency took a bit of a hit today falling from #2 to #5, but our offensive numbers took a massive jump up the rankings. A&M now ranked #6 nationally overall on Kenpom.

So as of 4 games in, the advanced metrics are still holding that Texas A&M is playing 'elite' level college basketball compared to their peers.

https://kenpom.com/

Top-6 overall teams on Kenpom as of tonight:

#1 Villanova (#3 offense, #6 defense)
#2 Kansas (#6 offense, #4 defense)
#3 Arizona (#2 offense, #18 defense)
#4 Wichita State (#4 offense, #10 defense)
#5 Duke (#1 offense, #37 defense)
#6 Texas A&M (#13 offense, #5 defense)

GrayMatter
AG
bobinator said:

Caldwell is going to have to prove that he's better than Wilson
He's going to have to otherwise he won't see the floor a whole lot.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
2nd Generation Ag
Remember Wilson is a fifth year senior and Caldwell is a freshman. Big difference
GrayMatter
AG
True but Caldwell isn't a true freshman. He's been with the team longer than Wilson which gives him some sort of an edge.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens when they throw the ball up on Friday.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
PJYoung
AG
CactusThomas said:

It's always going to be hard to limit scoring when the refs are calling touch fouls all night on you. Sometimes you just have to out score your opponent - we can do that.

Yep. We can beat you many ways, the sign of a great team.
Bocephus
AG
Gilder was doing fine on Carr until they had their post literally push him away from Carr with a moving screen. Carr was as hot as any player I have seen against us in a while. I was frustrated with our defense in the first half bc I thought Trocha failed to keep up with their bigs and it lead to s couple easy layups.

Excited the Hogg was off and someone (Wilson) stepped up. Was excited to see Hogg not nope, and instead he played well on the defensive end and hit a big 3 and some free throws.

We need to clean up some of the stupid turnovers from lazy passes and not catching the ball. For the most part we play like a mature team though and do not panic. I really like the quickness that Starks and Wilson have shown.

As long as our 3's are falling we are going to be very tough to beat. Even if they are not, as long as the officiating is solid we should be able to go down low all day and beat most teams.

Refs in the last two games seemed willing to let the opponents hack all day down low in order to keep the games close and interesting.

As long as we stay healthy the sky is the limit with this group.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.