80 possessions

2,360 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jml2621
wacarnolds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The game vs West Virigina had 80 possessions, according to kenpom, which is:
  • the fastest we've ever played against a high-major team under Kennedy (previous high of 78 at home vs LSU two years ago)
  • the fastest under any coach vs a high major since 2004 (Melvin vs Iowa St, 81 possessions).
  • the fastest game we've played under Kennedy since the 2014-2015 opener vs Northwestern St. (81 possessions). That's the only other time Kennedy's team has broken the 80 possession mark.

Very encouraging that, right out the gate with 2 starters missing and a midnight local tip, we have the ability to run teams off the court.
mdanyc03
AG
And encouraging that wv scored 65 points on 80 possessions. That is .85 points per possession, which would have led the country last year, against a team that scored 1.17 per possession last year and without the sec defensive player of the year.
CactusThomas
AG
I would have guessed that the legendary Baylor Boat Race 2 years ago would have been faster.
Pumpkinhead
AG
CactusThomas said:

I would have guessed that the legendary Baylor Boat Race 2 years ago would have been faster.
I think part of the reason for this is that we played West Virginia's style of game, so both teams were often aggressively pressuring 3/4ths to full court and trying to speed the game up. Neither team seemed very interested in slowing the tempo of the game down. So Texas A&M basically 'out West Virginia-ed' WVU and kicked their ass at their own game.

Any opponent this season who wants to play an athletic track meet style game, I suspect based on what we saw happen to WVU, Texas A&M is going to enthusiastically oblige.

And JJ Caldwell and Robert Williams will only add to the athleticism and number of guys on the Aggie roster who can excel out on the break.

The conference games versus opponents who loving track meets, such as vs. Arkansas, should be extra entertaining.
wacarnolds
AG
CactusThomas said:

Just 68 possessions. As PH pointed out, WVU playing uptempo played into the faster pace, whereas Baylor played at a pretty slow tempo in 2016 (#252 in adjusted tempo)
CactusThomas
AG
Interesting. Good stuff.
wacarnolds
AG
mdanyc03 said:

And encouraging that wv scored 65 points on 80 possessions. That is .85 points per possession, which would have led the country last year, against a team that scored 1.17 per possession last year and without the sec defensive player of the year.

Yeah the up and down games usually involve subpar defense, but we didn't miss a beat defensively
Tripacer
It doesn't hurt that TD is in great shape.
jml2621
mdanyc03 said:

Tough Defense, steals, breaking the press quickly for easy baskets, and our ability to score in transition explain both the higher tempo and high defensive efficiency.
jml2621
Pumpkinhead said:

CactusThomas said:

I think part of the reason for this is that we played West Virginia's style of game, so both teams were often aggressively pressuring 3/4ths to full court and trying to speed the game up. Neither team seemed very interested in slowing the tempo of the game down. So Texas A&M basically 'out West Virginia-ed' WVU and kicked their ass at their own game.

Any opponent this season who wants to play an athletic track meet style game, I suspect based on what we saw happen to WVU, Texas A&M is going to enthusiastically oblige.

And JJ Caldwell and Robert Williams will only add to the athleticism and number of guys on the Aggie roster who can excel out on the break.

The conference games versus opponents who loving track meets, such as vs. Arkansas, should be extra entertaining.

RW
Gilder
Wilson
Flagg
Starks
Chandler

all are athletic.

Davis and Hogg have also upgraded their athleticism adding speed, stamina... and strength, respectively.

I think this is the most athletic A&M squad I can remember. Their S&C looks very good so far. Fingers crossed we can stay healthy. Ordinarily, I like BK to use a short rotation, but we can legitimately go 9 to 10 deep.

Davis
RW
Hogg
Gilder
Caldwell

Trocha
Starks
Wilson
Flagg

Chandler

Jasey
Collins

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.