*****Aggies vs. Penn State-Legends Classic Championship*****

29,913 Views | 628 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by eag2412
mcag83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CypressAg09 said:

26/29 from the stripe. That's gotta be the best free throw shooting game we've had in a long time!!!
Deputy Travis Junior
What a weird game for our offense. We shot really well and showed great ball movement at times (we looked like Lob City at times), but their pressure destroyed us. We had 17 turnovers, 15 of them to Penn State steals.
3rdGen2015
AG
Good win on a neutral court against a potential bubble team
Aggies1322
AG
ClassOf17 said:

Aggies1322 said:

These announcers are insufferable. "Penn State hanging with a really good team".... we were up 14.

Considering how we ran WVU and OSU our if the gym, that is an accomplishment
Also considering our best shooter was 2/11 and we still do not have our starting PG, its not that much of an accomplishment.
Morpholino
AG
Wilson with 22 points. Williams with 22 and 9.
Sports-Ag
AG
Good win. Free throws helped. When this team is on they are on and fun to watch. Need to work on the press.
agfan1030
So Vegas set total at 140. Missed it a little.
Deputy Travis Junior
CypressAg09 said:

Pretty awesome when we can have a rough game and still win by double digits
We allowed way too many steals, but aside from those turnovers we played a pretty great game. 60/50/89 from the field/3/FT line is red hot shooting.
mcag83
BanderaAg956
Learn to break the press!
Learn to stop floating the pass for turnovers.
Keep the offensive active and moving!

Do those things and keep shooting well, this team could become very good!
BanderaAg956
Aggies1322 said:

ClassOf17 said:

Aggies1322 said:

These announcers are insufferable. "Penn State hanging with a really good team".... we were up 14.

Also considering our best shooter was 2/11 and we still do not have our starting PG, its not that much of an accomplishment.

With all due respect, those are the reasons it is a great accomplishment!
PatAg
AG
Personally, I'd rather not have my PG be the leading scorer, but still a great offensive game and nice chemistry with Williams in this game.
jml2621
txag72 said:

Trocha throws in from inbounds too. BK uses the big guy to see over the D.

That's OK, but Trocha should not be DRIBBLING and trying to break the press in the back court.

Once we switched to GILDER and WILSON in the back-court, with Williams and Davis as TARGETS in the front court near the end of the game, we were fine.

Tonny's handles isn't good enough, and he brings the ball down too often.
JJxvi
AG
40-0
MidTnAg
AG
Impressive win. Ags look fantastic against a decent Penn St team (#57 Massey, #52 Sagarin) on a neutral court.

We need to play (schedule) more games against teams of this caliber instead of the cupcakes on our schedule.

We improve a lot more against Penn State-like teams. Such games tend to show up some of our weaknesses (e.g., inability of adequately handle a full-court pressure) that we need to correct before SEC games.
jml2621
drevans956 said:

Aggies1322 said:

ClassOf17 said:

Aggies1322 said:

With all due respect, those are the reasons it is a great accomplishment!
I think he meant the opposite.

60%FG shooting for us; 26-29 from the line

PSU shot only 26.3% from the line due to our defense

Those are more Duke-likes numbers more than A&M numbers.

Too many TOs in the 2nd half with the press, but eliminate a few issues, we're OK

1. Starks should not dribble wildly down the sideline into a trap

2. Trocha should not be trying to dribble to break the press in the backcourt.

agfan1030
PatAg said:

Personally, I'd rather not have my PG be the leading scorer, but still a great offensive game and nice chemistry with Williams in this game.
Personally, if you're hot.....go with it. Wilson's play tonight was not selfish. Glad he made 22 instead of 10 tonight. He subbed his scoring for DJ's tonight.
mcag83
jml2621
agfan1030 said:

PatAg said:

Personally, if you're hot.....go with it. Wilson's play tonight was not selfish. Glad he made 22 instead of 10 tonight. He subbed his scoring for DJ's tonight.

