Billy

4,048 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 75AG
Gman7709
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're fortunate to have a man like Billy Kennedy leading our program. Godspeed sir!
mallen
AG
I think most fans form their personal opinion about BK based on A) win/loss and B) the expression of personality they see on the sideline during the very brief camera shots that happen a few times a game.

When we are winning the fans see a calm, cool collected coach who is orchestrating his team to victory.

When we are losing the fans see an expressionless, disinterested coach who is in over his head.

In reality, BK is pretty consistently the same man, win or lose. Players and coaches seem to love and respect him. The half time segment ESPN did with BK and Huggins did a good job showing some of the depth of Kennedy's personality, much of which fans rarely see.
MatthewRothell
AG
One game op calm down
dgrogers88
mhayden
I think far too many people can't separate liking the man and liking the coach. You see very, very few shots on him as an actual person from anyone on TA. But if you question how good someone is at the job they get paid for, some people go it defense-mode (ref: Dave South thread).
JMJLAW
AG
We sure have some senile people on this board. Win one game (they shot 30ish% from the floor- missing wide open shots, and we shot around 50%, plus 50% from three) and suddenly BK is a good coach again.
mdanyc03
AG
You made a complete fool of yourself on Friday and here you. Some people have no shame.
GE
AG
JMJLAW said:

We sure have some senile people on this board. Win one game (they shot 30ish% from the floor- missing wide open shots, and we shot around 50%, plus 50% from three) and suddenly BK is a good coach again.
1. Nice to see you've recovered from Friday. I was worried about you when you disappeared after the team started blowing them out. Hope that win didn't upset you too badly.

2. A&M's zone and superior conditioning had a lot to do with West Virginia's lack of success. They were taking off-balance shots because they had to rush them and took a bunch of threes because they couldn't do jack **** in the paint.
Iced-T14
AG
Your 100% right. Surely our defense had absolutely nothing to do with their poor shooting night.

On the same hand, an inside-out game where we move the ball around the floor consistently never gives open shots. We lucked out that our offensive and defensive game plan accomplished the exact opposite of what it was supposed to do
Pumpkinhead
AG
JMJLAW said:

There were three ways you could have gone as a TexAgs poster:

1) Hit pause on posting here until the first loss and then pop up again as soon as that happens.
2) Eat a little crow and compliment the team and coaches on a good win.
3) Double down on how bad you think the Aggie basketball program still is, and do the 'Oh, A&M didn't win the game, WVU just played badly' argument.

Looks like you chose Door #3.

BTW, I have now rewatched that entire game twice since Friday night on replay. Watching it multiple times now, it was completely clear that A&M was the better team than WVU. This was not an 'upset'. The Aggie team was more talented, more athletic overall, was in significantly better condition, and just flat out better prepared. They had only 8 turnovers in the first half and 5 of those were in the first 5 minutes. After about the 5 minute mark into the game, A&M was comfortably breaking WVU's vaunted press over and over again, and meanwhile aggressively pressuring WVU into several turnovers. The Aggies had problems finishing some layups from about the 5 minute mark until the 11 minute mark, which helped WVU still keep their lead for awhile. But then roughly about that 11 minute mark time, they seemed to gradually break WVU's will and pretty much beat their ass at their own game for the remainder of the contest.

A&M is just flat out better than WVU. If they replayed that game 10 times I think A&M wins it 8 or 9 out of 10 times.

JMJLAW
AG
Where was this "superior zone" the seasons we've had our a** consistently handed to us in prior seasons (except one where we were loaded with superior talent)?

So much senility.

And yes, I'm going to sit back and lmao once again when you same people go back into hiding as our "superior zone" yet again (INCLUDING against WV) leaves dozens of wide open shots.

We're going to have to shoot our way through the season and tourney this year. It wont be because of any "superior" defensive scheme.
GE
AG
A&M has consistently been a good defensive team under Kennedy.
GE
AG
And I don't think senility means what you think it means.
Pumpkinhead
AG
JMJLAW said:

It wont be because of any "superior" defensive scheme.
Even last year's team that was significantly flawed in terms of athleticism on the perimeter, finished 54th nationally out of 351 D1 teams in defensive efficiency.

Kennedy has always seemed to be a very competent defensive coach. The numbers have generally shown that he knows how to coach up defensive play. Our poor seasons have usually been because of issues in the offense categories.

With the athletes at guard that Kennedy has on this 2017-2018 team plus that elite front line, I'll be surprised if we don't finish as at least a Top-20 team on Kenpom this season on defense. We are going to be worst case 'very good' defensively. Somewhere between very good to insanely great.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Would you people please stop quoting that dumb****? It ruins the ignore function when you do that?
The Collective
AG
History shows the concern will be teams with good perimeter shooting. We will have to see what everything looks like once RW is back in the line-up. Hard to judge defensive weaknesses without his presence.
GE
AG
Junkhead said:

Would you people please stop quoting that dumb****? It ruins the ignore function when you do that?
Good idea, I forgot about that function.
Gman7709
AG
Mattr1015 said:

One game op calm down
My compliment of the coach doesn't have anything to do with winning or losing a game. From the outside, it appears he's running a good program and staying out of trouble. Seems like a lot of character there in an industry that's too often shown to be short on it.
Confucius
JMJLAW said:

I just feel sorry for the 10 year olds who have to put up with your s***ty coaching and fragile demeanor.
JMJLAW
AG
Internet tough guy? $100 of my money says you won't meet me in person. Is your demeanor that fragile or are you just another p*ssy behind a keyboard?

