Best Lockdown Defender in Aggie History

4,530 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TyHolden
RG20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who is it?

I will throw out there Dominique Kirk. Guarded every teams best player EVERY game for BCG.

I don't see anything like him on this team...

Who else you got?
astros4545
AG
Dro was pretty great
Complete Idiot
Kirk for nostalgia
Aldo the Apache
AG
Gotta be Kirk
GCP12
AG
I'd say Roland. I think Gilder can be a really good defender. I think his basketball IQ and anticipation are off the charts. Just lacks a little height/length to be elite
AGAZ03
AG
Roland or Pompey.

Both underrated.
Aggie1205
AG
I would go Kirk, Roland, and then Pompey. All very good.
TXM Pride
Kirk for sure.
TjgtAg08
AG
Kirk for sure.

But did you notice that Carr went on that run in the first half when Gilder had to sit? That defense Gilder played in the second half was Kirk-esque. It was incredible.
GE
AG
Kirk with Gilder nipping at his heels
CT75
AG
Sonny Parker was darn good too
t - cam
AG
Kirk was really good. Hard not to mention the entire Gillespie rosters. They were just nasty, especially that first tournament team that literally won a lot of games with less than 50 points.
jml2621

Statistically, this TEAM is so far.

I've never seen a BK team play this well defending the perimeter. Only our TOs against the press in the second half prevented a complete blowout.

jml2621
t - cam said:

Kirk was really good. Hard not to mention the entire Gillespie rosters. They were just nasty, especially that first tournament team that literally won a lot of games with less than 50 points.

Both the 2006 and 2007 teams were ferocious.
tam2002
AG
Think it's kirk and maybe by a wide margin
Adam87inSA
AG
D Kirk
94chem
Mike Clifford
cs69ag
AG
Kirk likely the best in the modern era

Pompey likely the most versatile....BCG would put Marlon on the other teams best offensive player....
did not matter if the guy was 6'0" or 6'11". I think Marlon was 6'8".

Marlon was not know for his free throw shooting. First time BCG coached against t.u., he let Marlon foul out in the first half....did not want him on the court at end of the game. Ags won in an upset!
bobinator
AG
It's Kirk and it's not close if we're talking about the ability to erase someone.
tamu05ag
Chris Walker!
t - cam
AG
cs69ag said:

Kirk likely the best in the modern era

Pompey likely the most versatile....BCG would put Marlon on the other teams best offensive player....
did not matter if the guy was 6'0" or 6'11". I think Marlon was 6'8".

Marlon was not know for his free throw shooting. First time BCG coached against t.u., he let Marlon foul out in the first half....did not want him on the court at end of the game. Ags won in an upset!

This description was meant for Kirk right? Marlon was good but he's been overrated by some as time has gone by. He was strong but not a great athlete and used his fouls wisely.
DCAggie13y
AG
Kirk. EOT.
CypressAg09
AG
Gilder was pretty solid against Carr. He did most of his damage in the first half when gilder was on the bench with foul trouble.
MEEN Ag 05
AG
DKirk for sure. I think it was Kirk who completely SHUT DOWN Gerry McNamerea in the NCAA tourny - held him to only two points. Only time in GM's career he didn't hit a jumper.

That 2006 game against tu was coaching brillance by BCG. The refs were being ridiculous touchy, especially down low. Jo Jones got two quick fouls so BCG sat him and put Pompey in. Pompey racked up two, three, four fouls. BCG left him in. Then Pompey fouled out with about a minute left in the first half. It served as a wake up call to the refs (who were much less sensitive in the second half) and saved JJones for the back part of the game. First time we rushed the basketball court in a long time - maybe ever. The rest is history.
GrayMatter
AG
What about Caruso, the all-time steals leader?
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
bobinator
AG
Not even close to Kirk as a lockdown man to man defender. Completely different kind of good defender.
t - cam
AG
AggieBaller98 said:

What about Caruso, the all-time steals leader?

Best off ball defender? It's definitely worth pointing out.
bobinator
AG
Williams is probably the best off ball defender, but Caruso might be the best perimeter off ball defender?
BBDP
AG
Kirk guarded KD both times.
He did not shut him down but that shows what BCG thought of him.
RG20
Caruso was a great anticipator. He would shoot the gap, get in passing lanes, anticipate drives to get into good help position. But, he also go backdoored at least once a game. But, I would not call him a lock down defender. I would actually take sloan over Alex for on ball D.
monkeyaround
Rynn Wright in the late 70s, early 80s.
millertime40
Kirk, but very close. Some of you guys are crazy if you think Kirk was head and shoulders better than derrick roland defensively.
bobinator
AG
Roland was really good, but Kirk was better and I really don't think it was very close. That's not at all a knock on Roland, just a credit to how insanely good Kirk was.
Ulrich
Kirk was scary good. He stood out on an incredible defensive team. Roland was very good, but I have to go with Kirk.
aggiebones
AG
Kirk for sure
Roland would have been, lost senior year.
Gilder will be, early junior year.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.