Wilson made effective adjustments...chilled down and took what the D gave him.

7-10 FG; 7-7 FT; 6 assists ; 3 rebounds...stuffing the stat sheet effectively. MVP.
gougler08
AG
THis team has a lot of options on offense and I think we will not see many low scoring games this year

We do need to work on some areas like the press, defensive rebounding, etc but it's really nice to not have to rely on only one or two people each game to get points
Mike Elko
AG
Gig 'em.
jml2621

We're playing at a 3-seed level IMO.

Keep learning. Keep growing. Don't be satisfied. Burn that fire hot.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
jml2621 said:

agfan1030 said:

PatAg said:

7-10 FG; 7-7 FT; 6 assists ; 3 rebounds...stuffing the stat sheet effectively. MVP.
Not only did he make effective adjustments he did it at a time they needed it most. PS was making a run and he scored 7 or 9 in a row. He was fantastic attacking the rim
Adam87inSA
AG
CypressAg09 said:

Pretty awesome when we can have a rough game and still win by double digits
and wind up a pair shy of dropping a hundy on a good team.
NoHo Hank
AG
agfan1030 said:

PatAg said:

I have no idea what PatAg is talking about. We had 18 assists on 33 made FG. That's a good indication that the offense was rolling. Point guards need to set the offense up and work within it. There is no reason that they can't be scoring within the framework. The Spurs won a championship with Tony Parker as their leading scorer and that's the gold standard of coaching in the NBA.
redjalapeno-87
That was a good win against a pretty good PSU team that was scrappy. The Ags had more talent and length. There were many mistakes tonight that need correcting, but the talent level overcame those mistakes tonight. That may not happen against the top teams. Hopefully we can clean that up.

I am encouraged by the guard play so far. #13 is a good player to have on the team this year. I think he will get even better as the season progresses and he plays with this squad. The bigs are going to get the job done this year!
jml2621
MosesHallRAB04 said:

jml2621 said:

agfan1030 said:

PatAg said:

Not only did he make effective adjustments he did it at a time they needed it most. PS was making a run and he scored 7 or 9 in a row. He was fantastic attacking the rim

Wilson found the seam in the D, and kept calling that play, driving the left side of the lane effectively. Duane is FAR more EXPLOSIVE than expected. Got an extra rung in that ladder!

Great pick-up. I underestimated his value, besides "break glass in an emergency."
Charlie 31
AG
wacarnolds
AG
Charlie 31 said:

wacarnolds said:

We're gonna need a bigger trophy case
AggieTFA06
AG
Looked a bit ugly in the middle of the 2nd half with Penn State using the press, but glad to get the win. Always good to win a tournament in November.

Hope we will improve from this.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
PatAg
AG
john32f said:

agfan1030 said:

PatAg said:

I have no idea what PatAg is talking about. We had 18 assists on 33 made FG. That's a good indication that the offense was rolling. Point guards need to set the offense up and work within it. There is no reason that they can't be scoring within the framework. The Spurs won a championship with Tony Parker as their leading scorer and that's the gold standard of coaching in the NBA.
I base my takes off of actually watching the game. I even stated that he had nice chemistry with Williams in the game.
That being said, I don't feel like we did a good job of involving the rest of our offense.

Assuming Caldwell is as advertised, this ability to drive and score is going to be another great weapon in our offense. Other teams will basically have to shut down 3-4 facets of our game to keep us down, I think.
eag2412
AG
Anybody know where one could download a replay of the game?
PatAg
AG
eag2412 said:

Anybody know where one could download a replay of the game?
The last few games it's ended up on youtube, someone usually links on here.
ontheway
AG
AggieTFA06 said:

Looked a bit ugly in the middle of the 2nd half with Penn State using the press, but glad to get the win. Always good to win a tournament in November.

Hope we will improve from this.

We are all excited to hear you are hoping for improvement.
ontheway
eag2412
AG
Found it:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.