The apologizing and the excuse-making for BK is why we have a hard time becoming elite in basketball. Too many mouth breathers and too few who call it like it is. And 54th in defensive efficiency is an accomplishment? (I actually saw it listed at 108th for last year). How embarrassing. What standards do you guys set for your personal and professional lives?
AggieOO
JMJLAW said:

And 54th in defensive efficiency is an accomplishment? How embarrassing. What standards do you guys set for your personal and professional lives?

I think we'd all like to be #1, but 54th is top 15%...
JMJLAW
AG
True. A list that includes more than a 150+ financial power houses like Albany and Binghamton.
AggieOO
JMJLAW said:

True. A list that includes more than a 150+ financial power houses like Albany and Binghamton.

Let's change the statistics by not including all the data! Great argument.
CactusThomas
AG
JMJLAW said:

$100 of my money says you won't meet me in person.

Nobody wants to watch the games with you in Ft. Lauderdale. Nobody wants to meet you in person - even for $100. Find a new way to make friends.

LMAO.
Hop
Staff
AG
JMJLAW said:

Oh my....you're tripling down. Bold move, sir. The irony is incredible with the "slow down it's just one game" posters. The same people as yourself were pulling out the "same ole Kennedy...horrible coach" after 5 minutes of basketball.

This game-to-game "he's good!", "he's bad!" on both sides is ridiculous and lacking any real context of the program. I know what this team can do and its potential. If over the course of the year the team under-performs, we'll clearly see it. But you have to evaluate a series of games and circumstances behind those games to notice the coaching job. You don;t define a coaching job in 10 minute spans. If we did, Calipari was the worst D-1 coach in the country Friday night. Kentucky was losing by double-digits at home to Utah Valley St on Friday.

There's also recruiting and the pipeline. I'm more concerned that the staff has missed on 5-6 top targets that looked like they were leaning to A&M than winning or losing in Germany.

GrayMatter
AG
JMJLAW said:

Internet tough guy? $100 of my money says you won't meet me in person. Is your demeanor that fragile or are you just another p*ssy behind a keyboard?

The apologizing and the excuse-making for BK is why we have a hard time becoming elite in basketball. Too many mouth breathers and too few who call it like it is. And 54th in defensive efficiency is an accomplishment? (I actually saw it listed at 108th for last year). How embarrassing. What standards do you guys set for your personal and professional lives?
Actually quite the opposite. People like you are one of the reasons we have a hard time become elite in anything. Poor snowflake melts down 10 minutes into the season and starts calling for the coaches head. Really???

Your reading comprehension sucks and you showed your true colors and have yet to eat crow per your comments on that historical thread.
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
The Collective
AG
I seriously doubt people like the above poster are why we struggle at becoming elite. The people who matter and make the decisions around here are overly patient with the coaches we hire.
Hop
Staff
AG
CJS4715 said:

I seriously doubt people like the above poster are why we struggle at becoming elite. The people who matter and make the decisions around here are overly patient with the coaches we hire.
Yeah, if you want to know why A&M isn't elite just go over to the premium board right now and post a basketball topic and see how many "it's November, nobody cares. Bring it up in February after signing day."
85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

My compliment of the coach doesn't have anything to do with winning or losing a game. From the outside, it appears he's running a good program and staying out of trouble. Seems like a lot of character there in an industry that's too often shown to be short on it.
I don't think BK as a person or how he runs the program has ever been in question.
expresswrittenconsent
AggieOO said:

JMJLAW said:

And 54th in defensive efficiency is an accomplishment? How embarrassing. What standards do you guys set for your personal and professional lives?

I think we'd all like to be #1, but 54th is top 15%...

The fact that there are 350 teams is mostly irrelevant. We are competing with about 100 teams (63 other p5 schools and about 35 schools from leagues like the big east and aac) annually for about 40-45 ncaat spots and about 15 NIT spots.
If we are in the top half of those 100 schools, it generally was a good year that we went to the post season. If we finish 70th out of that group it doesnt really matter that there were 281 scrub teams below us and we were top 20%.
JMJLAW
AG
We don't have to change statistics. 54th sucks regardless except to all the mouth breathers on here. But let's go ahead and include all DII, DIII, and NAIA teams too, why don't we. They play basketball too right?
Iced-T14
AG
Challenge accepted
wacarnolds
AG
JMJLAW said:

We don't have to change statistics. 54th sucks regardless except to all the mouth breathers on here. But let's go ahead and include all DII, DIII, and NAIA teams too, why don't we. They play basketball too right?

You suck as a poster
AggieOO
JMJLAW said:

must suck to live life trying so hard to be miserable all the time.
Confucius
JMJLAW said:

Weren't you the one so desperate to meet the mouth breathers on here that you put up a pathetic join-up request to meet in Ft. Lauderdale?

My friendly advice to you: close JMJLAW down, start again under a new username, and try to be less of a d-bag poster next time.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.