Tonight showed 3 things

5,162 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Bocephus
AGAZ03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1. We badly need a point guard.

2. We suck against the press. But when we get our PG we should be fine.

3. We are a physical team althat is mentally tough. Penn State was worn out and we looked more than ready.
letters at random
We sucked against the press, but Gilder was sitting with 4 fouls and Caldwell is still out. That said, it was really bad.
TjgtAg08
AG
It looked like we were totally unprepared for the press, maybe we didn't have time to scout and prepare for that? In the past we have actually been pretty decent against the press under Kennedy.
AGAZ03
AG
Agreed.

Wilson stepped up to score a lot but as far as a traditional PG distributing the ball abs setting up plays he has a a lot to be desired.

Caldwell can be a floor general like Acie.

Maybe not as good.
TjgtAg08
AG
Wilson did have 6 assists and only 2 turnovers, which is damn solid.
AGAZ03
AG
True but there are score first PGs and wait and get everyone involved PG.

jml2621

The problems with the press are fixable, and we adjusted in the end, when Gilder and Wilson were in together.

When Starks dribbles wildly down the sideline, it's easy to trap, as the sideline becomes a defender

When Tonny tries to dribble in the back-court instead of passing to RW or Davis, his pocket is picked.

Great win. Great tournament, Plenty to work on in practice. It's all good.
jml2621
austinaggie2008 said:

Wilson did have 6 assists and only 2 turnovers, which is damn solid.

Wilson's decision making was more than fine...he got better as the game went on.
EliteZags
AG
AGAZ03 said:

1. We badly need a point guard.

2. We suck against the press. But when we get our PG we should be fine.

3. We are a physical team althat is mentally tough. Penn State was worn out and we looked more than ready.

Showed me one thing: keep taking the over $$$
bobinator
AG
Our point guard went for 22 points and 6 assists and we're complaining?

It showed me something that I've criticized Kennedy about before, and it's that we are soft with the ball when teams get physical with us. Across the board.
bobinator
AG
That said, it was still overall a good game.
DCAggie13y
AG
We were down 2 key players tonight and playing a lot of freshman. I'm not worried.
cedar
The pg play was fine. Letting tonny be the middle man against the press was stupid. We have really good players coach. Just don't let the x and o get in the way.
CactusThomas
AG
bobinator said:

It showed me something that I've criticized Kennedy about before, and it's that we are soft with the ball when teams get physical with us. Across the board.

Ridiculous officiating dictated that. We were getting hammered when we went up strong.
wacarnolds
AG
1. We're good.
2. Real good.
3. Really fn good
Aston04
AG
With the quality of guards we have this year- that's a joke having Trocha involved with bringing the ball up.

One thing I noticed is way too many lob passes (not the kind for alley up dunks- those are good). Also, guys catching the ball were often too lazy coming to it. Good news is this can all be fixed easily and Caldwell should provide reinforcements in this area.
CapCityAg89
AG
1- PG play was awesome (note: Acie led the team in scoring his last two years).

2- we obviously weren't prepared against the press, but I don't think a fish fixes that. I think more than 1 day to prepare when we're not still working on us instead of them WILL help.

3- we are physically fit but the effort to press and come back from 18 down is huge. They got close and it wore them out.
t - cam
AG
Aston04 said:

With the quality of guards we have this year- that's a joke having Trocha involved with bringing the ball up.

One thing I noticed is way too many lob passes (not the kind for alley up dunks- those are good). Also, guys catching the ball were often too lazy coming to it. Good news is this can all be fixed easily and Caldwell should provide reinforcements in this area.

A big man in the middle is a staple of breaking the press. We just used the wrong big man.
bobinator
AG
I agree the officials had something to do with it, but I'm not talking about around the basket. I'm talking about making good, strong passes. Way too many soft passes around the perimeter and when you know they're slapping and hacking at the ball you can't do that.

Foul trouble was also a big part of it because we were limited in who we could put on the court, but Trocha especially was just way too careless with the ball.
Know Your Enemy
AG
We are not aggressive enough on the glass and it drives me bonkers. 90% of rebounding is desire.
MooseJr1994
AG
Played a little sloppy at times, without out best PG, put up 98 points and won. I'd say we have a little potential.
CactusThomas
AG
Agreed. Offense was impressive for the most part but definitely some lazy passes.
bobinator
AG
Caldwell is going to have to prove that he's better than Wilson
adk9595
AG
Completely agree about the press...and we still expanded the lead and scored 98 points. This is a really good team without their PG. With him, this team has reason for high expectations.
Aston04
AG
t - cam said:

Aston04 said:

A big man in the middle is a staple of breaking the press. We just used the wrong big man.
no trocha was playing in the back court parallel to Wilson, that's a terrible spot for him.
bobinator
AG
I did think Penn State made a good adjustment to just absolutely sell out for steals in the backcourt knowing that they flat out couldn't stop us once we got into the front court.
GigEm81
AG
1. We did not defend well all night.
2. We need to work on press break-easily fixable
3. We can play inconsistently against a good team and still win.
bobinator
AG
We defended pretty well in some stretches, especially to start the second half when Gilder was shutting down Carr. But overall it wasn't our best effort to be sure.
GigEm81
AG
Start of 2nd half was best defensive stretch. But Penn State actually scored more the 2nd half than they did in 1st.

And out guards all struggled on the defensive end.
OKC~Ag
Wow, this is potentially greatest A&M team...

i recall many years ago A&M teams struggling just to get 50 point by end of game...
GigEm81
AG
OKC-Ag, I fully agree. This team has so many weapons it is mind boggling. This can be a great team. Was fun to watch tonight. Should have a really good year.
Pumpkinhead
AG
A&M made 26 of 29 free throws in this game tonight? Good grief. Is that some kind of record? Definitely unusual.
CactusThomas
AG
It's always going to be hard to limit scoring when the refs are calling touch fouls all night on you. Sometimes you just have to out score your opponent - we can do that.
GigEm81
GigEm81
AG
Pumpkinhead, on the foul shots, the new kids all have beautiful strokes from charity stripe. TD also has much improved touch. Rwill still a work in process but good news is this should be a good foul shooting team.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.